Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 12 2013, 08:41 PM   #91
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: TMP on Blu-Ray

Psst. Multiquote.

It's not entirely true there's nothing of the characters in the film, just the stuff cited is a bit more of it.

The male computer voice is an actual voice filtered, not a Hawking type voice. And maybe it's deliberately designed to sound that way to cut through the actual human/alien voices in an emergency. When that voice comes on, you know it's the ship saying, "Yo. Problem!"
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 08:59 PM   #92
Grant
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Psst. Multiquote.

It's not entirely true there's nothing of the characters in the film, just the stuff cited is a bit more of it.

The male computer voice is an actual voice filtered, not a Hawking type voice. And maybe it's deliberately designed to sound that way to cut through the actual human/alien voices in an emergency. When that voice comes on, you know it's the ship saying, "Yo. Problem!"
Posssible, but the voice (Majel) used in the original series WAS distinctive and any crewmember hearing it would know the they were hearing the ship's "voice" and to pay attention.

Really if the old "Majel voice" had said, "Emergency alert--negative control at helm!"

....would anybody there NOT have understood who/what was talking?

Besides just have Sulu or Ilia say it.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 09:03 PM   #93
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

I like the male voice. It gave a feeling that I can't describe but was one of the things that I really loved about the movie. Something alien or otherworldly (not quite what I'm going for but the best I can come up with) and that intrigued me.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 09:14 PM   #94
Warped9
Admiral

I found the male voice quite jarring even back in '79.
Old November 12 2013, 09:15 PM   #95
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Whose voice it was wasn't my point. It was that it's obviously a voice designed to cut through whatever is happening.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 09:21 PM   #96
Grant
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
Whose voice it was wasn't my point. It was that it's obviously a voice designed to cut through whatever is happening.
Exactly! Like Majel's voice in TOS.

"Alien or otherworldly"....is that what the computer on a Federation starship should sound like?

I think a Klingon or Romulan ship computer should have an "alien or otherworldly" sound though.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 10:25 PM   #97
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Grant wrote: View Post

"Alien or otherworldly"....is that what the computer on a Federation starship should sound like?
Since, in theory, humans make up a small percentage of the Federation. What is the problem with the computer sounding alien or otherworldly?
Old November 13 2013, 12:06 AM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

For all that changed in TMP having Majel's computer voice would be a welcome note of familiarity.
Old November 13 2013, 02:02 AM   #99
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Warped9 wrote: View Post
"E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT...!"
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
I like the male voice. It gave a feeling that I can't describe but was one of the things that I really loved about the movie. Something alien or otherworldly (not quite what I'm going for but the best I can come up with) and that intrigued me.
This may sound sexist, but I think the Enterprise should be female.
Old November 13 2013, 03:20 AM   #100
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
It may not even be sexist per-say, there is some support to the idea that people generally feel more favorable towards and pay attention to a female voice more than a male voice.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/tech/i...mputer-voices/
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:10 PM   #101
jpv2000
Captain

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
But the fans of the TMP SLV are screwed because that version isn't even available on regular DVD.
^^^ and how!
Agreed. I loved the longer televised version. I used to own it on VHS, until I wore it our by re-watching it so much.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:29 PM   #102
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
"E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT! E-MER-GEN-CEE! UH-LERT...!"
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
I know that was the way it was in the original series but TMP was my first real exposure to Star Trek so I didn't have that expectation. The voice has the same kind of feel, for me, as the male computer voice that was doing the narration on the earlier Tomorrowland Transit Authority ("Now approaching....") at Walt Disney World. For me, it has the futuristic fantastic feel (that is a better description then I used above."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:53 PM   #103
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

For all that changed in TMP having Majel's computer voice would be a welcome note of familiarity.
I just don't see it, honestly.

The characters are a little older and the visuals are updated (though still surprisingly recognizable) but I never thought that it needed "familiarity".
Old November 23 2013, 08:57 AM   #104
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
^ As I understand it, it's more a case of the Blu Ray can't have both, because the assets used for certain brand new special effects sequences in the DE were all done digitally, and those assets no longer exist so they'd have to spend money redoing them with new technology to make them match up to an HD standard. As opposed to the theatical cut, where they just need to run the original negative through a machine to scan it at a higher res. The simple fact is that no 'original negative' of the DE exists because it was an entirely digital production made specifically for the DVD era.

I assume the 'Special Longer Version' could be done in HD however, because it was sourced from original assets that probably still exist in the vaults. It'd just be a case of tracking down the relevant negatives, scanning everything and then splicing it together to match the previous SLV.
So as usual, it sounds like Paramount are just being a bunch of cheap penny pinching cocks.

I'm glad CBS is doing all the remasterings now. Paramounts needs to jump in a lake.
Old November 23 2013, 03:00 PM   #105
borgboy
Fleet Captain

I am still bitter about the blu rays being just the theatrical versions and not the superior director's cuts.