TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 9 2013, 08:17 AM   #46
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Billie Piper not involved in 50th anniversary

I don't believe anyone who says they're not coming back as it's 100% possible they'll say that in order to avoid spoiling an awesome surprise. I'm not saying Rose is definitely coming back, I don't think she will, but in general I'm not believing anyone.
Old January 9 2013, 08:46 AM   #47
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I don't believe anyone who says they're not coming back as it's 100% possible they'll say that in order to avoid spoiling an awesome surprise. I'm not saying Rose is definitely coming back, I don't think she will, but in general I'm not believing anyone.
I'm not fully convinced either especially after David Tennant's interview with Jonathan Ross:

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:31 PM   #48
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
how BBC can make a 14 episode "series" take two years to tell and yet you can have a modern American tv 'season' of maybe 22-23 episodes and have do the same in less than a year. I'm thinking of a show like Sons of Anarchy which has quite a bit of stunt work, sfx, and a very large cast of regular characters.
Hollywood tolerates (and pays for) a lot more overtime than British productions will. As a side-effect, Hollywood has more money to throw around, which also means more crew. Matt Smith doesn't work a lot of 16 hour days. On House, Hugh Laurie routinely worked 16 hour days. Different cultures.
Different salaries too - how many millions did Hugh get per episode ?
Old January 9 2013, 04:49 PM   #49
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
how BBC can make a 14 episode "series" take two years to tell and yet you can have a modern American tv 'season' of maybe 22-23 episodes and have do the same in less than a year. I'm thinking of a show like Sons of Anarchy which has quite a bit of stunt work, sfx, and a very large cast of regular characters.
Hollywood tolerates (and pays for) a lot more overtime than British productions will. As a side-effect, Hollywood has more money to throw around, which also means more crew. Matt Smith doesn't work a lot of 16 hour days. On House, Hugh Laurie routinely worked 16 hour days. Different cultures.
Different salaries too - how many millions did Hugh get per episode ?
Yea, it's actually very common for US actors to work 14 or 16 hours per day.

Hugh Laurie in 2011 earned 250,000 pounds or US$409,000, according to his Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie

The Friends actors and Seinfeld making $1M or more per episode for a comedy is a rarity, and can only be sustained by incredible ratings. US$100,000 to $200,000 seems to be average lead actor fo a Series (which is what Big Bang Actors get). Kiefer Sutherland is apparently getting US$400,000 an episode for his new show

So, yea, definitely nothing to whine about, nd still totals to $2M and up per year, but, $Millions per episode is an exaggeration

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:59 PM   #50
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Y'know what amuses the heck out of me - how BBC can make a 14 episode "series" take two years to tell and yet you can have a modern American tv 'season' of maybe 22-23 episodes and have do the same in less than a year. I'm thinking of a show like Sons of Anarchy which has quite a bit of stunt work, sfx, and a very large cast of regular characters.
It seems to me like that lattermost - at least when comparing to Doctor Who - is part of why. Doctor Who has a regular cast of two, who are in most every scene. With a show with a larger cast, you can give actors a break while continuing to shoot; you can also shoot two episodes simultaneously without making one of them "character light".

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:20 PM   #51
MacLeod
Admiral

Well as others have said a UK Season can be as little as 3 episodes (Sherlock), 6-8 (Red Dwarf), 14 (DW), shows like Casualty which seems like it is on almost every week and the soaps which run multiple episodes per week all year round.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:09 PM   #52
The Wormhole
Admiral

it could be possible that the 50th Anniversary thing wouldn't even air until next year - they'll just tease the hell out of it for 5-6 months after the end of 'Series 7b' and then we'll get it sometime in 2014
If it airs in 2014, then it's not really the 50th anniversary, is it?
Old January 9 2013, 08:14 PM   #53
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

well yeah... tecnically
Old January 9 2013, 08:59 PM   #54
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Well, it would still be the 50th year.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 10:58 PM   #55
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Exactly - sure the anniversary DATE is this year - but technically next year would still be the 50th Year.
Old January 10 2013, 02:38 AM   #56
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yeah, but, 50th anniversary celebrations have already started with the first of those e-books being published. Plus, later this month IDW's anniversary comic series starts. 2013 is the year that anything related to the 50th anniversary will happen, not 2014.
Old January 10 2013, 04:14 AM   #57
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well as others have said a UK Season can be as little as 3 episodes (Sherlock), 6-8 (Red Dwarf), 14 (DW), shows like Casualty which seems like it is on almost every week and the soaps which run multiple episodes per week all year round.
Shows like Casualty apart from the cast size (as mentioned above) also have little requirement for the building of new sets for each story or special effects which would save them a big chunk of change.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:16 AM   #58
Candlelight
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Yeah, but, 50th anniversary celebrations have already started with the first of those e-books being published. Plus, later this month IDW's anniversary comic series starts. 2013 is the year that anything related to the 50th anniversary will happen, not 2014.
The first season began in 1963 but only ran for five weeks before it turned into 1964, which I think is what some believe might happen; yes this year is the 50th anniversary year but the "anniversary season" will be for the 2014 season.
Old January 10 2013, 04:31 PM   #59
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^^ I don't think that was the original plan but due to mismanagement, that's what will likely happen.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:43 PM   #60
Candlelight
Admiral

^ I blame Moffat.

Then again I blame him for the quality drop of series 5-7.