New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 9 2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

4. The Thing (✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - I saw the 2011 version. Basically, a monster starts killing people at a research station in the Antarctic. The movie lacked soul. It's the same story that was done better in the Alien movies and Leviathan. I'm giving it a generous score though because the production of the movie is a fascinating one and I enjoyed watching Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I never heard of this movie, maybe because it did badly at the box office, but it somehow ended up on my ziplist. I probably added it because it was a Winstead movie. I've always liked her. I especially liked that she became the Ripley character right down to the flame-thrower. After I saw the movie, I read that she was written with Ripley in mind. Funny too because I've been thinking lately that Winstead kind of looks like a young Sigourney Weaver. As for the production, it's a prequel to the 1982 movie. Apparently Ron Moore worked on the screenplay but it was eventually re-written by someone else. And this movie has the same title because they couldn't come up with anything better and didn't want to add a subtitle, as doing so seemed forced. I've never seen the 1982 version, but I kind of want to now. Apparently it picks up right where this one ends.

Theatre: 0
DVD: 2
Blu-ray: 1
Live TV: 1
Recorded TV: 0
On Demand: 0
Internet Download: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:46 PM   #32
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The 1982 version is about 10,000 times better than the 2011 one.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:36 PM   #33
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Playback - Netflix Instant
Parenthood (1989) - DVD
Young Adult - Netflix Instant
Django (1966) - free admission
Django Unchained (2012) - free admission
Housesitter - DVD
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - YouTube
The Sting - free admission
This is 40 - free admission

My roommates have internet hooked up to the tv, and I was able to find the original TCM online the other night. Was curious, since I'd never seen it, the new movie for the franchise is a direct sequel, and Blockbuster didn't have any in-store copies to rent.

And I certainly wasn't goin' to buy it, ya know.

It was creepy, and gross, and very '70s. No plan to go out of my way to see the sequels, reboots, remakes & prequels, but I'll go see the latest one, since its playin' where I work.

Speakin' of...

Went to my movie theater to see The Sting with Paul Newman & Robert Redford. I enjoyed that movie quite a bit. It was a fun one. And it raises the movies with Robert Shaw that I've seen up to three - Jaws, The Taking of Pelham 123 and this.

Afterwards, my friend Maeby came out, and we saw This is 40 which, like previous Apatow movies, was tragically funny. I think Maeby laughed more than I did because she has a husband and kids, and said afterwards that that sort of stuff happens in her house, too.

I just thought Seth Rogan and Katherine Heigl's absence from the movie (other than a name drop & a photoshop pic) were too noticiable, especially at a large gatherin' that included the couple's employees/coworkers and the wife's physical trainer.

Debatin' on goin' to see Parental Guidance today, since its the last day to see it for me to see it for free.

And Zero Dark Thirty & Gangster Squad open tonight at ten!
Old January 10 2013, 04:16 PM   #34
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The 2013 list:
1. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas: C-
2. Les Miserables(2012): B
3. Lincoln: A+
4. Parental Guidance: C+

As a fan of Billy Crystal and some extent Marisa Tomei I decided to catch this comedy even though it screamed "wait for DVD". I should've listened more to that inner voice.

The situations forcibly created to ensure Crystal's character(Artie) does something silly or funny felt very forced. I get the "in character" reason for Artie not being a firmer disciplinarian, his daughter and her husband are into this new age hands off pacifist type child rearing, so Artie is trying to respect that. Meanwhile noting what a failure it actually is as the youngest kid is in fully control of situations when it should be the other way around.

I'm not pro/anti Bette Midler, indifferent I suppose, which is why her story of bonding with her 12yr old grand daughter(Harper) seems to come across as the best side of the story. The 12yr old isn't a discipline problem for starters. Here the conflict is on Tomei's mother role(Alice) being perhaps seen as pushing her towards something(violin perfection).

This was one of those movies also where you see an actor and go "where have I seen this person". Harper's best friend finally clicked near the end of the movie. The actress is Madison Lentz(I had to look her name up afterwards) and was the girl on Walking Dead
Not being that prominent anyway nor being chased by zombies took me most of the film to place her.

It's a cute film, one easily watched while you could do other things. Wait for DVD for sure. At least it's done well at the theater though.

As a sidebar Oscar Noms were announced.
Lincoln leads nominations with 12 including BP, Dir, Actor, Actress, Supporting actor.
Life of Pi took 11 nominations.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 07:07 AM   #35
od0_ital
Admiral

Playback - Netflix Instant
Parenthood (1989) - DVD
Young Adult - Netflix Instant
Django (1966) - free admission
Django Unchained (2012) - free admission
Housesitter - DVD
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - YouTube
The Sting - free admission
This is 40 - free admission
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D - free admission
Parental Guidance - free admission

Went in for my second viewin' of The Hobbit. I'm countin' it, though, since I saw it in 3D this time, and I saw it in 2D last time.

I'll be goin' to see the HFR soon...

Followed that up with PG, just 'cause I could. It wasn't a good movie, at all. Everything about it was forced and unfunny. I like Billy Crystal, and I would love to see him in a good movie one more time before he dies.
Old January 11 2013, 07:55 AM   #36
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+

Well, I think I found 2012's version of Tree of life, the movie the critics all praise but I just didn't get it. Beasts of the Southern Wild is an amazing film to look at, but I couldn't get into the narrative at all. Hell, it almost didn't seem like the Narrative flowed all that well, what with cutting to the boars who I thought represented Hushpuppy's journey until they showed up at the end, to that whole thing in that club. Was that scene really needed? Did it show what Hushpuppy was trying to fantasize about her mother? I don't know and I didn't think the movie knew either.

However, the reason I'm giving this movie was C+ was because it was a beautiful film to look at. I really liked following the movie through the innocent eyes of a child, and I will say that Quallis's nomination was deserving. She did a great job. Also, I'm not sure if this film was nominated for best score, but man what a score they had. I even watched the end credits because of that music. That was some epic music. Overall, decent movie that was held back because of the un-flowing narrative.

Theater: 0
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 2
Itunes: 1 (+1)
Old January 11 2013, 04:23 PM   #37
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The 2013 list:
1. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas: C-
2. Les Miserables(2012): B
3. Lincoln: A+
4. Parental Guidance: C+
5. Warm Bodies: B

I admit I may be grading this on a curve. I got free sneak passes via my Regal Rewards Member Card. I had extremely low expectations going into this. A zombie/comedy/romance film released on the heels of a new Texas Chainsaw film(that did well) screams just being released due to contractual obligation.

John Malkovich is the biggest name but he's got a small supporting role. The lead is Nicholas Hoult(Beast, XM:FC) and Teresa Palmer(I Am #4). Rob Corddry may be known to some.

It sets it's own zombie rules. Our main character 'R'(Hoult) can think and remember some things, other things he can't. They are mostly slow zombies but when the story dictates it they become faster, slow jog, zombies. The zombie state in this story seems to be an intermediate condition. You can devolve into what is called a bony/skeleton. The zombie's think of them as bony, the humans call them skeletons but to a human both are no longer salvageable.

It's not elaborated on but something is triggered in 'R'(love?) when he sees Julie(Palmer), even before he eats her ex-boyfriends brains. This starts into motion the revelation that the zombies can be saved and regain their humanity.

A solid fun renter for sure. I don't recommend that it's worth matinee price even($8.50 here) cause there is no great f/x, cinematography or action scenes. The crowd all seemed to enjoy it as well.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:45 PM   #38
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ I've made note of it and I'll have to get it when it's out on home video. It looks like a fun movie with a novel twist on the zombie genre.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Well, I think I found 2012's version of Tree of life, the movie the critics all praise but I just didn't get it. Beasts of the Southern Wild is an amazing film to look at, but I couldn't get into the narrative at all. Hell, it almost didn't seem like the Narrative flowed all that well, what with cutting to the boars who I thought represented Hushpuppy's journey until they showed up at the end, to that whole thing in that club. Was that scene really needed? Did it show what Hushpuppy was trying to fantasize about her mother? I don't know and I didn't think the movie knew either.

However, the reason I'm giving this movie was C+ was because it was a beautiful film to look at. I really liked following the movie through the innocent eyes of a child, and I will say that Quallis's nomination was deserving. She did a great job. Also, I'm not sure if this film was nominated for best score, but man what a score they had. I even watched the end credits because of that music. That was some epic music. Overall, decent movie that was held back because of the un-flowing narrative.
I saw this one last year. It was so odd that I didn't know what to make of it. It was the first movie I almost didn't give a grade to. A lot of it is fading from my memory but it had some good lines and I loved the creation bit.
Old January 12 2013, 01:33 AM   #39
Agent Richard07
Retired

5. Zero Dark Thirty (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I decided to check this out to see what all the fuss was about. I found it to be slow and plodding for the first two thirds or so, but it also had a few intense and honest moments that I liked. The last part had my attention. Never thought I'd see what I saw anytime soon in a major motion picture. Then there's Jessica Chastain. She's the "it" girl right now, so it was nice to get a dose of her. I give it a generous 4 out of 5 stars.

Theatre: 1
Live TV: 1
Old January 12 2013, 05:12 AM   #40
od0_ital
Admiral

^

I may be goin' to see ZDT on Sunday, since it finally opened here in Austin.
Old January 12 2013, 05:57 AM   #41
CaptainCanada
Admiral

6. Hugo (B+)

Continuing my revisiting of 2011, this Martin Scorsese film won 5 Oscars. On second viewing, this is a very odd duck in a lot of ways. The author of the book it's based on has admitted he structured the movie around telling the stories of George Melies, and that's clearly what attracted Scorsese to the project. The result is a "kids movie for adults", with various pros and cons. It's suffused with nostaglia for early filmmaking, and does a great job of making it look cool (I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if this ended up being cited as an inspiration by up-and-coming directors 20-30 years down the line), and there are a number of quite affecting dramatic moments. At the same time, the plot is rather meandering for a two-hour movie, and it feels like it's straining to have any kind of jeopardy in the climax. All those technical Oscars were well-deserved, because it looks fantastic. It's actually encouraging, on one level, to see a children's movie trusting kids can find this stuff engaging, but the pacing could have used a bit of fine-tuning.

Cinema: 2
Home Video: 4 (+2)
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 07:12 AM   #42
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A

I've been wanting to see this movie for a long while and I'm glad I was finally able to today. Man was this film intense. Yeah there were some spots where the movie was slow and I looked at the clock a few times, but there were more moments that made this film incredible to watch, and then we got to the actually hunt and kill of Bin Laden, which just rose the stakes. With this, The Help, and Take Shelter, I'm starting to really really like Jessica Chastain. She was great in her dialog, but she was incredible just acting with no dialog. She has scenes where she is writing a number on the glass and keeps doing it and it just says so much about her feeling in that moment. I have a feeling it's a two horse race between her and Jennifer Lawrence (Two actresses I really like) for best actress. I think Chastain was better, but a Lawrence win would not bother me either.

Great film and a good runner for top 5 films of the year.

Theater: 1 (+1)
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 2
Itunes: 1
Old January 13 2013, 12:49 AM   #43
CaptainCanada
Admiral

7. Zero Dark Thirty (A)

Kathryn Bigelow's followup to her Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker is a superior film in pretty much all respects, in my opinion. In a sense I'd be almost as interested in the story of how this movie got made. To start off developing a movie about the Tora Bora operations, and then to completely switch gears midway through to cover Operation Neptune Spear, ferretting out the information necessary for that along the way, is a major feat on the part of Bigelow and her collaborator Mark Boal.

The movie shares a couple of minor castmembers (most notably Kyle Chandler) with Argo, the year's other Oscar-nominated (and snubbed) CIA drama. This movie has a far more compelling lead character, despite having much less backstory -- Jessica Chastain delivers some of her best work. It was also fun seeing Chris Pratt in a dramatic role again (I first encountered him on Everwood, before he became known to most for Parks and Recreation).

Cinema: 3 (+1)
Home Video: 4
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:01 AM   #44
Agent Richard07
Retired

6. Django Unchained (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - I wasn't as blown away as everyone else was. Seeing a blaxploitation western with clever moments was fun, but it was slow at times and not as stylized as what I'm accustomed to from Tarantino.

7. Inglourious Basterds (✩✩✩) - Live TV - Finally saw this. Two new Tarantino movies in one day. It hooked me right away, but my attention was tenuous for most of the movie until the ending got me back. The story idea was a good one and Tarantino's exploitation style was there, but it was a little too flat. I'm also docking half a star for the subtitles. I don't like them and I didn't like that much of the movie had them. On a more positive note though, Christoph Waltz was a real standout. His character was a fascinating one. A very astute B.S. detector who could make people (and the viewer) uncomfortable with his ability to get too close to the truth. I can see how this got him some attention and launched his english movie career.

p.s. I have The Green Hornet on as I'm writing this. It's the third movie I've seen today with Waltz. He's really lucked out with some fun characters.

Theatre: 2
Live TV: 2
Old January 13 2013, 07:05 AM   #45
Agent Richard07
Retired

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
07 Geese a Laying wrote: View Post
Django: This may be the best Tarantino movie for me since Pulp Fiction.
Better than Kill Bill?
IMO at least.

I'd rank my favs like this:
  1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Django Unchained
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  4. Inglorious Basterds
  5. Kill Bill 1&2
  6. Jackie Brown
I don't have an order but Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction are at the top of my list.

I've not gotten around to Death Proof or Grindhouse, something I need to rectify.
I haven't seen the Grindhouse movies either, mainly because I want the full Grindhouse double bill, but last I checked, it wasn't available. I regret not seeing in the theatre, but I didn't know I'd be missing out on home video.