Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 7 2013, 02:00 AM   #46
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: How was Liz Sladen's death handled on Sarah Jane Adventures?

Christopher wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Whatever has happened in other cases, I do think a revamped SJA would have changed its title based on whoever the lead was, possibly after a final and transitional SJA special.
Maybe, maybe not. One could argue the same thing Sindatur just said about Blake -- that even without Sarah Jane, the team would still be fulfilling her mission and her legacy.
The team was reduced to Clyde and Rani, Luke had already left and no doubt the others would've gone their seperate ways too once they finished their primary education. I think in the end the series ended pretty much where it should have, five seasons would have been enough.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:47 AM   #47
gastrof
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Whatever has happened in other cases, I do think a revamped SJA would have changed its title based on whoever the lead was, possibly after a final and transitional SJA special.
Maybe, maybe not. One could argue the same thing Sindatur just said about Blake -- that even without Sarah Jane, the team would still be fulfilling her mission and her legacy...
No death, tho'. At least not right away. Sarah got some really great opportunity, either with UNIT, or even just in journalism (hey, she was a reporter) and she's "away for a while". Someone steps in and the show goes on. (I know...she'd likely not take some foreign journalism job with all the stuff she knows can go on, but who knows?)

Of course, this is being nothing but fanciful, since it's doubtful at this point the show would be brought back.

Like someone said, there'd more likely be a different spin-off.
Old January 8 2013, 02:04 PM   #48
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

And of course, they could've always changed the name very slightly, but, still be able to capitalize on the old name. Something like Sarah Jane's Adventurers

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 12:53 PM   #49
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

One could also argue that Torchwood was an "Artifact Title" by the time of Miracle Day, since Torchwood had ceased to exist as an organization by that time. So it's not unprecedented even within this franchise.

The reason there are so many "Artifact Titles" is that titles aren't really about conveying accurate information about content, they're about promotion and name recognition. Keeping the same title is a way of saying that it's the same series, that even with a cast change, the viewer will still be getting basically the same experience. Changing the title would mean having to start over from scratch in the name-recognition game.
You don't think there's a slight difference in having a series named "Torchwood" where Torchwood the fictional organization no longer exists... and a series named "The Sarah Jane Adventures" when the actress playing Sarah Jane has passed away and everyone knows she's passed away? Just for name recognition?? One isn't in bad taste; the other is.
Old January 13 2013, 02:50 PM   #50
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
One could also argue that Torchwood was an "Artifact Title" by the time of Miracle Day, since Torchwood had ceased to exist as an organization by that time. So it's not unprecedented even within this franchise.

The reason there are so many "Artifact Titles" is that titles aren't really about conveying accurate information about content, they're about promotion and name recognition. Keeping the same title is a way of saying that it's the same series, that even with a cast change, the viewer will still be getting basically the same experience. Changing the title would mean having to start over from scratch in the name-recognition game.
You don't think there's a slight difference in having a series named "Torchwood" where Torchwood the fictional organization no longer exists... and a series named "The Sarah Jane Adventures" when the actress playing Sarah Jane has passed away and everyone knows she's passed away? Just for name recognition?? One isn't in bad taste; the other is.
The could have changed it just barely and still capitalized on the name by going with The Sarah Jane Adventurers

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:54 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

Well, I was just musing in general about the reason for "Artifact Titles," not seriously advocating a given position re: the title of a hypothetical TSJA continuation. But I don't know if I'd agree that it's in bad taste to pay tribute to a beloved character played by a departed actress.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:04 PM   #52
diankra
Commodore

Well, I was just musing in general about the reason for "Artifact Titles," not seriously advocating a given position re: the title of a hypothetical TSJA continuation. But I don't know if I'd agree that it's in bad taste to pay tribute to a beloved character played by a departed actress.
In that vein, Taggart justified the continued use of the title by occasionally having other detectives say things like "Oh, you're Jim Taggart's team," (often as a dig at the inexperience of the young detective who'd been promoted into his place), which was eventually formalised by having the Glasgow Murder Investigation Team officially named The Taggart Team. So you could have had UNIT and similar make references like:
"Oh, you must be Sarah Jane's kids..."
"We're NOT kids, mate."
"Of course you aren't, Sir."

BTW: as a coincidence, Lis Sladen and Mark McManus (who played Taggart) had the lead roles in a training film for people setting up their own businesses that they must have made sometime in the late 70s or early 80s.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:31 PM   #53
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I was hoping for Smith's Seven.

Luke
Clyde
Rani
Maria
Sky
Mr Smith
K-9