Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 18 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile
Was Voyager better?

I was watching some episodes of TNG, and when I then watched Voyager, I noticed something. Voyager seemed to have a better sense of community than TNG. The characters on Voyager were more friendlier and more comfortable towards each other than on TNG, where they were oftetimes seemed very stiff and formal.

This may be due mainly to the fact that Voyager is a lost ship that's off by itself, creating more of a sense of camaraderie among the people aboard. What's your take?

Last edited by USS Kongo; December 19 2012 at 08:03 PM.
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Was Voyager better?

The TNG command clique was very standoffish towards anyone outside their little social circle. Look at Jellico, Barclay and Ro Laren for perfect examples. Inside it, they were reasonably loose with the exception of Picard, but he's the CO so distancing himself a bit can be expected. Voyager? Really the first three seasons just centered heavily on Janeway, with the rest of the characters being glorified support characters. Seasons 4-7, it became a trifecta with Janeway, Seven and the Doctor. As for how they got along? Janeway ruled with an iron fist, Chakotay had to have been castrated to explain his transformation from someone who might have been interesting after the pilot, everyone loved to make fun of Harry, the Doctor and Neelix at various points. Torres was never friendly at all really. Seven was openly hostile to most everyone. Kes and Neelix really were the only genuinely friendly ones and Neelix was so in your face about it you just wanted to punch him. The TNG crew may have been standoffish towards outsiders, but they were never at each other's throats like the Voyager crew was at times.
Old December 18 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Smaller ship, more need to build the idea that they were family (something Janeway excels at) since they were quite likely to never see their families again. The Enterprise was a like a huge office building doing the work of a big corporation. Voyager was like a small business with an exciting vision for the future. Budweiser vs a craft beer.

Simple things like the actors standing closer to each other than they do in TNG. Far more humor, less taking itself seriously. Liveliness. I find a lot of TNG scenes fairly stiff whereas with VOY you get the EMH's hyperbole, Janeway's touching everyone and very expressive face, Neelix bouncing around.. they had some excellent actors who interacted with a lot of body language, playing off each other rather than reciting lines.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They didn't have toilets on the Enterprise D,

Imagine holding it in for 7 years?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
They didn't have toilets on the Enterprise D,

Imagine holding it in for 7 years?
They did too. There was one. The lines didn't improve crew morale though.
Old December 19 2012, 12:31 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think it has something to do with TNG being bound by the Roddenberry Box and not Voyager. Roddenberry had a strict edict not to have interpersonal conflict within the crew. Heck, even when Worf refused to save Crusher's patient's life they barely referenced it later except through one throwaway line. Without the interpersonal conflict, they couldn't have those bonding moments after the conflict was resolved.

Also over half the main cast was really, really introverted. The only extraverts in the cast were Riker, Troi, Crusher and O'Brien.

Introverts? Picard Data Worf Geordi Ro Barclay Pulaski Wesley. Roddenberry really liked quiet geniuses. Pretty much all the recurring characters except for O'Brien.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 05:00 AM   #7
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
The Enterprise was a like a huge office building doing the work of a big corporation. Voyager was like a small business with an exciting vision for the future. Budweiser vs a craft beer.
I like that. Well stated. Voyager really does strike me as being a little more relaxed than the usual starship crew, which is part of what's drawing me to it now.
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 10:53 AM   #8
JohnChod
Captain

But isn't that one of the problems with Voyager? The pilot set us up with two very different crews and suggested the real possibility of conflict within the crew, which would have been a good source of drama. Then, that potential was very rarely tapped.
JohnChod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Pilot didn't suggest that there would be conflict, it yelped that that their continued unity was astonishing. It was a riveting accomplishment that nothing happened!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 11:12 AM   #10
lurok
Commodore

I think those godawful TNG uniforms probably contributed to stiffness/awkwardness as well

And Janeway is far slinkier than Picard.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:09 PM   #11
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
I think those godawful TNG uniforms probably contributed to stiffness/awkwardness as well

And Janeway is far slinkier than Picard.
In one of the interviews on the DVD's Stewart said they had to change to the 2 piece uniforms because of his back. Constantly pulling the actors up right. Allegedly they had people with steamers to come on before scenes to get rid of the wrinkles and keep the slender look of season 1 and 2 TNG uniforms. Hilarious really.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

JohnChod wrote: View Post
But isn't that one of the problems with Voyager? The pilot set us up with two very different crews and suggested the real possibility of conflict within the crew, which would have been a good source of drama. Then, that potential was very rarely tapped.
I agree - the unity of the crew was one of the drawbacks of the show because we were told there would be strife and it was never delivered.

Also, I can't agree with the basic premise just based on the fact that the characters on Voyager were less interesting than the paper they were written on. That's not to say the TNG characters were rolling in depth, but even the actors from Voyager complain about how bland their characters were.
Old December 19 2012, 03:15 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Voyager > The Next Generation. The crew had a chemistry that the Next Genners lacked.
Old December 19 2012, 05:00 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Voyager > The Next Generation. The crew had a chemistry that the Next Genners lacked.
But Next Gen didn't have shitty retread scripts and a captain who yo-yo'd from one extreme to the other on a weekly basis.

Definitely going to say that Next Gen was the better show, but Voyager had its charms.
Old December 19 2012, 05:35 PM   #15
sonak
Vice Admiral

I assume this is a question based on camaraderie and not just an overall comparison of the shows.

I agree that the TNG senior staff characters, especially early on, could come across as very stiff. But I don't think that holds for later seasons. Sure, you had Picard and Worf who were more aloof and distant, but overall the characters were pretty tight-knit by the later seasons.

Voyager tried to have an early DS9 feel to it with the characters, with them not getting along and the Starfleet vs. the non-Starfleet interests. But they dropped that early on in favor of the "we're all a big family" theme, which was just not very realistic considering their being stranded and split between the two crews.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote