RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Posts: 5,431,830
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 471
Newest member: kamkaran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 10 2013, 04:51 AM   #1
LobsterAfternoon
Commander
 
LobsterAfternoon's Avatar
 
Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

Do you guys think that there are certain Trek species that the powers that be think can't be regulars? Andorians and Tellarites are founders of the Federation, yet we've never had a regular series cast member from either species, and never had a single recurring Tellarite. We're told that the Federation is this wonderfully diverse society, yet we only ever see humans, a few vulcans, and the occasional Bolian. What do you guys attribute that too?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Do you guys think that there are certain Trek species that the powers that be think can't be regulars? Andorians and Tellarites are founders of the Federation, yet we've never had a regular series cast member from either species, and never had a single recurring Tellarite. We're told that the Federation is this wonderfully diverse society, yet we only ever see humans, a few vulcans, and the occasional Bolian. What do you guys attribute that too?
we did have andorian regulars in Enterprise, actually.

I recall reading on this forum before that berman thought andorians were silly looking because they reminded him of 50's b movie aliens with their antennae. That was during TNG era, but once the technology and makeup advanced, he was okay with it for enterprise.
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:13 AM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

No recurring Pakleds?!
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:22 AM   #4
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
I recall reading on this forum before that berman thought andorians were silly looking because they reminded him of 50's b movie aliens with their antennae.
This man would disagree.



You want silly? What about those stupid-looking Ferengi? (And they were regulars.) Frankly, I found the pig-faced Tellarites more believable.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Do you guys think that there are certain Trek species that the powers that be think can't be regulars? Andorians and Tellarites are founders of the Federation, yet we've never had a regular series cast member from either species, and never had a single recurring Tellarite. We're told that the Federation is this wonderfully diverse society, yet we only ever see humans, a few vulcans, and the occasional Bolian. What do you guys attribute that too?
And Klingons, Bajorans, Cardassians, Ferengi, Trills, Talaxians, Denobulans,Founders, Vortas, Jem'hadar...
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:29 AM   #6
-Brett-
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

The cast of characters is not meant to be a statistical random sample of the demographics of this fictional society.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

scotpens wrote: View Post
You want silly? What about those stupid-looking Ferengi? (And they were regulars.) Frankly, I found the pig-faced Tellarites more believable.
Why does everyone pick on the kids... er... aliens with big ears?!
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:50 AM   #8
sbk1234
Rear Admiral
 
sbk1234's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

The Tak Tak?
__________________
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:13 AM   #9
LobsterAfternoon
Commander
 
LobsterAfternoon's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

We never had a regular Andorian. Shran was a recurring.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:15 AM   #10
LobsterAfternoon
Commander
 
LobsterAfternoon's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

My apologies if my initial post was vague. I was trying to question if the designs of certain species are 'too alien' to be more than just a guest spot. Vulcans look like humans with pointy ears and lame haircuts, which is a lot simpler than blue skin, blue tinged teeth, antennae, etc.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

DS9 had the Ferengi.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

VOY had the Kazon.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:51 AM   #13
LobsterAfternoon
Commander
 
LobsterAfternoon's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

Maybe it's the skin color? Kaazon and Ferengi, while more alien looking than the average "Slap a weird forehead on a white guy" routine that Trek usually does, still have human skin tones. Whereas dudes like Andorians and Bolians are very brightly colored.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:03 AM   #14
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
You want silly? What about those stupid-looking Ferengi? (And they were regulars.) Frankly, I found the pig-faced Tellarites more believable.
Why does everyone pick on the kids... er... aliens with big ears?!
They're just earophobes.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:55 AM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Are certain aliens too difficult to take seriously?

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
Whereas dudes like Andorians and Bolians are very brightly colored.
Brent Spiner had yellow skin make-up applied in all but a very few of his appearances on the show.
__________________
.
It's easy to support someones beliefs if they are identical to your own.
Tolerating beliefs that you don't personal embrace, or even fully understand, is harder.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.