Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 14 2013, 10:40 PM   #376
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

The Full List:

Updates:
Pacific Rim (8)

Pretty darn good but there were some plot holes you could pilot a Jagger through. As a serious mecha fan I still approve though.

Current Total: 52
Old July 15 2013, 11:02 AM   #377
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Downloaded - free admission
This is the End - free admission
Much Ado About Nothing (2013) - free admission
The Lone Ranger (2013) - free admission
Despicable Me 2 3D - free admission
The Man Who Wasn't There - matinee
Super - Netflix Instant
Dead Like Me: Life After Death - Netflix Instant
Johnny Carson: King of Late Night - NEtflix Instant
Yankee Doodle Dandy - free admission
Playing for Keeps - Netflix Instant
Monsters University 2D - free admission
World War Z 2D/3D - free admission/free admission
Tower Heist - DVD
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days - HBO on Demand
Richard Pryor: Omit the Logic - Showtime on Demand
Puss in Boots - HBO on Demand
Crazy on the Outside - Netflix Instant
Pacific Rim 2D - free admission
Grown Ups 2 - free admission
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) - Netflix Instant

Found TH in the Wal-Mart bargain bin last week, watched it the other day. It was alright, not great. And its brought down by a WTF?!? endin' that couldn't have even been saved by either of the alternate endings available on DVD.

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy wasn't awful, and Alan Alda is still awesome.

Watched the "Wimpy Kid" sequel because my nephews like 'em. Too bad it doesn't have much of an endin', either...it just kinda stops.

Followed that with a Richard Pryor documentary, which was pretty informative about the late comedian's life & career.

PiB was pretty entertainin', not quite as immersed in fairy tales as the Shrek movies, though Puss, Humpty Dumpty & magic beans are central parts of the movie.

CotO is a film starrin & directed by Tim Allen about an ex con dealin' with life, family and friends after spendin' a few years in prison. Sigourney Weaver, JK Simmons, Kelsey Grammer & Ray Liotta are in it, as well. I thought it was alright.

A friend came out to see PR 2D with me the other night after work. I enjoyed it quite a bit, lookin' forward to goin' to see it in 3D soon. For those who haven't seen it, stick around for a midcredit bonus scene.

Watched GU2 before work yesterday. What an awful movie that was...the openin' joke is all about a wild deer pissin' on Adam Sandler while the closin' joke is a celebration of bein' able to burp, sneeze & fart at the same time. I haven't seen the first GU movie, and this didn't make me want to see it at all.

Watchin' Disney's THoND via Netflix Instant now, since I can't sleep...
Old July 17 2013, 08:44 PM   #378
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

62. The Lone Ranger: C+
63. Godfather pt.II: A+
64. Godfather pt.III: B
65. Beyond Sherwood Forest: D
66. R.E.D. 2: B-

Beyond Sherwood Forest- At first I thought this was going to be a type of film that "picks up" after the events we know and spin a type of "untold" tale. Instead it just uses the characters, within the setting and throws in dragons and a link to dark realm deep in the forest. A DDVD release in '09 the only name you'd know is Erica Durance, she is Marion. However, while watching I noticed Friar Tuck is played by Bill Dow(Dr.Lee) of Stargate SG-1. It's a passable 1.5hr with choreography that is laughable and some f/x on the dragon that don't aide in the suspension of disbelief.

R.E.D. 2 - attended a free screening last night and the crowd was really into it. Since this isn't a spoiler area I'll generalize and say I thought the first act was a bit choppy. Perhaps necessary to set up all the players, still once that's done I felt it came together from there on out. My other issue would be the Sarah Ross character played by Mary Louise Parker. She got pulled into the first one and was cute and funny in a situation she never expected. Here she tags along and feels out of place + is an operations risk.
Malkovich, Willis, Mirren and Byung Hung-Lee are great along with Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins. Hopkins and Mirren have a number of great moments. Byung Hung-Lee finishes out a three person exchange that got a big laugh around the start of the third act.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:20 AM   #379
Konata Izumi
Commander

For now, just movies seen first this year.

10/10

9/10

8/10

7/10

6/10

5/10

4/10

3/10

2/10

1/10

0/10

Last edited by Konata Izumi; July 19 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:56 AM   #380
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Sound of my Voice - HBO go on Apple TV - This is the first movie I have watched with HBO go since it being added to the Apple TV. I saw the other movie by the pair who wrote this, Another Earth. I liked that movie, so when I fired up HBO go this evening, I was very excited to see this as one of the moves available. I'm kind of lost where to start with the movie, so I guess I'll start with this, I liked the movie a lot. I compared Another Earth to Primer in feel, and I think that description works equally here. It's a fairly complicated story about a woman possibly from the future and dealing with a cult like following. Excellent performances all around, especially from the lead Christopher Denham who plays Peter. I really like his turn as a skeptical, wanna be investigative film maker/journalist into a quasi, almost believer. It's subtlety at its best and very nuanced.

After watching the movie, I felt I needed to watch it again immediately. I'm sure I missed some stuff, because of multi tasking. (Surfing the Internet while watching) I also read on IMDB that this was supposedly the first in a trilogy of movies. I felt that to be true, I feel like there are more stories to be told here. For most of the movie they keep you guessing about the authenticity of Maggie, the supposed time traveler. There are enough clues along the way to question everything. I do this I need to watch this again, not watch it distracted and to try and pick up on more. Without any forth coming additional movies and supposedly the writers not wanting to explain anything, we're left will trying to decipher this one.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 02:46 PM   #381
od0_ital
Admiral

Super - Netflix Instant
Tower Heist - DVD
Mulan - Netflix Instant
Hercules (1997) - Netflix Instant

After finishin' Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame the other day, I went ahead with two more Disney movies, Mulan & Hercules.

I thought the first was a sweet story, with some good jokes from Eddie Murphy's dragon.

The second was alright, but the pop culture references were a bit too much. "But I'm an action figure!" James Woods was fun as Hades, though.

Got a plan to see The Conjuring and R.I.P.D. today, and Red 2 tomorrow....
Old July 20 2013, 04:51 AM   #382
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
RED 2 (10)

Current Total: 53
Old July 20 2013, 04:09 PM   #383
CaptainCanada
Admiral

49. Apocalypse Now (B)

Francis Ford Coppola goes deep into the jungle, sacrificing several years of his time, and a good portion of his sanity in the process (indeed, if you look at Coppola's subsequent output, it's easy to speculate that Coppola ultimately burned himself out on this movie in a very lasting way).

Most of this film is of pretty high quality. The helicopter attack sequence is deservedly iconic. The movie's cinematography is superb. But then we actually get to Colonel Kurtz's compound, and this sequence pretty much derails the movie. As Hearts of Darkness makes painfully clear, Coppola started making this movie with no plan on how to end it, and it shows -- indeed, once you know that Kurtz's characterization is basically just a lazy Marlon Brando ab libbing for the camera in the hopes Coppola can cobble something together, things make much more sense. Kurtz doesn't remotely fit the buildup he's been given, and the ending is enormously anti-climactic.

50. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (A-)

I would have to agree with Abed: the documentary is much better than Apocalypse Now.

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 34 (+2)
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2013, 06:50 PM   #384
od0_ital
Admiral

Super - Netflix Instant
Tower Heist - DVD
Mulan - Netflix Instant
The Conjuring - free admission
R.I.P.D. 3D - free admission
Red 2 - free admission
Drive - Netflix Instant
Only God Forgives - free admission

Went out Friday mornin' to see a couple of movies...

First, The Conjuring, which the trailer makes it look like a faux documentary or something with the interview clips. Those clips aren't in the movie. The first scare of the movie is in the trailer, and if that weren't bad enough, its given away by a bit of audio in the movie itself.

...ugh...

Followed that up with R.I.P.D. in 3D...totally not worth the extra cost for those who have to pay it.

Came in to work early yesterday for Red 2. The first one was better...

Watched Drive last night. Interestin' to see Albert Brooks as a bad guy.

Came into work early today to see Only God Forgives. I wasn't that impressed.
Old July 22 2013, 03:48 AM   #385
CaptainCanada
Admiral

51. The Sapphires (B)

Sort of like Dreamgirls, but with Australian Aborigines. The movie even has a parallel to Jennifer Hudson, as one of the Sapphires is played by Jessica Mauboy, who was one of the contestants on Australian Idol mid-decade (she's very good).

The movie is largely pitched as a light comedy, but it has some pretty heavy stuff mixed in, and the mix isn't always even. The seriousness isn't unwarranted, given that being an Aborigine wasn't exactly easy in the 1960s (or now, I imagine). But when you go from fairly zippy banter to one of the Sapphires grappling with reintegrating into Aboriginal culture after being snatched away by the Australian government as a child because she was light-skinned enough to 'integrate' with a white family, it's a bit jarring.

Cinema: 13 (+1)
Home Video: 34
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 05:40 PM   #386
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Equinox ★
The Blob ★★★
Rendez-vous ★★★
Pacific Rim ★★★★
The Great Gatsby ★★★1/2
Tremors ★★★
Before Midnight ★★★★
Room 237 ★★★
Scary MoVie ★
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 06:23 PM   #387
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Despicable Me 2
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Iron Man 3
Oblivion
The Great Gatsby
R.I.P.D.
Old July 25 2013, 09:08 PM   #388
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

63. Godfather pt.II: A+
64. Godfather pt.III: B
65. Beyond Sherwood Forest: D
66. R.E.D. 2: B-
67. La Captive: C- (French Film)

From 2000, a Cannes Film Festival Selection is a story about a dysfunctional couple and their love that goes tragic. I was expecting there to be more drama and emotion in this film than what it has. Which really isn't much.
An early-mid 20yr old couple is living together with the young man's grandmother, who is quite well off financially. He has taken to being her guardian. He also has an acute sensitivity to pollen and allergens. His girlfriend it seems is also not entirely truthful about her day trips with her friends causing strain on their relationship. The title of the film easily translates as The Captive, I came to think Prisoner might've made more sense. As the young man could be seen as a prisoner to his grandmothers needs for care. A prisoner to his allergies, keeping him inside rather frequently AND due to the level of familiarity stuck being a prisoner in a relationship where love seems to have fled.

The film has many moments of framed sequences where he is roaming the house, looking out windows, dressing and looking very melancholy. When his girlfriend returns home she gives off the same vibe and a sense of love is not present when they are together.

He decides to call it off at the end. She's going to live with her aunt. On the drive there, they reconcile with her telling him it's only he who feels things are right. She confesses to some lies but says she never betrayed him. It's late so they stop off at a hotel. She decides to take a late night dip in the ocean. She drowns and dies. Film ends with him bringing her body in the next morning on a small row boat with a local.

When I read the write up I expected more sparks and energy in this film and it was very bland actually.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:35 PM   #389
Agent Richard07
Admiral

123. The Sessions (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - A man who can't move due to having had polio as a child decides to lose his virginity by hiring a surrogate. Stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt, Moon Bloodgood and William H. Macy. The sex is very raw but clinical, so don't expect anything titilating. All the big names did well in their roles, but the real breakout was Hawkes who played the disabled, yet upbeat lead.

124. Spring Breakers (✩✩✩✩) - Download - Four girls rob a diner to get some money to go on spring break. Excitement and debauchery ensue and things get even more intense when they meet a drug dealing rapper played to perfection by James Franco. Former Disney stars Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgrns also star. There's also Rachel Korine as one of the girls. She's the wife of Harmony Korine, writer and director of the movie and best known for the 1995 movie Kids. This movie is very much like that… Dark, seedy, almost documentary style with a story that spirals into something depressing but engaging. If you liked Kids and want to see some name actors out of their element, check this out. Other things I liked about the movie are the soundtrack from Skrillex and the promotional material that sensationalizes the cast.

125. Hesher (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - Hesher drives a van, shows up in the house to do his laundry, climbs electrical poles in his underwear to tap into the cable box, plops himself down on the couch to watch TV and eats dinner with the family. He's Billy Bob Thornton from Bad Santa. Find out what happens when he enters the life of a kid who's being beaten up at school while dealing with the loss of his mother and distant father. Hesher lives completely in the moment and Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays thr part well. Natalie Portman is also there and I didn't recognize her at first. Then there's the dad. I couldn't tell if he was played by Zack Galifianakis or Rainn Wilson with a beard. Check this out if you like down and out characters who live on their own terms.

126. Tiny Furniture (✩✩✩) - Netflix - Lena Dunham's independent film version of Girls before Girls came out. Has a few of the same cast members too. It was slow and ponderous in parts but got interesting here and there. It's worth a look if you're a Girls fan. If you're not, skip it.

127. The Wolverine (✩✩✩) - Theatre - More action/drama than superhero movie, which I like, but I didn't think this was a great movie. Not bad, just not great. My review is here.

Theatre: 20
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 2
Live TV: 17
Download: 54
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2013, 04:58 PM   #390
od0_ital
Admiral

Super - Netflix Instant
Tower Heist - DVD
Mulan - Netflix Instant
The Conjuring - free admission
R.I.P.D. 3D - free admission
Red 2 - free admission
Drive - Netflix Instant
Only God Forgives - free admission
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone - free admission
The Wolverine 2D - free admission

Went to Alamo Slaughter for a double feature last night.

First up, the Evangelion movie, which had some technical difficulties. It started without sound or subtitles. Then it stopped & started again, with the English dub. And then it was stopped, with a manager comin' out to apologize & they started it a third time, with the Japanese audio & English subtitles.

Everyone in the nearly sold out theater got a raincheck pass. I gave mine to my friends, so they would have an extra, since I just need my paycheck stub to see stuff for free.

The movie itself was alright, nothin' too excitin', really, considerin' it had giant robots vs monsters. Though I gotta wonder, WTF was up with that penguin?

After that, I applied some skin cream & put on my mask & gloves to get Hulked out to go see The Wolverine 2D with another buddy of mine. I figured it was appropriate, since Wolverine's first comic book appearance was in a Hulk title.

My buddy got a laugh out of it, my co-workers were a bit freaked & amused, no one in the theater seemed to react at all...

I liked the movie a lot more than Origins, for sure. Gonna go see it again in 3D with another friend of mine...

Last edited by od0_ital; July 26 2013 at 05:13 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote