Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Merlin's Series Finale

Merlin’s 5 year run came to an end nearly two weeks ago and there’s not a single topic on it? Come on, I know Merlin has a few fans on this board.

Anyway, I thought The Diamond of the Day was a fitting end to the mediocrity that was Merlin. Merlin's reach has always exceeded its grasp and that is most evident when the show attempts to go for a serious tone. Mordred and Morgana's anticlimactic deaths and the poorest excuse for an epic battle that I've seen outside of Married With Children really goes to show that this show doesn’t know how to do dramatic. Although Merlin reigning thunderbolts on Morgana's army was awesome.

Where the show truly excels is in its interpersonal relationships. The best scenes in Merlin weren’t the battles or the plots (lol), but the smaller, intense moments between the characters. I can barely remember a single plot from the first four years of the show, but I’ll never forget Gaius finally confronting Uther or the dozen great father and son moments between Uther and Arthur. And the best of these relationships is obviously the bromance between Merlin and Arthur. The writers knew why the fans were watching and wisely devoted nearly the entire final episode to Merlin and Arthur alone in the woods. This isn’t HBO though, so it was just lots of talking.

I could go on for a while about the failings of the plot, but that wasn’t the focus of the episode. The focus was on Merlin and Arthur and I don’t have any complaints about that. Merlin’s tearful confession, Arthur’s slow realization of everything that Merlin has done for Camelot without recognition, Merlin’s absolute refusal to give up on his friend despite the odds, and Arthur’s final words of “Thank You” to Merlin were just perfect. Yeah, it was obvious that Arthur was going to die in the end, but that doesn’t change how heartbreaking it was to see Merlin lose his best friend – his destiny. Colin Morgan really knows how to cry. This was probably the saddest series finale I’ve seen since “Sleeping in Light”.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:17 PM   #2
T J
Commodore

Re: Merlin's Series Finale

It had it's ups and downs, some nice moments to be sure.

Now I want a sequel set in the future (maybe 2150ish) where Arthur returns, is constantly befuddled by how things have changed and Merlin showing him how things are now... or then.

Honestly, if he has to return make it funny!
Old January 6 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

His argument shouldn't have been "Please accept me" it should have been "Change the damn law"

Did they know the show was cancelled when they made the final episode because, if they're given another season by surprise (it happens) they would completely have to change the wardrobe department.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Haha. Oh, Merlin. The show where nothing happened or progressed for 5 years.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

10 years.

There was a 5 year skip between season 4 and 5.

Old January 6 2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
His argument shouldn't have been "Please accept me" it should have been "Change the damn law"

Did they know the show was cancelled when they made the final episode because, if they're given another season by surprise (it happens) they would completely have to change the wardrobe department.
It wasn't cancelled, they decided to end it on a high. Though they had originally planned to do 5 years they were asked to do a 6th and the cast turned it down, apparently.
Old January 6 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Suicide.

that makes a nice change.

Old January 7 2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

There wasn't any suicide. Or am I being dense?
Old January 7 2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Relayer1
Commodore

T J wrote: View Post
Now I want a sequel set in the future (maybe 2150ish) where Arthur returns, is constantly befuddled by how things have changed and Merlin showing him how things are now... or then.
Camelot 3000 - a 12 issue DC Comics series by Barr and Bolland.
Old January 7 2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
There wasn't any suicide. Or am I being dense?
They chose to finish the show of their own accord, which was their choice. Following the metaphor, they had a non resuscitation order and then resisted unwanted and uncalled for cpr, because the cast turned down season 6.

Rather then a suit walking in and saying you're all fired, we hate you, sod off, which would be murder.

I wish I knew who the hell stole my Camelot 3000?

It's not that they really really stole it.

They borrowed it, then put it under something and it just became lost. Out of sight out of mind, and even if they did realize that they had it, and how miffed I am after 15 years, they still wouldn't give it back until after they read it which they can't until after they found it... I hate my friends.

Old January 7 2013, 12:39 AM   #11
Blamo
Fleet Captain

It was an pretty good finale for a show that had become rather dismal.

When the show first started, Richard Wilson commented on the whole Merlin Vs Doctor Who by saying that unlike Doctor Who, Merlin had a lot more room to change and evolve. Even though I was a Doctor Who fan I agreed with him. There was just so much dramatic potential in Merlin and it was a brand new show.

Shame it didn't live up to it. Heck, it didn't even come close. After a while the show was living just on the supposed bromance and whatever excuse they could find to get someones shirt/armour off.

Doctor Who has now been going on for 7 years and out of the two shows it's the one that feels dramatic and takes chances. Even RTD's cartoony Master was more 3-dimensional then the comic strip villian that Morganna had become.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:23 AM   #12
lennier1
Commodore

Glad they finally put it out of its misery!

The show had some great moments, but when they drew out Gwen's brainwashing for wayyyyyyyy too long, I just couldn't stomach it anymore, even with the finale right around the corner.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

I enjoyed it, and had a lump in my throat but it did feel a bit rushed (I'm not entirely sure I buy the "We always planned 5 years" argument) Mordred and Morgana deserved better send offs really, and I found it a bit sad that Gwen didn't really get a proper goodbye with Arthur, nor Gaius with Merlin.

As always Colin and Bradley played it perfectly, and I'll be honest, Arthur dying did surprise me a little, given the show has played fast and loose with mythology over the years I half expected them to have Arthur survive.

Merlin's been a fun show for 5 years though, and whilst it's never reached the heights it could have done (I'd have loved a final series with Merlin 'outed') I will miss it.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If Agravaine hadn't been so rash, there's no way that a serving girl would have been able to hold the kingdom together without some royal baby in her, and really with Arthur gone, all the local princes would be lining up to fill'er'up.

Did I miss the hint that Arthur knocked her up?

Taking the adultery out of Gwens story line opens the kindom up to a potential thousand years of prosperity if she can keep her shit together, especially if Merlin backs her up.

Old January 7 2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I'm still tickled about people grumbling that the show played 'fast and loose with the mythology' as if there were some kind of definitive source.