Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 7 2013, 11:12 AM   #46
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Critical care: Satire on socialized medicine?

R. Star wrote: View Post
It's called sustainability. If the system will carry those who won't contribute, less and less people are going to contribute. That's human nature. That increases the burden on the people who do, until it gets unsustainable.

To say nothing of the fact that the more "free" health care gets, the lesser quality and longer waits you get.
Funny how reality disagrees with you. It's almost like you are so blind in your ideology than you can't see the facts.

teacake wrote: View Post
It's funny watching americans argue that people who enjoy their socialized medicine as a reality are wrong, really it sucks.
Tosk wrote: View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. It's scary/amusing to see people point out reasons why it absolutely, positively, cannot work. ...even though it totally does.
Stole my words.
Old January 8 2013, 01:53 AM   #47
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

At the time, Critical Care seemed to be a scathing take on HMOs. It's not "socialized medicine" as was the subject of the 2010 debate, it's different levels of health care based on socio-economic class, thus how the rich in the episode got life-saving medicine that was on short supply on the bottom level for extraneous beauty/longevity treatments. The comparison was the rich can pay for top-notch health care but the general public could not, especially when health care costs rose like a runaway train relative to inflation.

I remember "Critical Care" was part of a rising chorus in tv/film sort of approaching the issue of health care, complaining about it. Health care costs were just starting to soar over the mid-late '90s (there's a 1997 film with Jack Nicholson with a one-liner complaining about health care and it was widely reported that line got applause from people in theaters even though it was just a one-off line, not intended to play for laugh/cheers/applause). It's sad to think over the past 12-15 years, health care still isn't fixed and with the kerfuffle in 2010, that was still just a patch on a system with deep-running problems. After 2000, the subject just disappeared. I think it went off the radar even before 9/11.

... and then there's things like this which expose problems in the system. So much of the insurance/copay factor should not be a concern for someone and their family going through this:
http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...uffers-stroke/

Last edited by DeepSpaceWine; January 8 2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added link
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:58 AM   #48
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Trek is a satire-free zone.
Just spent five minutes staring into space trying come up with an exception to this.

I got nothing.
"Bread and Circuses"--with its gags about commercials and ratings for televised gladitorial death matches?

And, btw, I'm pretty sure all medicine in Star Trek is socialized.

When was the last time you saw Dr. McCoy billing somebody or arguing with an insurance company?
Old January 8 2013, 02:29 AM   #49
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Quark "Bashir? How good of a doctor can he be? He doesn't even charge for his services!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote