New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 23 2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Spartan_029
Ensign

A few questions on the Vegas Trek convention.

Howdy!

So, backstory, Never been to a con of any sort, I'm a Niner, figured I'd make my first one the Las Vegas Show on DS9s 20th anniversary.

I've already sorted out the hotel and flight, just waiting for the lower level tickets to be released, my questions are:

What am I to expect with GA tickets? Will I be able to meet any actors, are there places blocked off that only premium guests can get to that are worth it?

Is Thursday worth it? With hotel prices (and food expenses) the way they are, I'd like to shave off a day, if possible, from what I can gather, the big ticket days are the weekend days, so Thursday seems the logical choice, is it worth it?

How much money should I expect to spend/bring? is most everything included in the general ticket? If I want to pick up a few memorabilia items and an autograph or two (I'm especially looking forward to Alexander Siddig) What can I expect to spend on this? (Essentially, can I get away with a few hundred dollars, or should I plan on pinching every penny from here to August?)

What are some of your honest-to-goodness reviews of the event? I would really hate to invest all of my spare change for the year into something that isn't worth the price of admission.

Thanks so much for the indulgence of this simple Cadet.
Spartan_029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Spartan_029
Ensign

Re: A few questions on the Vegas Trek convention.

so, no one has been before?
Old January 28 2013, 03:25 PM   #3
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

It's from Creation. Therefore, it is run in cattle-call like format. Expect extremely long lines and to pay through the nose for everything. Back in the day, autographs and photos with the actors were free. Creation is the company that convinced actors that it was a good idea to gouge the fans. That's why now, if you want an autograph and a picture with Patrick Stewart, you will pay $200. No, that is not a typo.

Their dealers' room is overpriced already, but the autograph price is ridiculous. I'll give you another example. Jared Padalecki from Supernatural goes to a regular convention and his autograph costs $25. Jared goes to a Creation convention and his autograph is suddenly $85. Then back to $25 for a normal con.

Creation is designed to part fans with their money. You WILL find a great selection of actors, including people who don't go to many cons, but you will pay for it. As long as you understand that going in, you'll be fine.

Generally about 3-4 months before the con, they will post their price list for autographs (and Creation sets the prices, not the actors). It's "cheaper" to buy an autograph ticket in advance ... It will be higher the day of the convention. In some cases, double the price.
Old January 28 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Spartan_029
Ensign

Thank you so much!

I think it might be prudent for me then to get the rare appearance of Alexander Siddig's autograph, then perhaps wait for other non-creation cons to get the rest of DS9.

Although, with your description it doesn't exactly sound appealing, and I guess that's what I was afraid of... we already have to spend a pile of money to get in the doors, and there are more charges from there... :/

To The Internet! (To look for other cons...)
Old January 28 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Let the Good Times Roll!!

I haven't been to the Vegas Con, but I've been to lots of Creation conventions.

A "GA" ticket will get you a seat somewhere toward the back.

Everything else will cost you. Autographs, pictures, meet and greets, etc. And just keep in mind, like was said earlier, the autographs are a cattle call. You'll spend 3-5 seconds in front of the actor. You'll get one sentence out, so make it a good one.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote