Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 24 2013, 12:24 AM   #31
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Re: 50th Anniversary eBooks

Well, I've read it. It's brilliant. It's like a story from the 1977 Dr Who Annual, written by someone with seemingly no knowledge of the series at all. It's the sort of the bonkers stuff that modern brand-managed Who fiction hasn't given us for years. As to whether it's any good...

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 12:57 AM   #32
diankra
Commodore

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
Well, I've read it. It's brilliant. It's like a story from the 1977 Dr Who Annual, written by someone with seemingly no knowledge of the series at all. It's the sort of the bonkers stuff that modern brand-managed Who fiction hasn't given us for years. As to whether it's any good...
I think you just answered that: "It's like a story from the 1977 Dr Who Annual, written by someone with seemingly no knowledge of the series at all." Please tell me that X-Rani turns out to be the villain, and the ugly mutants put in an appearance?
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 11:00 PM   #33
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Don't be silly, that was the 1980 Annual.

I'm not saying this like it's a bad thing. I think what Colfer's done is rewrite the first Doctor as if he was being made for today's tv audience, which as the stories are being aimed at the kids who watch the show today, strikes me as a sensible thing to do. There's a place for every interpretation in Doctor Who fiction, not just stories that slavishly copy the style of the tv series in any particular era. Those tales that really push the envelope can be some of the most exciting.

Old January 25 2013, 10:34 AM   #34
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I think there is some middle ground between 'Slavishly copy' and 'is written by someone who read about Doctor Who once in the Radio times'. I'm torn on it, there are a couple of neat ideas in there but as part of the celebration I would have liked to have seen a story that was actually about the Doctor as he was not as he could be remade. Otherwise what's the point of having a 50 year celebration?

I guess the real question is who this is actually intended for? Doctor Who fans or Colfer fans?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2013, 10:44 AM   #35
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I've started a proper review thread.
Old February 5 2013, 05:37 PM   #36
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Michael Scott is writing the second Doctor book.

No, not Michael Scott of Dunder Mifflin, though that's who I immediately thought of. This Michael Scott is an Irish author who wrote a series about Nicholas Flamel, the alchemist associated with the Philosopher's Stone.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 07:18 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Sample here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-...-michael-scott
Old February 13 2013, 11:39 PM   #38
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Nice. Somehow expecting a chainsaw, but nice.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 01:54 AM   #39
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Neil Gaiman is writing the final novella in the series.

Nothing O’Clock stars the Eleventh Doctor, the Matt Smith Doctor, with Amy Pond as his companion. I set it somewhere during the first season of Matt Smith, mostly on Earth, in our time now and in 1984, but also somewhere else, a very, very long time ago. I had never created an original monster for Doctor Who and really enjoyed getting to create a creepy Doctor Who monster of the kind that we haven’t quite seen before… I hope that the Kin will get out there and occasionally give people nightmares. And that you will be worried if a man in a rabbit mask comes to your door and tries to buy your house.
I've known about Gaiman's participation since summer, but wasn't able to say that I knew. I'm really curious to see how Gaiman handles Doctor Who in prose. At least as well as he handled Elric and Narnia, I'd hope.

allyngibson.net
Old November 5 2013, 01:48 PM   #40
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Very cool.

I might check out the printed copy at some point. Far too many books on my to read list and I'm way behind.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 05:52 PM   #41
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The author of the twelfth Doctor story in the series has been announced -- Holly Black, of The Spiderwick Chronicles. "Lights Out" will be published on its own as an eBook as well as in 12 Doctors 12 Stories, an expanded (but not expanded enough -- no War Doctor story) omnibus of last year's 11 Doctors 11 Stories.

There's also a slipcased edition of 12 Doctors 12 Stories coming out, with each story in its own slim paperback volume. It looks really nice, and I like the cover design. Naturally, I had to go and order one.

allyngibson.net
Old August 4 2014, 10:13 PM   #42
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I got the big paper back, so part of me is sad that it's no longer the full set. But it's a damn pretty book, so I'll just by this one solo.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2014, 06:18 PM   #43
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Yeah, there's no way I'm buying the whole sodding book again just because it's got one extra story in it, so yes, it'll be ebook only for me this time. Suck on that, Puffin books!