Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 25 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Sixth Doctor and the Brigadier

It was originally planned in season 23 that the Brigadier would appear in Colin Baker's second season, but the hiatus sort of messed that up and we got Trial Of A Time Lord instead. So we didn't get a Brigadier (or UNIT) story for six years after The Five Doctors, in Battlefield.

If I remember correctly, the story was going to be set in Singapore (Hence continuing the JNT pattern of filming outside England at least once a season) and possibly involve the Master and the Autons teaming up again (With the Rani along for the ride too). I think the intention was for Robert Holmes to write it. Not sure if it, like Mawdryn Undead, would've not featured UNIT but instead have something like the Fifth Doctor stories where he was retired.

But unfortunately the Sixth Doctor 'skipped' Lethbridge Stuart, who appeared again in the final season opener, Battlefield (and indeed this was his last apearence in Doctor Who, old or new, although he did appear in the spinoff Sarah Jane Adventures and was certainly mentioned a few times in the Sontaran episodes-and his death was mentioned in The Wedding Of River Song etc...although we do have Kate)

Of course there were many attempts to rectify this. Dimensions In Time and the Doctor In Distress song both featured Nicholas Courtney briefly with Colin Baker, and of course there were a few novels and audios which united the two.

How do you think a Sixth Doctor UNIT story would have unfolded, if the original plans had gone ahead? I haven't listened to the Sixth/Brigadiar audios yet, but I'm kind of curious as to how things would've gone.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Sixth Doctor and the Brigadier

You're refering to Yellow Fever, right? That was to be Robert Holmes' third Autons story.

I've no idea how it'd have turned out. Its not like the man had written down a script about it or anything - from what I know, a very, very general outlines and setting were mentioned, and not much else.

Although a certain Ian Levine would disagree...
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 01:10 AM   #3
Candlelight
Admiral

It's unfortunate as he's the only classic doctor who Courtney didn't appear with.
Old July 26 2014, 03:30 AM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I always imagined that the Sixth Doctor and the Brigadier would have clashed famously, but it would all be good-natured and maybe even often funny.
Old July 26 2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

They met in Big Finish's "The Spectre of Lanyon Moor" and got on quite well, actually. Definitely a story worth listening to (and it will probably go on sale for £1 at some point during BF's current sale).
Old July 28 2014, 09:42 PM   #6
ClayinCA
Commodore

And if it does go on sale, by all means, get it (actually, get it even if it's not on sale). It's got the mood and feel of a Hinchcliffe/Baker story, a wonderful pairing of the Brigadier and the Sixth Doctor, and quite a good part for Evelyn as well. It's one of my favourite Sixth Doctor audios.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 01:47 AM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
And if it does go on sale, by all means, get it (actually, get it even if it's not on sale). It's got the mood and feel of a Hinchcliffe/Baker story, a wonderful pairing of the Brigadier and the Sixth Doctor, and quite a good part for Evelyn as well. It's one of my favourite Sixth Doctor audios.
It's in the "First 50", so, the most it should be is $5.00 for CD (If they have any left) or $2.99 for download.

ETA: Yea, 2.99 for download. Apparently CD not available

The Spectre of Lanyon Moor at Big Finish

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

They've stopped pressing CDs for the first 50 of the main range awhile back. They've been selling what's left in stock, but each title runs out a different points.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Lonemagpie
Writer

They did actually meet briefly on screen in Dimensions In Time.

They've also met in the audios, as mentioned upthread, and in the novels (Shadow In The Glass, for example)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 01:26 AM   #10
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
It was originally planned in season 23 that the Brigadier would appear in Colin Baker's second season, but the hiatus sort of messed that up and we got Trial Of A Time Lord instead. So we didn't get a Brigadier (or UNIT) story for six years after The Five Doctors, in Battlefield.

If I remember correctly, the story was going to be set in Singapore (Hence continuing the JNT pattern of filming outside England at least once a season) and possibly involve the Master and the Autons teaming up again (With the Rani along for the ride too). I think the intention was for Robert Holmes to write it. Not sure if it, like Mawdryn Undead, would've not featured UNIT but instead have something like the Fifth Doctor stories where he was retired.

But unfortunately the Sixth Doctor 'skipped' Lethbridge Stuart, who appeared again in the final season opener, Battlefield (and indeed this was his last apearence in Doctor Who, old or new, although he did appear in the spinoff Sarah Jane Adventures and was certainly mentioned a few times in the Sontaran episodes-and his death was mentioned in The Wedding Of River Song etc...although we do have Kate)

Of course there were many attempts to rectify this. Dimensions In Time and the Doctor In Distress song both featured Nicholas Courtney briefly with Colin Baker, and of course there were a few novels and audios which united the two.

How do you think a Sixth Doctor UNIT story would have unfolded, if the original plans had gone ahead? I haven't listened to the Sixth/Brigadiar audios yet, but I'm kind of curious as to how things would've gone.
I'd like to know when Kate was born. The Brigadier's wife was Doris, and in Battlefield it's implied that the marriage was fairly recent. I doubt that in their retirement years they would have become parents... so where did Kate come from? Was Doris her mother, or was she the Brigadier's daughter with some other woman?

Candlelight wrote: View Post
It's unfortunate as he's the only classic doctor who Courtney didn't appear with.
He didn't appear with Paul McGann's Doctor, either.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I think Kate is old enough that she is not a natural birth from the marriage of Alistair and Doris.

I forget what media it was in, but, I recently saw or heard or read something about Kate already being referenced as existing longer than the recent-ness of Doris and Alistair's Marriage (Or perhaps it was a dream creation based upon something that was said somewhere in Classic Who)

Old July 30 2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I think Kate is old enough that she is not a natural birth from the marriage of Alistair and Doris.

I forget what media it was in, but, I recently saw or heard or read something about Kate already being referenced as existing longer than the recent-ness of Doris and Alistair's Marriage (Or perhaps it was a dream creation based upon something that was said somewhere in Classic Who)
Unless she was conceived and born decades before the Brigadier and Doris married, which I can't imagine happening. He was living alone in Mawdryn Undead, but had married Doris by the events of Battlefield. In neither case would they have been young enough to be Kate's natural parents if she was conceived in wedlock.

Therefore, I have to conclude that Kate is either illegitimate, adopted, or the Brigadier and Doris were married, divorced, and married again.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Unless she was conceived and born decades before the Brigadier and Doris married, which I can't imagine happening. He was living alone in Mawdryn Undead, but had married Doris by the events of Battlefield. In neither case would they have been young enough to be Kate's natural parents if she was conceived in wedlock.

Therefore, I have to conclude that Kate is either illegitimate, adopted, or the Brigadier and Doris were married, divorced, and married again.
I seem to recall mention of a Doris in association with The Brig, in a Pertwee or Troughton episode, so, maybe The Brig and Doris did know each other for a lot of years prior to our meeting her in Battlefield. So, yea, maybe they dated for years on and off before getting married or maybe they got remarried (Or maybe I'm imagining this?)

Old July 30 2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Lonemagpie
Writer

Doris is mentioned in Planet of the Spiders as having given the Brig his watch some time previously.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
I'd like to know when Kate was born. The Brigadier's wife was Doris, and in Battlefield it's implied that the marriage was fairly recent. I doubt that in their retirement years they would have become parents... so where did Kate come from? Was Doris her mother, or was she the Brigadier's daughter with some other woman?
I recently watched Battlefield and I didn't get the sense that it was a recent marriage. What made you think it was recent?

Although, you do have to wonder where she was during Mawdryn Undead! However, I think she was mentioned once back in the Pertwee years but never seen. ETA: I see Lonemagpie found the reference!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote