Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 16 2013, 07:27 AM   #421
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox - DVD
Before Sunrise - Encore on Demand
The Way, Way Back - free admission
Turbo 2D - free admission
The Smurfs 2 3D - free admission
The Sitter - HBO on Demand
Mean Girls - Showtime on Demand
Carnage - Starz on Demand
Ghost Story of Yotsuya- free admission
Ghost Cat of Otama Pond- free admission
Trainspotting - free admission
Charlie Bartlett - Netflix Instant
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - DVD
The Chronicles of Riddick - bluray
The Canyons - free admission
The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut - bluray
The Act of Killing - free admission
Flesh Pier - free admission
The Horizon Glitters - free admission
Adjust Your Tracking - free admission
Planes 2D - free admission
2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Kick-Ass 2 - free admission

I was able to get into the first showin' of Kick-Ass 2 earlier tonight with my buddy Christopher.

Pretty good movie with an interestin' continuation of what started in the first movie, especially Jim Carrey's "Colonel Stars & Stripes," a born-again Christian hero who used to be a mob enforcer. The fight sequences were well staged and easy to follow. Dark, twisted humor. And the shadow of Nicolas Cage's "Big Daddy" was used throughout the film.

If ya go see it, stay through the end credits for a bonus scene!
Old August 16 2013, 04:40 PM   #422
Lonemagpie
Writer

A rare visit to the cinema last night to see The World's End, which was great! Simon Pegg seems to have stolen Jim Swallow's beard and my wardrobe, and Martin Freeman is ever more obviously playing Martin Freeman in everything - seriously, the guy is a bit like Roger Moore that way - and the story could have been a Dr Who episode with swearing, but that latter especially is a good thing, and overall we loved it!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:01 AM   #423
Agent Richard07
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
DF was a little better in that it was a lot shorter, and the animation wasn't too bad. Even though its only thirty-five minutes long, I'm countin' it, since it got its own DVD release, and was included in the set as a separate disc, not a bonus feature.
I still have to watch that.

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Watched both the theatrical & extended versions of the sequel. Both are CGI messes of movies, and I think maybe the effects had been toned down, the story wouldn't have suffered. And I do think its funny that the extended cut introduces a character that wasn't even in the theatrical version, but helps out quite a bit with the Riddick character development.
I wouldn't mind checking out the extended version and I didn't mind the fx. I liked the world-building and the lavish look it gave us.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 01:10 AM   #424
Agent Richard07
Admiral

139. Limitless (Unrated Extended Cut) (✩✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - I saw this movie in the theatre, but I'm reviewing it now because I have the unrated extended cut on blu-ray. I'm told that there are several additions here and there, but the only thing that stood out was an extra sex scene that I don't believe was in the theatrical cut. There was also an alternate ending. Anyway, as someone who's always been fascinated with the development of the mind, I loved this movie. And what I especially loved was that it's not a cliched story about the pitfalls of gaining power. If you haven't seen it, do so.

140. Charly (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - A 1968 movie based on the novel Flowers for Algernon about a mentally and emotionally arrested man who volunteers to undergo an experimental treatment that makes him smarter. Stars Cliff Robertson. After watching the movie, I read that Robertson got an academy award for best actor for this part and I think he deserved it. His progression from slow child-like man to genius was well performed. Another thing I liked about the movie was how it presented sexuality. With a lead actress (Claire Bloom) who was attractive, the right shots and some creative montage work, it got its point across in a wink-wink, nudge, nidge manner quite well. Apparently Robertson wrote a sequel, but that never got made. As for the title, I wonder if it's supposed to be a misspelling of "Charlie". The character's name in the credits does read "Charly", but I still wonder.

141. Flowers for Algernon (✩✩✩½) - Download - A 2000 TV movie remake of Charly starring Matthew Modine. A great job by Modine, but as a TV movie, it's pretty sentimental and sanitized. Still, it's a nice compliment to Charly. If you're wondering who Algernon is, it's the experimental mouse that became Charlie's friend.

What did I learn from these three movies? That getting smarter also gets you laid.

Also, here's a fun fact… Matthew Modine and Cliff Robertson were in a movie together called Wind.

142. Wind (✩✩✩½) - Netflix - The epic 1992 Matthew Modine vehicle about sailing. Also starred Jennifer Grey. It tried to be grand and intense and it showed. Not great, but not bad either. I don't have much else to say about it, I just felt like watching it after Charly and Flowers for Algernon.

143. Kick-Ass 2 (✩✩✩½) - Theatre - My review is here. Chloe Moretz stole the show and Christopher Mintz-Plasse was fantastic. Those two are reasons to watch the movie.

Theatre: 22
Blu-ray: 10
DVD: 21
Netflix: 4
Live TV: 17
Download: 66
YouTube: 3

Last edited by Agent Richard07; August 17 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:14 AM   #425
CaptainCanada
Admiral

55. Kick-Ass 2 (B)

This has gotten pilloried on Rotten Tomatoes, but this is a rare instance where I disagree. It does have tonal issues, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson is really not charismatic enough to be a film lead, but it's highly watchable, and Chloe Moretz is terrific (reprising the part that first brought her notice).

Cinema: 17 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 04:20 AM   #426
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

69. Proof of Life: B-
70. The Conjuring: B
71. Pacific Rim: B-
72. Alone in the Dark: D
73. Apocalypto: A

I found this to be well told, with some nice cinematography and I barely noticed it was subtitled. The emotional resonance of all actors involved conveyed with the addition of facial and body language a well paced and tense story about the closing days of the Mayan civilization, outlying tribes and introduction of European explorers. Glad I stuck with this cause the first time Netflix delivered it the disc was unplayable. Mel Gibson may have shown his ass the last few years but professionally he still delivered a well done movie here.

Next up: The two Stargate SG-1 tele films to wrap up my viewing of the saga.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 07:36 AM   #427
Konata Izumi
Commander

✩Legion [2010]
✩Hypnotisören

✩✩Predator 2
✩✩The Mummy [1999]
✩✩Manderlay
✩✩The Hills Have Eyes 2
✩✩Revolution [2009]
✩✩Resident Evil: Afterlife
✩✩The Last Stand [2013]
✩✩A Good Day to Die Hard
✩✩8-pallo
✩✩Olympus Has Fallen
✩✩Iron Man 3
✩✩Fast & Furious 6
✩✩The Hangover Part III
✩✩Man of Steel
✩✩The Wolverine

✩✩✩The Beast of Yucca Flats
✩✩✩Epidemic
✩✩✩Robocop 3
✩✩✩Idioterne
✩✩✩Direktøren for det hele
✩✩✩Shrink
✩✩✩Valhalla Rising
✩✩✩Melancholia
✩✩✩Vuosaari
✩✩✩Jagten
✩✩✩Cloud Atlas
✩✩✩Life of Pi
✩✩✩To the Wonder
✩✩✩G.I. Joe: Retaliation
✩✩✩Oblivion [2013]
✩✩✩Star Trek Into Darkness
✩✩✩The Lone Ranger
✩✩✩Pain & Gain

✩✩✩✩Dogville
✩✩✩✩Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo
✩✩✩✩Django Unchained
✩✩✩✩Pacific Rim
✩✩✩✩Elysium

✩✩✩✩✩Freddy Got Fingered
✩✩✩✩✩Reflections of Evil [shorter cut]
✩✩✩✩✩Love Exposure
✩✩✩✩✩Antichrist
✩✩✩✩✩A Serbian Film
✩✩✩✩✩Only God Forgives

dunno
Shadow of a Doubt
Rope
Vertigo
Winter Kills
Alien
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Men Behind the Sun
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Europa
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Lost Highway
Love & Pop
The Prestige
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Master [2012]
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2013, 09:50 PM   #428
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Ben Hur (1959) ★★★★ - One of my top 10 favorite movies now. Just an outstanding masterpiece

The Island ★★ - Too long, too Michael Bayish

Death on the Diamond ★★★ - Corny, but still enjoyable. It's about a Cardinals pitcher who tries to solve a series of murders (and still get the girl)
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 11:56 AM   #429
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

23) Air Force One - A-
24) MASH - B+

25) Airplane! - B+
26) The Island - B

It had a decent idea, who doesn't love a good dystopia?

But it falls flat on it's face by not exploring the idea of what Sean Bean is doing? There's no talk about how someone could be unique or how the clone could be a person in itself (Yes, the clones do ask that, but they think they are supposed to be alive from conception) Instead we get a bunch of action scenes where McGregor and Johansson magically escape every single time they should be dead (like falling one hundred stories off the face of a building). And why exactly does she follow him out in the first place? Add in some jittery camera shooting and you've taken an idea that could say something profound about the human existence and turned it into an action plot.

The actors do well with what they are given. McGregor and Johannson do well as the clones that somehow figure it all out. I have only seen Djimon Hounsou in Blood Diamond, so I kept waiting for him to start shouting "Where Is The Diamond!" at any moment. Ethan Phillips shows up, basically playing Neelix without make-up.

This one only gets a B, because spending the action sequences wishing I was getting a more intellectual movie was exhausting.
Old August 19 2013, 02:52 PM   #430
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Kick Ass 2
Old August 19 2013, 04:09 PM   #431
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Oblivion - on Demand - Going into the movie I was aware of the major spoiler, I wanted to see how it played out. They decided to go fully Duncan Idaho Ghola on us. I liked the movie but it was like eating rice puffs, it fills you up but doesn't satisfy. There is a disconnect somewhere with Joseph Kosinski direction. Both with Tron Legacy and Oblivion, they were pretty to watch, have amazing world building, good actors, yet the final product lacks any heart. I think he is an incredibly talented director, that has made two good (average) movies.

Sand Pebbles - AMC - What an incredible movie, so rich and textured. The color and framing of shots, just majestic. I have seen bits and pieces of this before but this was the first time I got to see it as a whole. The movie was riveting from beginning to end. Excellent performances from Richard Crenna as the Captain slipping into madness, Steve McQueen as the anxious ships engineer and Richard Attenborough as love lorn Frenchy.

Disney Planes - Movie Theater - Was able to take my two boys, 4 & 3 year olds to see Disney's latest from the world of Cars. For my younger son, this was his first trip to a movie theater. Seeing how my older sons first trip to a movie theater was with Cars 2, very nice symmetry going on. My boys are unabashed Cars lovers, they have almost every toy. Even before going to see Planes, they already had several of the characters toys already. So for them, this was a hit. They were talking about it after for hours, they played with their Planes toys and everything was right with the world for them. For me, not so much. While I talked about there being no heart in Oblivion, it goes double for Planes. This is a mash up of Cars 1 & 2, it was like they didn't even try. These are paint by number characters, that have no real depth. There is no real point to the story and no real character development beyond some lip service. I love Cars, I have watched or half watched it with my boys hundred of times. I love the simple take on the true nature of friendship and finding yourself. It teaches a good life lesson without banging you of the head with it. I don't enjoy Cars 2 as much as Cars 1 because I thought it was a lost opportunity, with the passing of Paul Newman. They could have really explored the meaning of loss and being lost and finding yourself again done in the same sweet way as Cars 1. In Cars 2 we got a makeshift environmental trope that didn't go anywhere and a ham-handed fish out of water story, oh and the nature of friendship. Overall Planes was mediocre at best, probably should have stayed a Direct to DVD offering. I know I will be watching this a lot once it hits Blu-Ray, so I have that to look forward to...not.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 01:51 PM   #432
od0_ital
Admiral

2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia - free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission

I went over to the Ritz Sunday with a plan to see four movies, but wound up sittin' through just the first one. FEP was the Karen Black memorial screenin', and the movie was just so damn slow, I couldn't stay awake for it.

When it ended, my whole mood was kinda ruined, so I turned in my three other tickets so they could be sold to payin' customers, and left.

Did a four-movie marathon at the new Lakeline location yesterday.

The Percy Jackson sequel (the 275th "new to me" movie of the year) was alright, not great. Nathan Fillion's role is almost completely in the trailer, which kinda sucked, and Anthony Stewart Head takes over for Pierce Brosnan. Stanley Tucci got a couple of good lines...and while I imagine a couple of the sequences would look pretty cool in 3D, I'm glad the Drafthouse didn't have it as an option, since the bulk of the climax takes place at night, or in a cave, which would be really, really dark with the glasses on.

Ashton Kutcher did a really good job as Steve Jobs in the biopic that focusses on the foundin' of Apple Computers in the late '70s/early '80s. And while it tells you a lot about the business, there seems to be very little about the man.

I still can't figure out how ya such a great roster of genre actors in a movie and it still be duller than dirty dishwater...Paranoia sucked all kinds of ass.

And the last one of the night was the "based on a true story" The Butler. Oscar bait, obviously, and it completely glossed over service durin' the Ford & Carter administrations, since there didn't seem to be a way to tie it in with the civil rights movement/actions of the butler's oldest son, who went from pacifist to Black Panther in just over a decade. Forest Whitaker carries the movie through the decades, and the supportin' cast was really good, too, though aside from John Cusack's Nixon & James Marsden's JFK, seems to me that most every other president was a cameo.

Still gotta see We're the Millers & Blue Jasmine in the next couple of days, before this weekend's big releases open on Thursday night.

- edit, to add -

Came into work early to see a couple of movies this afternoon.

WtM was actually pretty funny, enjoyed it quite a bit. And the bloopers at the end were good, too.

BJ wasn't as good, but still an interestin' look at a woman who changes the details of her life to suit what she wants it to be instead of what it actually is....yeah. Good movie, but the stoner-ish comedy was better.

Last edited by od0_ital; August 21 2013 at 12:56 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2013, 09:09 PM   #433
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Initial D: Drift Racer (7)
Phantom (2013) (8)

Current Total: 60
Old August 23 2013, 03:51 AM   #434
CaptainCanada
Admiral

56. Before Midnight (A+)

I've seen some entertaining movies this year, but in truth, 2013 pales in comparison to 2012 so far. Before Midnight is the first great film of the year. Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke return to the characters they know so intimately, and deliver what feels like the perfectly logical followup to the relationship we saw in the previous two movies. They vary things up a bit here: the film doesn't have a ticking clock, and features a reasonable amount of Jesse and Celine interacting with other characters, which never happened in the first two.

Cinema: 18 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2013, 09:02 PM   #435
od0_ital
Admiral

2 Guns - free admission
Elysium - free admission
Five Easy Pieces - free admission
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 2D - free admission
Jobs - free admission
Paranoia- free admission
Lee Daniels' The Butler - free admission
We're the Millers - free admission
Blue Jasmine - free admission
Clear History - HBO
The Apparition - HBO

Hung out at the motel yesterday, watched a couple of movies on HBO and napped a lot.

Clear History was about a guy (Larry David) who ridicules the idea of an electric car model named "the Howard" and refuses to be a part of its marketin'. So, he resigns...and the Howard becomes a huge success and David's character changes his name and hides out in Martha's Vineyard for a decade. When the creator of the Howard (Jon Hamm) comes to M'sV, David begins to plot his revenge.

Really good cast that included Eve Mendes, Michael Keaton, and Kate Hudson, but the movie was off the wall stupid, especially Larry David's rants, which reminded me of why I don't like Seinfeld and never watched his series on HBO.

Followed that up with The Apparition, which suggests that if ya don't believe in ghosts, you can't be hurt by ghosts, even if the ghosts are doin' everything they can to make ya believe in 'em so they can kill ya and stuff.

Terrible freakin' movie.

And if ya watch the trailer, they include the last scene of the movie in it, which makes no sense at all.