Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 9 2013, 03:09 AM   #16
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Re: Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark?

This is the first thing I've seen that makes me think Warner could compete with the Marvel movies. Marvel's success came from hitting people where they didn't expect it (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America - all concepts that were off the radar of the general public). This is DC's shot at replicating that.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:02 AM   #17
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^As someone else said before, this seems to me to be more like DC's answer to Guardians of the Galaxy. A team that is all but completely unknown the the general public, but popular with the comic book fans, designed to complement the more established and iconic team movie (Avengers/Justice League) and build the cinematic universe.

I do think it's of interest that it seems to indicate Marvel and DC going in opposite directions in regards to genre. Marvel's plan now seems to be building up their sci-fi cosmic universe, while a JLD movie would indicate DC leaning more towards the supernatural/fantasy elements of their universe.
Old January 9 2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
If Zatanna is more like her pre reboot self, and not a magical stripper/Chriss Angel looking magician that they made her into with the JL Dark comic, I could be excited.
I like her new look.

If they make this movie, they might pay homage to her old magician's outfit with the top hat, but I think she'll be wearing something else most of the time.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 08:11 PM   #19
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

She looks stupid. That, plus the fact that in the New 52 when she met Constantine she was basically a magical stripper just helped kill her as a character I was interested in, when it comes to reading comic books. To be fair to her new look, not one hero or villain that got a redesign has a redesign that is better than the original look, but atleast a few came out tolerable. Her new origin is more understandable, and made a bit more tolerable by comparison, when you realise DC made a lot of their female characters either idiots (Wonder Woman) or sex objects with no personality (Starfire) with the New 52, so her being a magical stipper who atleast has a brain makes her better than most New 52 female characters. But, that doesn't make save her from being just another ruined New 52 hero I used to really like who I now have no desire to read. I still like the character, just not the New 52 version. Like with pretty much all DC characters, I'll continue to read and enjoy her old DCU adventures, and ignore her in the New 52.

That said, and back on topic, if shes not a magic stripper, I'd like to see her in a movie, along with other magic heroes.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:01 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

I like her new outfit better myself. I don't dislike her old costume, I just think this one is a lot easier to take seriously.
Here's a slightly different outfit that they have on most of the covers and promo images.
Unless we see her performing on stage, I don't see them using her old costume much, if at all in the movie. The new one strikes me as something that would be a lot more likely to be used in a film like this.
GDT did talk abit about the movie in a recent interview with IGN.
Old January 10 2013, 04:22 AM   #21
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i don't dig Zatanna's new look either. and her pre-Flashpoint book was excellent. one of the many good books from that that time that got killed prematurely.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 04:36 AM   #22
Skywalker
Admiral

I think Zatanna's current look is much more movie-friendly. I hope Del Toro sticks with this project, it ought to be right up his alley.

And I'm definitely down for a more proper John Constantine.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:29 AM   #23
theenglish
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
That said, and back on topic, if shes not a magic stripper, I'd like to see her in a movie, along with other magic heroes.
Really? She looked much more like a stripper in her old costume. I could see somebody wearing that thing to bachelor parties. It looked even worse on Smallville.

I like her new look. It has a touch of goth and looks like something somebody might actually wear. It will definitely work in a movie.

As for the rest of the new universe, I really like the redesign of many of the Batman and Flash villains. I like the redesigns for all of the Justice League, with the exception of that little jaw protector thing flash wears. J'onn's costume looks great as well. Green Arrow is fine--I like that they have gone back to his pre-beard look, but I don't like the way the character is actually written. The only two redesigns that I don't like are Hawkman's and slutty--Victoria Secret underwear sporting--Catwoman.

But these are only my opinions and not objective facts.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:04 AM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I totally missed the stripper thing in JLD. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:43 PM   #25
Mike Farley
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
...and slutty--Victoria Secret underwear sporting--Catwoman.

Isn't Catwoman wearing pretty much the same outfit she's been wearing for years now?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:37 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post

Isn't Catwoman wearing pretty much the same outfit she's been wearing for years now?
I think he was referring to what she wears under the catsuit.
Old January 11 2013, 04:27 AM   #27
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

If any female character in the DCU has been treated horribly, it has been Selina Kyle--she can't zip her suit up all the way apparently and despite her lifestyle seems to feel that lacy, sex bras are more practical than sportswear undergarments.
Old January 11 2013, 02:09 PM   #28
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

If any female character in the DCU has been treated horribly, it has been Selina Kyle--she can't zip her suit up all the way apparently and despite her lifestyle seems to feel that lacy, sex bras are more practical than sportswear undergarments.
This version of Catwoman seems to equate her clothing to common bondage gear than to cat burglar attire.

I swear if DC thought they could get away with calling her BDSM-girl, they would.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:39 PM   #29
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I hadn't even noticed. I'll have to go back and check.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:06 AM   #30
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

This version of Catwoman seems to equate her clothing to common bondage gear than to cat burglar attire.

I swear if DC thought they could get away with calling her BDSM-girl, they would.
I don't necessarily have a criticism with the actual story, other than the quality pales in comparison with her previous series, but I can't get past the art. I am embarrassed to read it around my wife and daughter who feel like it epitomizes every misogynist stereotype about comic books -- sorry if there are actually fans of the series here but that's just the way I feel.