RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,682
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 777
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 19 2013, 12:41 AM   #586
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

91. Disappearance of Alice Creed: A
92. Deathrace 2000: C+
93. Thor Dark World: A-
94. Superman Unbound: B+
95. JCVD: B-

I took a day or so to think on this one before grading. As I was watching it I was not happy. I had felt that this was going to be a documentary type film, with some personal moments and reflection by the man and perhaps how he saw his legacy and so forth.

Instead it's basically an independent foreign film, subtitled that is Jean Claude, playing Jean Claude but doing himself in as close to a dramatic role as possible.

So, having digested it and taking the project as it is I'm going B-, whereas I was going a bit lower but admit my personal expectations were skewing that. I think I'm being more fair now.

I'm glad I saw it, wouldn't own it but it did have some good humor. The story was clear and easy to follow. Jean Claude did do a good job playing a hyped version of himself if by chance the "action star hero" we know were put into a real life dangerous situation. How would "the hero" respond? Then he gets screwed in the end by the government needing to make someone pay although it's clear he was under duress. Can't believe that the extortion thing would stick.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 02:43 AM   #587
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Hanasaku Iroha (Blossoms for Tomorrow): Home Sweet Home (9)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica III: Rebellion (9)

Current Total: 80
Old November 20 2013, 04:22 AM   #588
Agent Richard07
Admiral

184. Welcome to the Rileys (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - A man who lost his teenage daughter meets a 16-year old stripper on a business trip and stays in town to look after her. Then his wife eventually joins him. Stars James Gandolfini and Kristen Stewart, and both are pretty good in their roles. Gandolfini didn't remind me of Tony Soprano at all and Stewart gave it her all, playing a foul-mothed runaway stripper. I stumbled onto this movie last night by accident and I'm glad I did. It's worth a look.

185. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (✩✩½) - Live TV - Critters terrorize a child in a large mansion. Stars Guy Pearce, Katie Holmes and the talented and wise beyond her years Bailee Madison. I first saw her as the young and earnest Snow White on Once Upon a Time and I've liked her in everything she's been in. If she plays her cards right, she'll go places. So far she's getting a lot of good work. The movie wasn't very scary or even very good but I stuck with it just for the actors.

186. 2 Guns (✩✩) - Download - Meh. The only good thing about this movie was Paula Patton in bed in just a thong. Okay, Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington were pretty cool as waisecracking guys but there wasn't much else in this convoluted plot. Okay, there's Edward James Olmos but that's it.

187. Paranoia (✩✩✩½) - Download - The late summer movie starring Liam Hemsworth with Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman in supporting roles. This movie was universally panned by critics, the movie-going public didn't like it and it bombed miserably at the box office, but I enjoyed it. This is one of those times were I don't agree with the consesnsus and don't entirely see what the problem is.

188. Boogie Nights (✩✩✩) - Download - Finally saw this. It was over-long and not as shocking as some make it out to be but it was fun seeing a lot of actors who have since become bigger stars. That and seeing Heather Graham nude is always a pleasure. Wasn't this the movie that got her estranged from her family or something?

189. Wild Things (✩✩✩✩) - Download - Finally saw this too. I loved all the twists and turns. Three sequels were made. I might check 'em out but I have a feeling that they're not very good.

190. Garden Party (✩✩✩½) - Download - An independent film about a cast of down and out characters as they grapple with their sexual deviancies in L.A. It wasn't half bad. Jennifer Lawrence made a small appearance. This movie was made in 2008, just before she became famous.

191. Safe (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - Julianne Moore plays an affluent L.A. wife who suddenly starts getting sick and withdrawing from life for reasons that doctors can't explain and much to the frustration of her husband and stepson. It's a pretty good movie that leaves you thinking about the nature of illness. I don't want to say much more than that because there's a lot you have to see for yourself.

Theatre: 28
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 5
Live TV: 22
Download: 99
YouTube: 3
Screening: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 10:11 PM   #589
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Rock Jocks - Netflix Instant
Redemption - Netflix Instant
Olympus has Fallen - Netflix Instant
TNT Jackson(1974) - Netflix Instant
Foxy Brown - Netflix Instant
Empire State - Netflix Instant
Brotherhood of Death - Netflix Instant
Charley Varrick - Netflix Instant
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels - Netflix Instant
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II - Netflix Instant
Mulan II - Netflix Instant
Sharknado - Netflix Instant
2-Headed Shark Attack - Netflix Instant
Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus - Netflix Instant
Thor: The Dark World 3D - matinee
Ender's Game - matinee
Saturday Night Fever - Netflix Instant
Staying Alive - Netflix Instant
Urban Cowboy - Netflix Instant
Flashdance - Netflix Instant
Pretty in Pink - Netflix Instant
Escape Plan - matinee
The American - Netflix Instant
Joan Rivers: Don't Start With Me - Netflix Instant
Europa Report - Netflix Instant
The Lifeguard - Netflix Instant
Charlotte's Web (2006) - Netflix Instant
Robot & Frank - Netflix Instant
Albert Nobbs - Netflix Instant
Punch-Drunk Love - Netflix Instant
101 Dalmations (1996) - Netflix Instant
The War - Netflix Instant

TA was a very quiet, slow paced film starrin' George Clooney as an American operative in Italy, makin' a sniper rifle for a contract killer. It was alright to watch once, but I'm not in a rush to see it again.

The Joan Rivers stand up was bad. Her openin' joke was about Michael Jackson and sexual molestation, so I double checked IMDB, and yes, it was filmed in 2012.

ER was okay, though some day I will stop watchin' "found footage" movies, even if they are about discoverin' alien life on Jupiter's moons.

TL was a pretty bad movie about a not quite thirty year old woman retreatin' from her life and goin' back to livin' with her parents, gettin' stoned with her friends and workin' as a lifeguard, the same job she had in high school.

The live action CW was a very sweet movie with a great voice cast. The crows stressin' out about gettin' corn was hilarious.

R&F was kind of awesome. Starrin' Frank Langella as a retired thief who uses a robot that's meant to love after him to start a life of crime again.

AN was a pretty good period drama with Glenn Close as a crossdresed waiter in Ireland.

PDL was one of Adam Sandler's better movies, up there with Reign Over Me, 50 First Dates & The Wedding Singer.

Watched the 425th "new to me" movie of the year last night, the live action 101 Dalmations starrin' Glenn Close, Hugh Laurie and Jeff Daniels. It wasn't too bad...kinda prefer the animated one, though.

Watchin' The War starrin' Kevin Costner & Elijah Wood now...
Old November 20 2013, 11:48 PM   #590
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I saw the sci-fi film The Last Days on Mars on In-Demand. It comes out in theaters next month.

It was good, if a little derivative. I really liked the concept (astronauts find strange bacteria - possibly alien in nature - on Mars) but I thought it became a little too similar to previous sci-fi films halfway through (i.e. Sunshine). I guess I was hoping/expecting more of an outright science-fiction film than what it eventually became. I don't want to spoil it so I'll be intentionally vague about where it goes plot-wise.

It's a very well-shot film, though, with some wonderful actors. Liev Schrieber leads the cast and it was nice to see him in this kind of movie with a lead role. The rest of the cast is strong. It's a decent entry in the sci-fi pantheon. I just wish it was a little more original and daring in the second half.
Old November 22 2013, 02:26 AM   #591
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-
28) Kickass 2 - C+
29) 28 Days - C
30) Mamma Mia - B+
31) I Do (And I Don't) - F
32) Admission - D-
33) The Upside Of Anger - D-
34) The Book of Eli - B+
35) Pitch Perfect - D+
36) Prisoners - B+
37) This Is The End - B+
38) Footloose - A-
39) Killing Kennedy - A
40) About Time - A

This movie did something not a lot of movies have been able to do and that is tug at my heartstrings, specifically in it's final scenes.

Domhnall Gleeson is well cast as the slightly nerdish, awkward guy who matures throughout the movie, but you do have to wonder how he ends up with a cute girl like Rachel McAdams. Bill Nighy once again stands out, like every movie I've seen him in.

The weakness of the movie is that even with a two hour run time, the characters and story just don't seem to be fleshed out. You feel like you're only getting flashes of these people and not enough to make you connect with them.

But still, I recommend you go see it.
Old November 23 2013, 03:31 AM   #592
od0_ital
Admiral

Rock Jocks - Netflix Instant
Redemption - Netflix Instant
Olympus has Fallen - Netflix Instant
TNT Jackson(1974) - Netflix Instant
Foxy Brown - Netflix Instant
Empire State - Netflix Instant
Brotherhood of Death - Netflix Instant
Charley Varrick - Netflix Instant
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels - Netflix Instant
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II - Netflix Instant
Mulan II - Netflix Instant
Sharknado - Netflix Instant
2-Headed Shark Attack - Netflix Instant
Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus - Netflix Instant
Thor: The Dark World 3D - matinee
Ender's Game - matinee
Saturday Night Fever - Netflix Instant
Staying Alive - Netflix Instant
Urban Cowboy - Netflix Instant
Flashdance - Netflix Instant
Pretty in Pink - Netflix Instant
Escape Plan - matinee
The American - Netflix Instant
Joan Rivers: Don't Start With Me - Netflix Instant
Europa Report - Netflix Instant
The Lifeguard - Netflix Instant
Charlotte's Web (2006) - Netflix Instant
Robot & Frank - Netflix Instant
Albert Nobbs - Netflix Instant
Punch-Drunk Love - Netflix Instant
101 Dalmations(1996) - Netflix Instant
The War - Netflix Instant
Regarding Henry - Netflix Instant
The World's Fastest Indian - Netflix Instant
Ordinary People - Netflix Instant
Crossing Over - Netflix Instant
The Grifters - Netflix Instant

RH was an alright melodrama with Harrison Ford as an affluent attorney who gets shot in the head and becomes a different person after loosin' his memory. It was alright, not great, but at least it was from a time in his career where he was still actin'.

TWFI was a pretty good "based on a true story" starrin' Anthony Hopkins as a New Zealander who travels from the ass end of the world to Utah to compete in time trials on his jury-rigged motorcycle.

OP was another interestin' melodrama about a family on the verge after the death of their first son and the attempted suicide of the second son.

That was all yesterday.

Watched CO this mornin'. It was one of those "everyone is connected" kinda dramas about immigration & deportation in Los Angeles. Pretty good cast that included Harrison Ford, Ray Liotta, Alice Eve & Ashley Judd.

Followed that with TG before my nephews got home from school. Last time I tried to watch the movie, I used my high school report card to rent it on VHS. And back then, about twenty years ago, I fell asleep watchin' it...gave it a second chance today. It was an alright movie, with a good cast, at least. John Cusack, Anjelica Huston, an often naked Annette Bening, with Pat Hingle & JT Walsh in supportin' roles.

Been watchin' Futurama, Chuck & Leverage this evenin' since the nephews got home...
Old November 23 2013, 07:24 AM   #593
CaptainCanada
Admiral

80. Shakespeare in Love (A+)

Still a delightful piece of filmmaking, and one of the most literate screenplays of the last 25 years or so. The fact that this film is often reflexively cited as an example of an undeserving Best Picture winner makes no sense to me.

81. The Descendants (B+)

Rewatching this for the first time since 2011. I think I gave it an A- before, so this is a slight downgrade, but it's still a very well-made film, with terrific performances, particularly from Clooney and Woodley (the latter, though ultimately missing out on an Oscar nomination, has since escaped The Secret Life of the American Teen and can now do good work on film full-time, as with this year's excellent The Spectacular Now). I think the subplot with the land transaction feels kind of disconnected from everything else.

Cinema: 30
Home Video: 42 (+2)
Computer: 7

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 10:51 AM   #594
od0_ital
Admiral

^

I think people have such a hard time with Shakespeare in Love is that it won against Saving Private Ryan, and since Steven Spielberg won for best director just minutes before not winnin' for best picture, I think it caused a lot of backlash.
Old November 23 2013, 06:19 PM   #595
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I really liked The World's Fastest Indian. Great movie.

193. Prisoners (✩✩✩✩✩) - Download - This is the 4th movie of the year to get five stars from me. A truly gripping thriller right to the very last shot. Get this and watch it. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal star.

194. Loosies (✩✩✩½) - Netflix - A pick-pocket finds out that he got a one-night stand pregnant. He then tries to rekindle things with her while keeping ahead of the cops. I got it because Jaimie Alexander plays the pregnant girl. It's a small film but an entertaining piece.

195. Take Shelter (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - An examination of mental illness that has an ending that will leave you thinking. I bumped it up a grade or two because of that ending. Stars Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain.

196. The Last Days on Mars (✩✩) - Download - Saw this after reading JacksonArcher's post. Excellent production values but the story was pretty weak and hard to follow.

197. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (✩✩✩) - Theatre - I was a little bored and unimpressed. My review is here.

198. The Starving Games (✩✩½) - Download - A Hunger Games parody. An empty experience with some gross-out humor and a few funny moments that'll make you shake your head because you laughed at them. In the end, it's about what you'd expect from a low quality spoof.

199. Crossing Over (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - Saw this after reading od0's post and yeah, it was pretty good. Reminded me of Crash. Not as powerful, but it's a similar set-up.

Theatre: 29
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 10
Live TV: 22
Download: 103
YouTube: 3
Screening: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 07:52 PM   #596
CaptainCanada
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
I think people have such a hard time with Shakespeare in Love is that it won against Saving Private Ryan
Well, of course, but I think Shakespeare is a better film.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 09:18 PM   #597
Harvey
Admiral

Band of Brothers is better than Saving Private Ryan, anyway.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 11:44 PM   #598
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
I think people have such a hard time with Shakespeare in Love is that it won against Saving Private Ryan
Well, of course, but I think Shakespeare is a better film.
Other than the first 15 or so minutes of SPR, do people really think it's a great film? I remember when it came out there was a ton of talk about the first part of the movie, but after that the film kind of became average. In hindsight, I liked SPR, but there was a certain charm to Shakespeare in Love that made it a better movie. That, and Fiennes and Paltrow were really good together.
Old November 23 2013, 11:52 PM   #599
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Band of Brothers is better than Saving Private Ryan, anyway.
This is true.
Old November 24 2013, 11:31 PM   #600
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
7) The Perks of being a Wallflower (2012) - B+
8) Looper (2012) - B+
9) Iron Man 3 (2013) - B
10) Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - B-
11) Monster's Inc (2001) - A
12) Man of Steel (2013) - B
13) Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) - B
14) Monsters University (2013) - C
15) Fruitvale Station (2013) - B
16) Dredd (2012) - B+
17) Lilo and Stitch (2002) - B
18) Gravity (2013) - A-
19) Captain Phillips (2013) - A
20) Thor: The Dark World (2013) - B
21) Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) - B+

I write this review as someone who didn't read the books.

Just got back from seeing HG and I really liked it. Lawrence was great as usual, but I really liked some of the other actors playing tributes. One of the flaws of The Hunger Games was it's mostly plot driven and you don't get much character development, and that kind of continues here but I was happy we got to see some more of the tributes and districts this time around. As for the ending, I don't want to spoil it, but they set it up well enough where I think the third book has to be two movies. We're finally getting to the core of story and I'm not sure you can tell that story in just one film. The second one is usually hard to grade on it's own because a movie would just stop, rather than end, if it sets up a third part but I felt this one ended well enough to be it's own movie and set up Mockingjay. Looking forward to the next one next year.

Theater: 11 (+1)
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 5
Itunes: 2
Netflix: 3