Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 9 2013, 12:11 AM   #1
JD
Admiral

Fan Fic for sale on Amazon and B&N

I was looking around at Trek books for Kindle and Nook, and I came across a bunch of what appear to be fan fics for Kindle and one for Nook. I'm confused by this, because I thought it was illegal to profit from fan fics? Now, I really don't mean to get anybody in trouble here, but I was just shocked to see major retailers selling fan fics, and I was wondering about the legality of them doing it. And if it is something that isn't supposed to be happening, then I figured it would be best to bring it to somebody's attention.
Old January 9 2013, 01:12 AM   #2
cdgodin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Fan Fic for sale on Amazon and B&N

Can you post examples? And also, are they actually costing money, or are they free?
cdgodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 01:26 AM   #3
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Yeah, a ran across a couple of Doctor Who stories like this the other day when they put up the link for the 50th Anniversary eBooks.
Old January 9 2013, 02:52 AM   #4
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

cdgodin wrote: View Post
Can you post examples? And also, are they actually costing money, or are they free?
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/star...=2940013799882

That one is six bucks, and there's no way that's anything other than fanfic.
Old January 9 2013, 02:57 AM   #5
rafterman1701
Commodore

Kindle stuff is often self-published. Amazon doesn't check it. There is a ton of fan fic on there. I would inform Pocket about all of these. I honestly think most of it is people who just don't know any better, but the whole thing makes Amazon look lazy. Even iTunes cracks down on copyright in the app store.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:16 AM   #6
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I got screwed on a Fan Fic once for a Tudor book. I was pissed - as I paid a regular price for one of the worst books I have ever read and it was a real book, not an eBook.

Amazon doesn't police their stuff very carefully. I think if stuff is self-published or by a vanity press, it should say so very clearly.

Needless to say, I'm very careful now when ordering books and I do check publishers.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
TJ Sinclair
Captain

I'm certainly not one to gripe about fan fiction, having written some in my younger days, but honestly, you would think any fanfic writer over the age of 16 would know better than to try and sell their stuff in any venue.

Wasn't there a big kerfuffle a couple of years ago when an unlicensed (fanfic) Star Wars novel was up for sale on Amazon? I thought they'd be more careful about this stuff since then...
Old January 9 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^Amazon is so huge that it simply isn't possible for them to have live human beings monitor and approve everything submitted to them for sale. So some things slip past the radar until they're specifically brought to Amazon's attention. And it sounds to me like that should definitely be done with these items.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:19 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Please buy my new book "50 shades of Jack and James" which is a 300 page masterpiece about Jack Reacher and James T. Kirk teaming up in a homoerotic thriller.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Please buy my new book "50 shades of Jack and James" which is a 300 page masterpiece about Jack Reacher and James T. Kirk teaming up in a homoerotic thriller.
SOLD.
Old January 9 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I guess if this kind of stuff is becoming a problem, Amazon and the other e-stores need to add a "report" button so shoppers can do the policing themselves.

I do hope the stores demand back any money these people make.
Old January 9 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

True story: Somebody once submitted a Janeway/Seven slash novel to Tor, but explained in their cover letter that it was okay because they had (slightly) changed the names.

And don't get me started about the submission that began with the "Klargon" battle cruiser activating its "stealthing" field . . . . I rejected that one right away!

Then again, given that "Fifty Shades of Grey" started out as a sexy "Twilight" fan fic, maybe I should have given that slash novel a closer look!
Old January 9 2013, 06:02 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
True story: Somebody once submitted a Janeway/Seven slash novel to Tor, but explained in their cover letter that it was okay because they had (slightly) changed the names.

And don't get me started about the submission that began with the "Klargon" battle cruiser activating its "stealthing" field . . . . I rejected that one right away!

Then again, given that "Fifty Shades of Grey" started out as a sexy "Twilight" fan fic, maybe I should have given that slash novel a closer look!
I was just reading the other day, about a Chakotay/Paris AU slashfic which was stolen and illegally published under someone else's name.

Then there's Killing Time author Della Van Hise's K/S novel with the serial numbers filed off.

I shudder to think how many more are out there! From what I've read at fanlore.org, filing off the serial numbers is a fairly common if dubious practice for amateurs trying to go pro.
Old January 9 2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I guess if this kind of stuff is becoming a problem, Amazon and the other e-stores need to add a "report" button so shoppers can do the policing themselves.
There are customer feeback links on the ordering pages. That might be the way to do it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I was just reading the other day, about a Chakotay/Paris AU slashfic which was stolen and illegally published under someone else's name.

Then there's Killing Time author Della Van Hise's K/S novel with the serial numbers filed off.

I shudder to think how many more are out there! From what I've read at fanlore.org, filing off the serial numbers is a fairly common if dubious practice for amateurs trying to go pro.
And why not? Some of the Trek authors started out writing fanfics. Jean Lorrah had a series based on Sarek and Amanda, while Peter David was just as prolific with his fanfic as he was once he went pro.