Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 4 2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Sharing Netflix Password

I'm borrowing my mom's Netflix password and I was wondering this is against the rules or something? I live in PA and she lives in Florida... Do they monitor usage? Do they care? Can two people be logged in and viewing at the same time?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 02:22 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Sharing Netflix Password

My daughter uses ours at her boyfriends house all the time and he lives on the other side of town. Never had an issue.
Old June 4 2013, 03:04 AM   #3
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm borrowing my mom's Netflix password and I was wondering this is against the rules or something? I live in PA and she lives in Florida... Do they monitor usage? Do they care? Can two people be logged in and viewing at the same time?
It is against the rules, yes. That said, the CEO has said he really doesn't care if it's shared between extended family. So I doubt highly that they'd care enough to do something about it.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Well I noticed on my account that you have permission to use on 2 devices at the same time, you can pay a little extra for 4 devices at the same time. So I suppose if they're getting paid for it they don't really mind.
Old June 4 2013, 09:03 AM   #5
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

They know, they don't care - in the same way, they know that I'm not in the US at 12.01 and then in the UK at 1305 and then Sweden at 1400.

Speaking of netflix - when are we going to see the multiple user profiles on one account that we were promised? My recommendations are nothing of the sort because my wife watches so much horror (which I have no interest in).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, I can't wait for multiple profiles. I watch a lot of foreign language films, the rest of the family does not.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

In TN it's against the law to share passwords with anyone other than your spouse.
Old June 4 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Green Shirt
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
In TN it's against the law to share passwords with anyone other than your spouse.
How about bodily fluids?
Old June 4 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
It is against the rules, yes. That said, the CEO has said he really doesn't care if it's shared between extended family. So I doubt highly that they'd care enough to do something about it.
My sister-in-law has been using my wife's account for 3 years now.

As of now, the cyber-police have not back tracked anything.
Old June 4 2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Shatinator
Commander

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

The law was pushed through with the help of recording industry lobbyists trying to stop the bleeding that is illegal music sharing, and apparently illegal movie streaming as well.
If you're caught sharing or selling passwords to subscription services in Tennessee, you could face big fines, a misdemeanor, and even jail time. If it's severe enough (if you're a password-dealer), you could be charged with a felony.
The only related clause we could find in the Netflix terms of service states:
BY SHARING THE NETFLIX SERVICE PASSWORD, THE ACCOUNT OWNER AGREES TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSURING THAT HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS COMPLY WITH THE TERMS OF USE AND SUCH ACCOUNT OWNER SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
So if anybody violates the terms of service while using your account, it's your fault, but there's nothing about how many people you can share your account with.
So far, Netflix hasn't dealt with the problem of password-sharing.
The only limit Netflix has in place is that you can only stream content simultaneously on four devices at the same time, which is still a lot. So theoretically, passwords could only be sold three times.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/netfl...#ixzz2VGqmVb00

Could not believe this when read your post, but apparently it is true. I don't even have Netflix or Hulu and glad I don't live in Tennessee, though a beautiful state it may be. A conservative state, whose action seems to point to that the legislature are bothered more by password sharing than Netflix itself. Perhaps this is the Republican definition of small government in action.

Can you imagine doing jail time for this

Old June 4 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Jax
Admiral

My brother and sister use my Netflix though recently we began taking turns each month to pay for it.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I've been using my mom's for years. They don't care.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 02:21 AM   #13
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Shatinator wrote: View Post
Perhaps this is the Republican definition of small government in action.

Can you imagine doing jail time for this

[/LEFT]

As the saying goes, they want the government just small enough to fit into your bedroom.

But that's another topic.

I used to use my mom's Netflix when the DVD and streaming was one. She never used it so I did. I don't bother with Netflix, I don't watch too much TV in the nice months, and in the winter I buy a ton of cheap DVDs.