Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 11 2013, 09:58 AM   #31
Death of Rats
Commodore

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Mimic, I'm an atheist myself. I usually tell religious people I'm neither going to hell nor heaven. I'll simply stay on Earth as it's a nice place. I'll gradually dissolve and my molecules and atoms will be inserted into lots of future myriopods, ants, earthworms, flowers, weeds, the birds and rabbits who eat them, the people who eat those and so on. Some distant descendent of you might have a few of my atoms. I might have a few atoms from some nameless caveman. Maybe even some from a comet or the sun. Or from Jesus (if he ever existed, which still has to be proven by archeologists. So far all we have are stories and legends and not a single official document).
No matter what your religion, your matter will live
Old January 11 2013, 03:18 PM   #32
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

^ Grapefruit for depression? Gee, I'll have to try that. TSQ, you do seem to get bizarre nurses. I get the ones who self-disclose way too much. Well, at least one recent one. I did not want to know what her Vitamin D level was or that she was also dx'd with PTSD (and why!).
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:53 PM   #34
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."
Wow. Did you complain to her boss? I would have. That's offensive.
Old January 11 2013, 05:11 PM   #35
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!
Jim Gamma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:36 PM   #36
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Wow. Did you complain to her boss? I would have. That's offensive.
I should have, but I was too messed up at the time to bother.
Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!
I always think of it as sharp.

Old January 11 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
CorporalClegg
Admiral

This one bugs me..

A friend has a bumper sticker to that effect.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Kenbushway
Captain

I now have to take 5 months or 1 semester off from college because at first they offered 1 class I needed but not the other. I just need 2 classes and then I get my diploma; then I can get Hope scholarship for my degree. At first they offered a welding class but not climate control, I need the climate control and I also need welding. But when they finally decided to have climate control for spring semester it was at the same time as welding. The only other elective I can have is Bio-fuels but they canceled that class so they could fit in Climate Control. So basically I am now stuck at home for 5 months; I could have graduated by 2014 but no now its 2015. Eventually I would like to get a life going.
Old January 11 2013, 11:00 PM   #39
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

Yes, # is a number sign. Who the hell changed it, anyway?
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:02 PM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

The closest thing I have to a rant is against people who hold irrational grudges (yeah, I know, as if there's any other kind ). Those who go out of their way to insult a specific person they hate, and get on that person's back for the slightest misdeed or mispost yet let everyone else get away with far worse things...that really pisses me off. Especially when the person with the grudge has authority and uses it as a battering ram/bully pulpit which can't be ignored.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:33 AM   #41
propita
Rear Admiral

This one bugs me..

Bugs me, too!

propita wrote: View Post
Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

I'm assuming Type 2, since it's recent though he has been tending that way for 10 years or so. Then his number went over the limit. I think he's about 140.

He's trying. Shoot, he's a pharmacist, he knows what's what.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #42
sojourner
Admiral

140 is above average, but not excessive.
Old January 12 2013, 01:00 AM   #43
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

I'm assuming Type 2, since it's recent though he has been tending that way for 10 years or so. Then his number went over the limit. I think he's about 140.

He's trying. Shoot, he's a pharmacist, he knows what's what.

If there is trending involved it is definitely type 2. There's no trending in type 1 (except with the extremely rare exception of LADA type 1). I hope I didn't come off as rude, it's just that this is what I'm talking about -- tons of people with type 2 don't even know the difference themselves. If he had type 1, you would know. His blood glucose at diagnosis would probably have been between 600-800, not 140. 140 is gold for a type 1. He would likely have been near comatose, and definitely would have been hospitalized for several days upon diagnosis. He would be taking multiple shots of insulin a day or be on an insulin pump, and checking his sugars 4-12 times daily. He would not be able to survive without insulin. You would have been taught the warning signs of hypos, and how to use a glucagon kit in case he had a seizure or blacked out. He would carry some form of glucose with him at all times to counter hypos, and would likely wake up in the middle of the night at least once a week to do night time glucose monitoring.

See, it's a completely different disease, and people don't get that. That's what's hard when you're type 1.

As for the 10 point variance: glucometers are accurate within a range. He could test his sugar once, and then immediately afterwards and it could vary by as much as 20-25 points on the same meter. 10 points doesn't really tell you anything, type 1 or 2, because it could be the meter variance or the test strip variance. Of course, this goes for meter testing. A lab test, which is on blood syrum rather than whole blood, is more accurate, and in that case a 10 point variance might mean something.

Old January 12 2013, 01:04 AM   #44
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
140 is dead center my target range!

Old January 12 2013, 02:10 AM   #45
sojourner
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
140 is dead center my target range!
Yeah, I was always told to shoot for 80 - 120, but always felt more comfortable at the high end. 140 is fine for me.