RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,782
Posts: 5,217,371
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 775
Newest member: davestar057

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 9 2013, 10:57 PM   #106
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Atlas Shrugged

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And given that, today, the most popular books in America are the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trilogy, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.
The success of Fifty Shades of Grey is in itself a symptom of a puritan society.
Or of a society that doesn't know it's buying disguised Twilight fanfic.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 12:06 AM   #107
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: Atlas Shrugged

I'll just leave this here.




Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
And given that, today, the most popular books in America are the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trilogy, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.
The success of Fifty Shades of Grey is in itself a symptom of a puritan society.
Or of a society that doesn't know it's buying disguised Twilight fanfic.
Or one that wouldn't know a good book if it smacked them on the ass.
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 02:09 AM   #108
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Zaku wrote: View Post
The Americans are more afraid of sex than politics.
And given that, today, the most popular books in America are the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trilogy, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore. Like I said before, it's rather amusing to see S/M erotica prominently displayed in our neighborhood Wal-Mart and grocery stories.

(P.S. stj: I sympathize with your plight. The only bookstore in our town is the Christian one. I have to drive forty-five minutes and across state lines to find a decent Barnes & Noble . . . .)
Reminds of the only two persistent complaints from when I was in the retail book business. One was from a woman, who was allegedly part of a group, who was upset about our selection of erotica claiming it was child porn. She always threatening boycotts and protests.
The other was from the Scientologists, who were always dropping by to make sure Dianetics was in stock and placed in the "right" category ( Psychology ). They were quick to offer copies if we were out. ( We declined ) and got upset if it wasn't in the Psych section.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 04:00 AM   #109
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Did you put Hagakure in the Sports section?

You did, didn't you?
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:39 AM   #110
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Zaku wrote: View Post
The Americans are more afraid of sex than politics.
And given that, today, the most popular books in America are the "Fifty Shades of Grey" trilogy, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore. Like I said before, it's rather amusing to see S/M erotica prominently displayed in our neighborhood Wal-Mart and grocery stories.

(P.S. stj: I sympathize with your plight. The only bookstore in our town is the Christian one. I have to drive forty-five minutes and across state lines to find a decent Barnes & Noble . . . .)
Reminds of the only two persistent complaints from when I was in the retail book business. One was from a woman, who was allegedly part of a group, who was upset about our selection of erotica claiming it was child porn. She always threatening boycotts and protests.
The other was from the Scientologists, who were always dropping by to make sure Dianetics was in stock and placed in the "right" category ( Psychology ). They were quick to offer copies if we were out. ( We declined ) and got upset if it wasn't in the Psych section.
Book stores put my religious book in the humor section.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-SubGenius.../dp/0671638106
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:43 AM   #111
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Atlas Shrugged

^^^^LOL The Bastards.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:01 AM   #112
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Did you put Hagakure in the Sports section?

You did, didn't you?
Philosophy.

A friend of mine took great pleasure in placing a book called "Short Chic" on the top shelves. He had recently broken up with short girl.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:11 AM   #113
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I'll just leave this here.

I've always enjoyed Bob the Angry Flower when I've run across it, but that particular strip fails in that it's taking a smug potshot at a shortcoming from which the story told in the book does not suffer.
__________________
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank and that settles it. I mean it does nowadays, because we can't burn him."
— Mark Twain, from Following the Equator
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:43 AM   #114
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Atlas Shrugged

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The county library in my rural, red state county has Marx.
So does my local library. I mean, what's so controversial about Marx?



(Hey, somebody had to.)
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.