Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 8 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Burk: Star Trek Into Darkness To A Darker Place

Bryan Burk, producer of Star Trek into Darkness, explains what fans can expect from the movie. According to Burk, Star Trek is about humans and their problems and interactions. “What attracted us to Star Trek is that it’s not just about space and aliens and what you might think it is, it’s actually about humans [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Burk: Star Trek Into Darkness To A Darker Place

Star Trek Into Darkness To A Darker Place... in the Dark.
Old January 8 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
lurok
Commodore

Bring a torch.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Borgminister

Well, Abrahms does like to leave folks in the dark spoiler-wise...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Jeyl
Commodore

You hear that Worf? Any time Star Trek gave you a story, it wasn't real Star Trek. You do not make Star Trek unique Worf!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Jeyl
Commodore

Oh, and Deep Space Nine? You are the WORST Star Trek series according to the people who are making Star Trek now. You focused too much on the Bajorans, Cardassians, Klingons, the Changelings, the Ferengi, the Dominion ect. You are not Star Trek.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:08 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
You hear that Worf? Any time Star Trek gave you a story, it wasn't real Star Trek. You do not make Star Trek unique Worf!
Holy non sequitur, Batman! Did you mean to post that in another tab?

Edit:

Oh, and Deep Space Nine? You are the WORST Star Trek series according to the people who are making Star Trek now. You focused too much on the Bajorans, Cardassians, Klingons, the Changelings, the Ferengi, the Dominion ect. You are not Star Trek.
Jeyl, I think you ought to go back and read the piece again. It's clear from your posts above that you were in such a rush to spam up the thread with more of the same old snark that you failed to take sufficient time to properly process what Burk actually said.

Be more careful about that in the future, would you?

Last edited by M'Sharak; January 8 2013 at 08:33 PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:34 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

You do realize there's a difference between the story a show can do with 178 episodes vs. a two-hour movie?
Old January 8 2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Besides, going back to TMP, if memory serves, the tagline was "The Human Adventure Continues".

(emphasis mine)

Star Trek has ALWAYS been about the "human adventure". To think otherwise is simply to have missed the point.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:28 PM   #10
serenitytrek1
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
You do realize there's a difference between the story a show can do with 178 episodes vs. a two-hour movie?

good point,i wish some trek fans and william shatner himself can recognize this.

hey ..did anyone see shat's new article on trekmovie, he said new trek had no soul.

I think its unfair,william shatner had like 70+ episodes of TOS and 6 films to get it right. JJ has had only 2 hours....for now

I for one thought there was soul or the word I prefer to use is heart in the 09 film. examples includes the emotional death of George kirk,the loss of Vulcan , Amanda and Spock faced with constant prejudice on Vulcan,the elevator scene between spock/uhura after he lost his planet the list goes on

JJ managed to tell a great story in less than 2 hours something that not all the TOS film was able to achieve and only 1 of the TNG film achieved.

Trek 2013 will be a great film and yes a lot of Trek fans will be able to handle the Dark Undertone of the film.

We already know Kirk looses his captaincy so whats next of some of the other characters?????

Chekov dies as he is wearing red

Spock dies...

carol gets knocked with Kirk's baby

uhura has an emotional breakdown

john harrsion blows up London

bones gets all angry and broody.

BRING ON TREK 13 BABY.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; January 8 2013 at 11:50 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
good point,i wish some trek fans and william shatner himself can recognize this.

hey ..did anyone see shat new article on trekmovie, he said new trek had no soul.
Shatner is doing what Shatner always does, trying to remain relevant.
Old January 8 2013, 10:56 PM   #12
The Keeper
Commodore

I for thought there was soul or the word I prefer to use is heart in the 09 film. examples includes the emotional death of George kirk,the loss of Vulcan , Amanda and Spock faced with constant prejudice on Vulcan,the elevator scene between spock/uhura after he lost his planet the list goes on

Yeah, it's like Star Trek had PUNCH. Each of your points in the film were like a scene from TOS. It was throwing finger-clasped fists saying, *smack* I've got, *smack* to make, *smack* you understand. *smack*. Just, amazing.

How sad for those who choose to sit there scribbling in their mental note-books rather than enjoying the rebirth of what made Trek fun.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:07 PM   #13
UFO
Captain

... it’s actually about humans and how they all interact with each other, particularly Gene Roddenberry‘s vision of the future, where all the problems on earth kind of go away ...”
Hmmm, so they have finally rediscovered "Gene Roddenberry‘s vision of the future"?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:58 PM   #14
serenitytrek1
Commander

The Keeper wrote: View Post

I for thought there was soul or the word I prefer to use is heart in the 09 film. examples includes the emotional death of George kirk,the loss of Vulcan , Amanda and Spock faced with constant prejudice on Vulcan,the elevator scene between spock/uhura after he lost his planet the list goes on

Yeah, it's like Star Trek had PUNCH. Each of your points in the film were like a scene from TOS. It was throwing finger-clasped fists saying, *smack* I've got, *smack* to make, *smack* you understand. *smack*. Just, amazing.

How sad for those who choose to sit there scribbling in their mental note-books rather than enjoying the rebirth of what made Trek fun.

Tell that to William Shatner..

Hey...deos anybody else feel that William will always criticise the rebirth of trek simply because he cant be a part of it?

JJ's 09 Trek had it all

1. the new young fanbase that comes in their millions

2. the box office and

3. the critical reception including four oscar nominations + 1 win.

I hope Trek 13 tops the 09 film in every possible way.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 12:15 AM   #15
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Hey...deos anybody else feel that William will always criticise the rebirth of trek simply because he cant be a part of it?
I particularly like these criticisms:

"JJ Abrams is a great filmmaker."

"Star Trek becomes one of those rides with explosions and the wonderful people they have got playing those roles."

"He has made Star Trek popular once again with a far larger audience so he seems to be doing the right thing."
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote