TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 8 2013, 03:34 AM   #211
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Putting the Shatner "ego issue" from TOS to rest

1001001 wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Kirk, as a character, may be the greatest fictional hero of all time (well, just behind the Doctor, anyway).
Do you mean the Emergency Medical Hologram (I can kind of see it, Picardo being so good) or Doctor Who?
Good Lord, Man!

I'm talking about THE Doctor. No offense to my man Kirk, but the Doctor operates on a whole other level.

Of course, JMHO.
Oh, that one, Doc Adams from Gunsmoke.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 08:02 AM   #212
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Nah, the real Doc is Howard McNear! He originated the role.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 08:17 AM   #213
Gov Kodos
Admiral

So, like Karl Urban as Kor, then?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 05:57 PM   #214
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Actually, I was referring to Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

I thought that was obvious...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 06:55 PM   #215
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Doc Brown from Back to the Future. Hands down.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 11:56 PM   #216
Lance
Fleet Captain

You know, I really think I agree that the Shatner ego issue has been overplayed over the years. My theory is that Shatner had no idea what he was doing: it's well documented he used to take the directors aside and say "Wouldn't it be better if Kirk came to this realisation?", which was really just him beefing up his role as lead actor, putting Kirk front and centre. Where I say he probably didn't even realise is that actors don't tend to read any lines other than their own. Shatner probably hadn't a clue that when he did this, he was actually taking away Sulu's Big Moment In The Script, or he was taking away Uhura's Big Moment In The Script, or he was taking away Scotty's Big Moment In The Script (etc). So naturally, the other actors would seethe that their one (and possibly their only) substantial line in the script had been stolen by Shatner, while Shatner himself probably assumed they had another scene somewhere else in the script. In some cases, he'd inadvertently taken away Sulu's only line in the episode or whatever, but he was probably clueless that this is what he'd done.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 07:52 AM   #217
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Shatner himself probably assumed they had another scene somewhere else in the script. In some cases, he'd inadvertently taken away Sulu's only line in the episode or whatever, but he was probably clueless that this is what he'd done.

I'm not quite on board with that. It's true that actors with a whole script to learn every week can only learn their own parts. But Shatner had a deliberate policy preference that STAR TREK was to be a straight-to-the-point, hero-driven show, not a meandering ensemble piece.

It was always "We tell stories about people," but for Shatner, people meant Kirk and this week's aliens, not the functionaries who take Kirk's orders.

And STAR TREK was cast with that common '60s TV philosophy in mind. The little people were never intended to carry the show. That's why (for instance) Roddenberry could give the recurring female roles exclusively to women he was having sex with. Barrett, Nichols, and Whitney were all putting out for him, and it showed. They were very limited actors.

If TREK had been designed as an ensemble, it would have needed somebody good taking Kirk's orders, an actress with talent and charisma like Marianna Hill. The supporting cast Shatner actually got is precisely what vindicates his hero-driven story preference.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote