Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Difference between Q and Harry Potter wizards?

I re-watched over the weekend a couple of the Harry Potter films and caught a couple of TNG episodes and it got me thinking. What fundamentally is the difference between the Q as depicted in Trek [or for that matter all powerful beings throughout all of the series] and the wizards in Harry Potter?

The Q apparently snap their fingers to engage their 'magical abilities,' whereas the Harry Potter characters cite lines of Latin-magic-BS and use wands to wield their magic - but fundamentally aren't they using the same type of "magic," to use their powers?
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Difference between Q and Harry Potter wizards?

The same type of magic? I'm not sure that actually means anything at all.
Old January 7 2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Clarke's 3rd Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I assume the Q use technology whereas Harry Potter and friends channel some latent natural energy through possession of a genome that doesn't express Muggleness. I've never been remotely interested in reading the books or watching the films so this is my uninformed speculation. Even the Q get pretty tiresome...
Old January 7 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Clarke's 3rd Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Exactly. Which means that the Potter wizards could also be using technology in combination with their inherited traits.

I assume the Q use technology whereas Harry Potter and friends channel some latent natural energy through possession of a genome that doesn't express Muggleness. I've never been remotely interested in reading the books or watching the films so this is my uninformed speculation. Even the Q get pretty tiresome...
There is no dialogue in Trek that leads us to believe the Q use technology. In fact, the episode where Amanda Rogers is discovered as a Q - implies like with Potter - it's channeled and inherited power.
Old January 7 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Considering the Q don't have to use incantations, wands, herbs, etc I'd have to say, no. they don't use the same type of "magic". There's also the matter of scale. The Q can change the gravity constant of the universe on a whim. Potter magic? not likely.
Old January 7 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yea, Q magic, seems to be something you really don't need to study or learn, if you've got it, you can do whatever you want, wether you've done it before or not, and you don't need any tools to do it.

Potter Magic (And don't forget the House Elves have a different brand of magic as well), only the most skilled wizards can do wandless magic, and you can't just do whatever you want, you have to learn how to do spells, which involves the Wand as a focusing tool, and the words to make to happen. Yo have to feel the magic, learn the words (And in the caseof Potion brewing the recipes), have the right wand motion...

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:49 PM   #7
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, Q magic, seems to be something you really don't need to study or learn, if you've got it, you can do whatever you want, wether you've done it before or not, and you don't need any tools to do it.
Well Amanda Rogers had to learn how to use her powers. IIRC she was creating puppies spontaneously and the elder Q had to help her learn how to teleport herself.

But yes - no big castle full of Q going to class.
Old January 7 2013, 09:28 PM   #8
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Potter Magic (And don't forget the House Elves have a different brand of magic as well), only the most skilled wizards can do wandless magic, and you can't just do whatever you want, you have to learn how to do spells, which involves the Wand as a focusing tool, and the words to make to happen. Yo have to feel the magic, learn the words (And in the caseof Potion brewing the recipes), have the right wand motion...
Sounds like "tech" to me at least with respect to the wands and potions.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:35 PM   #9
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Sounds like "tech" to me at least with respect to the wands and potions.
Exactly. With regard to the Q we simply have no idea how they wield their powers other than a vague reference in Voyager's Q and the Grey where Q says that they dream up "Q weapons," which manifests itself as bullets and mortar fire.
Old January 7 2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Well Amanda Rogers had to learn how to use her powers. IIRC she was creating puppies spontaneously and the elder Q had to help her learn how to teleport herself.

But yes - no big castle full of Q going to class.
Yea, she had to be schooled for about 10 minutes on how to use the powers in General, but, she didn't need to be taught how to do each individual thing, once she knew how to use the pwoers in general, she could use them for whatever she wanted to make happen. Blow up a sun, transport to outside the hull, create flowers, all could be done just by understandinghow to use the powers. In Harry Potter, every little thing has a different incantation and wand movement. So, knowing how to do the Jelly legs curse, doesn't get you any closer to making something fly across the room.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 12:34 PM   #11
BoxWhatBox
Commander

Q can manifest food and water and ability the Wizards in Harry Potter do not have.
Old January 8 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

sojourner wrote: View Post
Considering the Q don't have to use incantations, wands, herbs, etc
Yup. Potterverse uses evocation magic, they all need a foci or it doesn't work. Only the exceptional ones like Dumbledore and Voldermort can achieve anything substantial without one.
Old January 8 2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It seems like comparing a .22 caliber rifle with a ship-mounted rail gun.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 05:36 PM   #14
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Essentially, the Q are the Star Trek equivalent to omnipotent Gods.

The other guys are pretty much just wizards.
Old January 8 2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Q is cool...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote