RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,769
Posts: 5,216,757
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 692
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 8 2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Thanks, Jinx. I totally forgot about the no sci-fi fantasy part of it and just zoned in on the returning franchise. Thanks for keeping it in!
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:10 AM   #17
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

The Return of the Man from UNCLE

__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 05:41 PM   #18
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Still plenty of time to play ... I'll put the voting thread up around midnight Jan. 11.
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
Zion Ravescene
''You brought me here...''
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks



__________________
The Doctor: It's mindless now, clicking towards oblivion. ... How long, K-9?
K-9: INSUFFICIENT DATA.
The Doctor: Yeah, you never fucking know the answer when it's important.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:51 AM   #20
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Four years between DaD and CR, with the box office hit that DaD was leaving absolutely no doubt of Bonds return, is that really "dropping out of sight" as JiNX-01 put it? I'd say GoldenEye was much more of a comeback, since LtK wasn't well-liked by the audience and didn't really make any money, and with the end of the Cold War, people seriously doubted there'd be another Bond movie. So, even though CR was a big hit, GoldenEye was way more of a comeback sensation.
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Zion Ravescene
''You brought me here...''
 
Zion Ravescene's Avatar
 
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Kai "the spy wrote: View Post
Four years between DaD and CR, with the box office hit that DaD was leaving absolutely no doubt of Bonds return, is that really "dropping out of sight" as JiNX-01 put it? I'd say GoldenEye was much more of a comeback, since LtK wasn't well-liked by the audience and didn't really make any money, and with the end of the Cold War, people seriously doubted there'd be another Bond movie. So, even though CR was a big hit, GoldenEye was way more of a comeback sensation.
39 years since the previous Casino Royale?
__________________
The Doctor: It's mindless now, clicking towards oblivion. ... How long, K-9?
K-9: INSUFFICIENT DATA.
The Doctor: Yeah, you never fucking know the answer when it's important.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Yeah, well, if the topic were "remakes", I'd be all for it, but, as I understand it, the main topic is the "return of a franchise". Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get your entry disqualified. It's just that I considered CR while choosing my entry, and I decided against it because of the reasons above. But as to not just sound complaining, I chose to give a possible alternative. But the choice, of course, is yours.

On another matter, is the closing quotation marks missing from my user name?
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:47 PM   #23
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Muppets are real to their target audience.
Really?

Even making the spurious assumption that their target audience is kids only, I'd say most children are capable of understanding the characters aren't real.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 09:07 PM   #24
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Please, people. Whoever runs the contest makes the call. Just deal.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 10:16 PM   #25
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Kai "the spy wrote: View Post
Yeah, well, if the topic were "remakes", I'd be all for it, but, as I understand it, the main topic is the "return of a franchise". Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get your entry disqualified. It's just that I considered CR while choosing my entry, and I decided against it because of the reasons above. But as to not just sound complaining, I chose to give a possible alternative. But the choice, of course, is yours.

On another matter, is the closing quotation marks missing from my user name?
The parameter is TV shows and films OR film franchises.
So if Casino Royale was done years ago and turns up again years later it meets the remake or revival standard.
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 10:42 PM   #26
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

the G-man wrote: View Post
JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Muppets are real to their target audience.
Really?

Even making the spurious assumption that their target audience is kids only, I'd say most children are capable of understanding the characters aren't real.
Children under the age of five are in capable of distinguishing between fantasy and reality. And since the target audience is pre-school age children, I stand by decision.

I've checked and it appears that 3-5 year-old children are the main audience of Sesame Street.

Since it's kind of up in the air, I'll still allow the Muppets.

So I would guess that the three-year-olds might see Muppets as real. Children ages 4-5 might see Muppets as unreal, depending on their parents' tutelege.
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 02:40 AM   #27
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy wrote: View Post
Yeah, well, if the topic were "remakes", I'd be all for it, but, as I understand it, the main topic is the "return of a franchise". Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get your entry disqualified. It's just that I considered CR while choosing my entry, and I decided against it because of the reasons above. But as to not just sound complaining, I chose to give a possible alternative. But the choice, of course, is yours.

On another matter, is the closing quotation marks missing from my user name?
The parameter is TV shows and films OR film franchises.
So if Casino Royale was done years ago and turns up again years later it meets the remake or revival standard.
Right, then.
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:28 AM   #28
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post

Children under the age of five are in capable of distinguishing between fantasy and reality. And since the target audience is pre-school age children...
So pretty much any fantasy Disney cartoon or Saturday morning TV show could be allowed (assuming it was a remake of course)?

I've checked and it appears that 3-5 year-old children are the main audience of Sesame Street.
With the possible exception of Kermit, those aren't the Sesame Street muppets. They are the characters from "The Muppet Show," which was targeted at all ages.

Since it's kind of up in the air, I'll still allow the Muppets.
Which is your right. However, I think the reasoning is faulty.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:27 PM   #29
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

OK, I'm putting an end to this. SF&F are admissible.

Anyone who wants to submit new entries, feel free.
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --

Last edited by JiNX-01; January 10 2013 at 11:00 PM.
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:54 AM   #30
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: ENTER: Media/TV AV Contest: Comebacks

Recap: Voting thread goes up tomorrow night.


Aragorn


Ar-Pharazon


auntiehill


JiNX-01


Kai "the spy"


od0_ital


Owain Taggart


Shanndee


Starkers


Zion Ravescene
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --

Last edited by JiNX-01; January 11 2013 at 10:44 PM.
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.