RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 790
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 4 2013, 09:31 PM   #466
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Extraterrestre - Amazon Prime on my iPad - This is a spanish movie also known as Extraterrestrial in english. I prefer to watch foreign movies in the native language with subtitles, I find it's lest distracting then dubbed. While I loved the setup and premise of this movie, A UFO appears in the sky but the movie is not about the UFO. Its about a handful of people and their reaction to the UFO. Unfortunately the setup is totally wasted on this film, the writing is horrible, the acting is horrible, and the effects are just okay. The drama they try to portray is lackluster, the comedy falls completely flat.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 09:34 PM   #467
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I finally saw John Carter and really liked it. It was fun, had some good action sequences and a totally awesome score by Michael Giacchino...B+
Old September 5 2013, 09:24 PM   #468
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Spy Kids: All the Time in the World- Showtime on Demand
Arthur Christmas - Showtime on Demand
Gideon's Army - HBO on Demand
Home on the Range - Starz on Demand
The Darkest Hour - Showtime on Demand
Think Like a Man - DVD
The Vow - DVD
Puppetmaster - DVD
Apollo 18 - Showtime on Demand

Watched a few movies via on demand Tuesday.

G'sA was a documentary about public defenders in Georgia & Mississippi.

HotR was a Disney animated movie, looked like it was hand drawn. And, I gotta say, castin' Rosanne as the voice of a huge show cow...a bit too spot on, I think.

TDH was a dumb horror movie about twentysomethings survivin' an alien attack in Moscow.

Watched DVDs yesterday...

TLaM was just all around bad. Based on the book by Steve Harvey, it follows several couples in their attempts to use his book's advice on how to navigate their partners successfully.

TV was interestin', though still kinda dull, movie about a guy who's wife suffers a traumatic brain injury and forgets the five years they have had together.

PM was a doofy horror movie that seems to depend way too much on people not lookin' down to see animated puppets runnin' 'round.

Watchin' A18 via Showtime on Demand now. Its the 300th "new to me" movie of the year.
Old September 7 2013, 12:24 AM   #469
Agent Richard07
Admiral

146. Riddick (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - My review is here. I'm surprised by the low score and bad reviews because I quite liked it. The movie had some pretty good wit and badassery and Vin Diesel was in top form. I have a few nits, but my main one is that the ending fell flat.

Theatre: 23
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 5
Live TV: 17
Download: 67
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 10:21 PM   #470
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
A Certain Magical Index: The Miracle of Endymion (8)

Current Total: 63
Old September 8 2013, 03:05 PM   #471
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B
27) Love, Actually - A-
28) Kickass 2 - C+
29) 28 Days - C
30) Mamma Mia - B+

Okay, I can be really hard on movie musicals as a theatre major, but this was well done. The story never answers the big question of who Sophie's Dad is after making it such a focal point, but the majority of movie goers won't really care.

I think what really drags this movie down is that none of the actors are really vocal powerhouses. Pierce Bronsan's singing is actually hilariously bad.

But it's a good popcorn flick and was perfect for a date night.
Old September 9 2013, 01:18 AM   #472
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Riddick (10)

Current Total: 64
Old September 9 2013, 02:32 AM   #473
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

74. Stargate: Ark of Truth: A-
75. Stargate: Continuum: A
76. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: B-
77. Pi: C-
78. Riddick: B+

I really enjoyed the return of Richard B. Riddick. I found it weaved an explanation out of the events of Chronicles while tying back to Pitch Black to be well done. The story shifts from man vs environment, to man vs man to finally man vs creatures while moving the narrative forward and even loosely showing a progression through the trials in each act to get to the conclusion to be well done. With only a $38m budget and having pulled $26m WW($18.5 dom) in it's first week I think we are likely to get a 4th installment.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:57 PM   #474
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Horrible Bosses - HBO go on Apple TV - They should have just crossed out Bosses and called this movie Horrible, it would have been a way better description of the movie. Even with all the crude language and behavior, this movie just wan't funny. This is the kind of movie you watch and say, if I was in a movie theater I would walk out on it. If I wasn't lying in bed and full of apathy, I would have turned it off. I'm sorry I watched it, I'm worse off for having done so.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:17 AM   #475
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
From Up on Poppy Hill (10)

Current Total: 65
Old September 10 2013, 07:29 PM   #476
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

75. Stargate: Continuum: A
76. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: B-
77. Pi: C-
78. Riddick: B+
79. Percy Jackson: Lightning Thief: B

Had this moved up in my Netflix queue with the intent to perhaps catch the new film. Not sure I'll make it but I did enjoy this first entry. I always like Pierce Brosnan and him playing the role of sage trainer/sensei to the half-lings was well suited to him. Uma Thurman as the Medusa was somewhat funny, she hammed it up a bit in that garden scene. And, hey Nashville makes a cameo as the heroes journey to our replica of the Partheneon to search out one of the Pearls they need. Some of the f/x in places were noticeable but overall it didn't take me out of the film. I mean Sean Bean as Zeus, that's kinda funny since Bean is usually the bad guy.

I understand the newest entry has underperformed but WW may yet save it again.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 06:37 PM   #477
od0_ital
Admiral

^

If ya do get to the sequel, ya should keep in mind that while Pierce Brosnan's character is in the movie, it was recast, with Anthony Stewart Head (Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) takin' over the role.

Think Like a Man - DVD
The Vow - DVD
Puppetmaster - DVD
Flipper (1996) - Encore on Demand
Horrible Bosses - HBO on Demand
Legal Eagles - HBO
A Sound of Thunder - HBO
The Land That Time Forgot - TCM on Demand
Bob Saget: That's What I'm Talking About - Showtime on Demand
The Descendants - HBO on Demand
He Said, She Said - Epix on Demand
Phunny Business - Showtime on Demand
Brother Bear - Epix on Demand
The Parent Trap (1998) - HBO

The niece & nephew enjoyed Flipper quite a bit. It just made me wanna watch Paul Hogan's better movies, like Crocodile Dundee or Crocodile Dundee II.

I thought Horrible Bosses was pretty funny. Not great, but Kevin Spacey's ginormous asshole of a boss made it awesome.

Legal Eagles...back around '89 or '90, my dad rented this movie, and watched it late at night, after I had gone to bed. The next day, when I asked to watch it, he said no, I couldn't, and it was returned to the video rental place and we never rented it again. I remember a teaser trailer for it on another rental of Darryl Hannah playin' with fire, and assumed that LE was some sort of erotic thriller with arson. But, I never got around to watchin' it to see for myself...

...'til last week, when one of the HBO channels was showin' it. I set the DVR to record it, and watched it the next day. Turns out, it was just a bad movie...great cast that included Robert Redford, Terrance Stamp & Brian Dennehy, but a terrible freakin' movie. And not at all what I was expectin'...opposites attract romantic wanna be comedy that centered on art fraud without ever showin' the paintin' everyone is makin' such a fuss about.

ASoT was a bad scifi movie, and since it was made over a decade after Jurassic Park, there's really no excuse for such gawd awful CGI.

TLTTF was an okay scifi movie from the '70s. Since it was made two decades before Jurassic Park, they have an excuse for the bad dinosaur effects.

Spent the weekend watchin' the third season of Boardwalk Empire before gettin' back to movies on Monday.

Bob Saget's standup special was a series of dick & fart jokes. Still, a few of 'em made me laugh, 'cause, ya know, sometimes you're just in the mood for dick & fart jokes.

The Descendants was depressin' as fuck. Jesus, what a downer of a movie. Good cast, though.

HS,SS was okay. It was a new to me Kevin Bacon movie...tried to watch She's Having a Baby last night, but the on demand wasn't workin' for some reason.

PB was a not too terrible documentary about the first, and only, black comedy club to have opened in Chicago, how it started, who performed, and why it got shut down. I just thought it used too many cheap tricks and overplayed some of the visuals to pad the story out. Maybe I spent too much time listenin' to one of my ex roommates that edits documentaries...

Watched BB with the niece & nephew last night...the girl like the animals, but the boy couldn't follow the story, and neither of 'em really seemed to "get" the endin' of the movie. Ah, well...

And finally, Lindsay Lohan's theatrical debut, the '98 remake of The Parent Trap. It hit all the beats of the original, but didn't bring anything new to the story, and what was added from the original felt cheesy rather than interestin'. And it went on a bit longer than the original, too But, Lohan did a good job as the twins, and Dennis Quaid is almost always fun to watch.
Old September 13 2013, 07:00 AM   #478
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
The Departed (7)

Current Total: 66
Old September 15 2013, 03:37 AM   #479
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I saw Blue Jasmine a second time, further bolstering my good impression of it.

62. 21 Jump Street (B+)

Remaking an old TV show as a comedy is a dicey proposition. I usually think it doesn't work, and can come across as pretty smug. But it works gangbusters here. The writing clicks, and the film actually, despite the parody, morphs into something of a sequel to the original series, down to the eventual cameos, etc. The film also repeatedly takes shots at its own existence. One gets the sense that this probably started its existence as a more straightforward adaptation, and was retooled into its final form, which is simultaneously far more metatexual and more of a salute to the old show.

63. Moonrise Kingdom (A+)

Had the opportunity to introduce one of my friends to this today. Still my favourite film of 2012, and one of the just plain more enjoyable films in recent memory.

64. This Is The End (A-)

The definite comedic highlight of this past summer, which I finally got to see since they just re-released it (I was in England during its initial release period). Satirizing Hollywood is like shooting fish in a barrel, of course, but the film does it well. The film feels, in a lot of ways, like the logical conclusion to the post-Apatow era of Hollywood comedies, stylistically. One of the most common complaints people have lodged against them is the clubby aesthetic and alleged excessive focus on the problems of a very exclusive set of people -- here we've got a bunch of celebrities forced to confront their own flaws in the face of the Apocalypse.

Cinema: 23 (+1)
Home Video: 37 (+2)
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 06:34 PM   #480
od0_ital
Admiral

Think Like a Man - DVD
The Vow - DVD
Puppetmaster - DVD
Flipper (1996) - Encore on Demand
Horrible Bosses - HBO on Demand
Legal Eagles - HBO
A Sound of Thunder - HBO
The Land That Time Forgot - TCM on Demand
Bob Saget: That's What I'm Talking About- Showtime on Demand
The Descendants - HBO on Demand
He Said, She Said - Epix on Demand
Phunny Business - Showtime on Demand
Brother Bear - Epix on Demand
The Parent Trap (1998) - HBO
Nine Innings from Ground Zero - HBO on Demand
J. Edgar - Cinemax on Demand
Hyde Park on Hudson - HBO
A Thousand Words - HBO
War Horse - Showtime on Demand
Chimpanzee - Starz on Demand
Phil Spector - HBO on Demand
Muppet Treasure Island - HBO

Watched NIfGZ on 9/11 - its a documentary about how baseball in general and the Yankees postseason helped the city and the country after the terrorist attacks twelve years ago.

Followed that with a couple of biopics the next day. J.E was alright, not great. I liked Armie Hammer in it, though. That makes for four movies I've seen him in, and he's been pretty impressive in all of 'em, even Mirror, Mirror. HPoH wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be...Bill Murray was alright, but you've made a bad movie if the trailer has dialogue that the music drowns out in the film.

ATW...anyone else seen this? 'cause it just about drove me nuts. Eddie Murphy is a guy who lies to a guru and winds up with a tree in his yard, and for each word he says, a leaf falls from the tree. So, once he realizes this, he tries to write a note, but for each written word, a leaf falls. He gets pissed, and flips the tree the bird. A leaf falls. Seems to me that the bird is "Fuck you!", thus, two words, so two leaves should have fallen, right? Also, for the rest of the movie, he's able to gesture wildly, like a game of charades gone horribly awry, but no leaves fall, so was it just that one gesture that can cause a leaf to fall? If so, why that one? Because it can only mean one thing? Also, his character is able to draw pictures...why do words count but pictures can't? They're both used to express the one with a pen or piece of chalk in their hand, right?

Obviously, I'm givin' this movie way more thought than the folks who made it did...

WH was alright. I liked seein' Tom Hiddleston as someone other than Loki, and it was cool to spot Benedict Cumberbatch, too. But I didn't recognize anyone else in the movie about a horse that was sold into service to the British army durin' WWI.

Chimpanzee was an interestin' documentary about an orphaned chimp in the wild, narrated by Tim Allen.

PS was basically fan fic written about folks involved in the murder trial. There is even a disclaimer before the movie - this is not based on what really happened, or a statement about the trial, it is what the writer thinks could have happened between Spector and his defense attorney.

MTI wasn't too terrible...Tim Curry was alright, and I liked that Sweetums wound up with a pretty prominent role.