A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 10 2013, 03:13 AM   #31
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Re: Crew members and their roles

Brit wrote: View Post
The "Academy Lt." who was her instructor in Advanced Tactical Training was never formally identified as Chakotay. This was the original idea, but they decided against it on Voyager when dealing with Chakotay's backstory. The actual name of the instructor was never mentioned on screen. Chakotay's stated date of resignation on Voyager is a couple of years before Ro would have been at the Academy, anyway
They actually do --- Episode: "Preemptive Strike" right at the 8:47 mark on my video they mention "Lt Cmdr Chakotay" where Ro goes on to say "A man I both respect and admire...".

It actually would have been a very powerful opening to have Ro on Voyager if Michelle Forbes could be goated into settling, although what position she'd actually play is a bit of puzzle work. Ro Laren as Chief of Security would have probably been far more entertaining then Tuvok, but then again, we don't need Ro Laren and B'Elanna on the same ship; I don't think the structural integrity of the ship would hold >.<
Old January 10 2013, 03:26 AM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Here's something you may not have considered.

Ro Laren was a member of Chakotay's crew, and she survived Caretaker, and she served on Voyager but she was always off camera during the action.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:28 AM   #33
tighr
Commodore

Lighthammer wrote: View Post
The "Academy Lt." who was her instructor in Advanced Tactical Training was never formally identified as Chakotay. This was the original idea, but they decided against it on Voyager when dealing with Chakotay's backstory. The actual name of the instructor was never mentioned on screen. Chakotay's stated date of resignation on Voyager is a couple of years before Ro would have been at the Academy, anyway
They actually do --- Episode: "Preemptive Strike" right at the 8:47 mark on my video they mention "Lt Cmdr Chakotay" where Ro goes on to say "A man I both respect and admire...".
You must have a different version than I do, then. I just pulled that episode up on Netflix. Her exact words:

"I'v heard a lot about the Maquis. One of my instructors at Tactical Training, a Lieutenant Commander in Starfleet, a man I both admired and respected, he was sympathetic to them. He resigned and left to join them."
Old January 10 2013, 10:33 AM   #34
Timo
Admiral

Don't be tiresome. Lighthammer is entitled to pull evidence out of his ass, and it always trumps evidence actually given in Star Trek.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 12:41 PM   #35
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Ro Laren was a member of Chakotay's crew, and she survived Caretaker, and she served on Voyager but she was always off camera during the action.
What is that, torture?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 02:57 PM   #36
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

tighr wrote: View Post
Lighthammer wrote: View Post
You must have a different version than I do, then. I just pulled that episode up on Netflix. Her exact words:

"I'v heard a lot about the Maquis. One of my instructors at Tactical Training, a Lieutenant Commander in Starfleet, a man I both admired and respected, he was sympathetic to them. He resigned and left to join them."
Wholly possible --- the recordings I have aren't from any DVD rips. I've never brought any Star Trek DVDs or Blurays with Enterprise being the only exception. With the exception of Enterprise, everything in my collection is DVR rips. There most certainly are differences I've noticed over the years.

Timo wrote: View Post
Don't be tiresome. Lighthammer is entitled to pull evidence out of his ass, and it always trumps evidence actually given in Star Trek.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo, the problem is unless something happened ON SCREEN you always, always, always reject every other source except in cases where you're using real world examples to justify your opinion.

You have to accept there ARE other sources that people respect and just because YOU don't respect them doesn't mean your opinion is the only one that matters.

The term "Canon" is very, very, very, very subjective right out of the box with the precise definition of the word.

If you're gonna be an ass about things and talk down to people like you're the absolute expert, at least follow Guy Gardner's lead. He follows his name sake and can be a real ass, but (I suspect) most people enjoy his presentation of it. Like it or not, its fun to read and I respect him a whole bunch for his presentation =).

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

That's a good explanation, although a real lame explanation. It would however explain in context why we magically saw next to nothing about Ro Laren in any other Star Trek media until Voyager returns >.<
Old January 10 2013, 03:25 PM   #37
Timo
Admiral

Timo, the problem is unless something happened ON SCREEN you always, always, always reject every other source except in cases where you're using real world examples to justify your opinion.
It would help massively if you mentioned the source you are quoting. Otherwise, it just appears you are misremembering things you saw on screen, or misquoting a book that touched upon the subject but not in the way you describe.

Say, where do we learn that Picard would have been a Conn officer (aboard a ship that actually had separate Helm and Nav officers for the task of steering!) on his sixth service year when taking command of the Stargazer? In a Friedman novel, the reader guesses, if he is familiar with those. So, he goes to the bookshelf or Memory Beta. And what does he find? That the book Valiant actually establishes Picard as the 2nd Officer of the vessel, rather than Conn, at the time of the incident.

See why I feel rather entitled to view your claims with what may look like general disdain, but in fact is just healthy skepticism?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:28 AM   #38
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I have to say, I always appreciate when Timo weighs in. Dude knows his stuff and always presents his thoughts logically.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote