Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 6 2013, 01:22 AM   #361
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Downloaded - free admission
This is the End - free admission
Much Ado About Nothing (2013) - free admission
The Lone Ranger (2013) - free admission
Despicable Me 2 3D - free admission
The Man Who Wasn't There - matinee

That's right, I paid real money to see a movie today, only the second time I've done that this year, too!

The Alamo Drafthouse showed TMWWT in tribute to James Gandolfini, with proceeds goin' to the Central Texas American Heard Association. The Ritz manager was surprised when I told him I wanted to pay for my ticket. He already had the employee sign-in sheet in his hand, ready to hand to me...

I did use my discounts on the tab, though, since those aren't part of the proceeds, just the ticket sales.

The preshow was made up of his Inside the Actor's Studio interview, his Golden Globe win for Best Actor in a Dramatic Role for The Sopranos, and clips from various movie roles includin' The Last Castle, True Romance and The Mexican.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, too. Billy Bob Thorton's narration was amusin', and the story was interestin' enough. I don't see the point of it bein' done in black & white, though.

So, yeah, out of 220 "new to me" movies this year, I've only paid to see 2 in theaters.
Old July 6 2013, 03:18 AM   #362
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Three Criterion movies on Hulu+

House - an entertaining Japanese horror/comedy
Spoorloos (The Vanishing) A Swedish mystery that is a really slow burn
Picnic at Hanging Rock - An Australian missing persons story set in 1900
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 10:54 PM   #363
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness - B+

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+

It was a good Disney flick, but you know at the end everything is going to be okay.

It was great to hear James Coburn's last voice performance and it wasn't a bad movie, it just didn't seem to have anything to it.
Old July 7 2013, 05:34 AM   #364
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

The Lone Ranger (6)

Current Total: 51
Old July 7 2013, 05:40 AM   #365
od0_ital
Admiral

Super - Netflix Instant
Dead Like Me: Life After Death - Netflix Instant
Johnny Carson: King of Late Night - NEtflix Instant
Yankee Doodle Dandy - free admission
Playing for Keeps - Netflix Instant

Well, I had the house to myself last night, and was able to watch a few movies on Netflix.

First up, Super...Nathan Fillion as a Christian television superhero was pretty damn funny. And Ellen Page totally geekin' out about bein' a superhero was awesome.

Followed that with the DLM post-finale movie. I still haven't finished the second season of the series. The movie was still good, though.

Then I watched a PBS documentary about Johnny Carson.

Went over to the Ritz this afternoon for the Broadway Brunch showin' of YDD. Not too bad a musical for bein' over seventy years old.

And now I'm back to watchin' Netflix! PFK is the 225th "new to me" movie of the year.
Old July 7 2013, 03:47 PM   #366
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-

6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

10) Top Gun - C+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+

White House Down is Air Force One without the plane.

I went in expecting a popcorn flick and that's what I got. It's finally a role that Channing Tatum is good in, mainly because all he has to do is run around and shoot.

And when did James Woods get so old? He was a good villain and the way that his mercenaries were assembled was a good idea.

If you're going to the theatre for some mindless entertainment, this is your film.
Old July 9 2013, 05:35 AM   #367
Agent Richard07
Admiral

119. Superman II (The Richard Donner Cut) (✩✩½) - Blu-ray - I finally got around to seeing this and I didn't think it was as good as the original. More comments here.

Theatre: 18
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 1
Live TV: 16
Download: 51
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:12 AM   #368
od0_ital
Admiral

Super - Netflix Instant
Dead Like Me: Life After Death - Netflix Instant
Johnny Carson: King of Late Night - NEtflix Instant
Yankee Doodle Dandy - free admission
Playing for Keeps - Netflix Instant
Monsters University 2D - free admission
World War Z 2D/3D - free admission/free admission

Well, I went out to Lake Creek last Sunday to see a couple of movies, but thanks to a new rule by their general manager, I could only see one. So, I went with MU 2D.

To be honest, I was disappointed. There was stuff from the trailer that I wished had been in the movie, and by the time it was over, I was done with the whole thing. I didn't stay through the credits for the bonus scene, I was so ready to get out of the theater.

I followed that up with a trip to the Village to see WWZ 2D. And that one was so deathly dull, I dozed off a few times. Towards the end, when the flashbacks help Brad Pitt figure everything out, one of 'em was a part of the movie I had dozed through.

I did talk a buddy of mine to see it in 3D yesterday, though. So not worth the upcharge, if ya have to pay to get in. The movie wasn't filmed for the 3D format, and it shows.

My biggest complaint is that they never seem to say what Brad Pitt's character did, or why it was so important to the U.N. to get him involved.

Anyway...

..been watchin' Law & Order: UK on DVD the last few days, and my work schedule for next week sucks in such a way that I may not see anything new all freakin' week, unless I start borrowin' DVDs from my roommates.
Old July 11 2013, 08:49 PM   #369
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

59. Godfather: A
60. World War Z: B
61. Much Ado About Nothing: A-
62. The Lone Ranger: C+
63. Godfather pt.II: A+

Again, watching this trilogy for the first time in almost two decades. I'm honestly not sure I even finished this the first time. At over 4hrs it's long. While re-watching the first much of it came back to me but I was able to appreciate it more. Here, much of it felt new, especially the first few hours. I must've caught it on AMC back in the 90's and missed the beginning, perhaps? A modern classic for a reason.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:05 AM   #370
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

In the Bedroom (re-watch)
Super 8
Edit: Atonement

Last edited by HaventGotALife; July 14 2013 at 03:39 AM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:30 PM   #371
Agent Richard07
Admiral

120. The Host (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I thought this was a great movie. Good story with some interesting and thought-provoking concepts, a fantastic lead actress with Saorise Ronan, another great character played by William Hurt and a visual style that evokes starry nights and warm earth tones. I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that it's from Stephanie Meyer. The movie itself isn't bad. Sure it's got the young romance angle, but it's not front and center.

121. Pacific Rim (✩✩✩✩½) - Theatre - A successful attempt to do an anime-style live action film. I also think of it as Godzilla done right. My review is here.

Theatre: 19
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 1
Live TV: 16
Download: 52
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:29 PM   #372
CaptainCanada
Admiral

46. Lincoln (A-)

The first of two movies watched on my trans-Atlantic flight home a couple of days ago. In this case, a rewatch. The movie holds up fairly well, though it remains a bit bloodless, and the criticisms about how it should have ended shortly before it did are pretty accurate. Day-Lewis' performance remains astonishing.

47. Beautiful Creatures (C-)

I'm not entirely sure why I decided to watch this -- I guess to take a look at the Twilight film knockoffs. I knew of this series from previous discussions with one of my friends who works in a bookstore's YA section. She wasn't a fan, and I can see why. The special effects here didn't look great, though that may have been the screen I was watching it on.

In any event, this is kind of the liberal answer to Twilight in many respects: Stephenie Meyer has gotten flack for covert Mormon propaganda about abstinence, etc.; this film is pretty overt in criticizing small-town rural Southern culture. Despite the fact that I agree with much of the critique in theory, the effect of this is a bit off-putting, because neither the authors, nor the director, nor the main actors are from the South, nor have any experience with it; and while I don't subscribe to the idea that that's a prerequisite to write about something, in this case there's a strong flavour of inauthenticity here, like this is a Southern town imagined by people who clearly haven't any experience with one, and don't accord much dimension to their depictions of it.

It also doesn't help that the movie is rather hypocritical, in that it's very contemptuous of conservative Christianity, but at the same time the central conceit of its mythos is that at age 16 female witches (or 'casters') either turn evil or stay good, based on what feels like completely arbitrary "true nature" -- like the female lead's cousin, whose turning evil immediately leads to acting like a vamp. And we're explicitly told that male casters don't have this, and can choose to be good or evil. There's some halfhearted attempt to get away from this Madonna/Whore stuff at the end, but it's muddled. Not to mention, the film's depiction of the witches' dilemma depicts evil like flipping a switch on or off.

For all that, the movie isn't without its better points. Principally, the leads, who have decent chemistry. Alice Englert (Jane Campion's daughter) is very likeable as the female lead, Lena.

Cinema: 11
Home Video: 32
Computer: 4 (+2)

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 02:28 AM   #373
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

59. Godfather: A
60. World War Z: B
61. Much Ado About Nothing: A-
62. The Lone Ranger: C+
63. Godfather pt.II: A+
64. Godfather pt.III: B

You know the telegraphing of what happens to Mary so early and I feel often takes this down a peg. There is the famous line of course, "Just when I think I'm out they drag me back in". While the setting and tone do a great job of recapturing what was done 16yrs earlier Al Pacino's Michael Corleone seems a bit off, not quite as perfectly recaptured. Still it's better than 90% of what comes out of Hollywood today and this was a '90 film. Glad I've completed this now so far removed from when I've first seen them, or parts of them.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:37 PM   #374
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-

6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

10) Top Gun - C+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A

18) Kick-Ass - B
19) The Heat - B-
20) Monsters Inc. - B+
21) White House Down - B+
22) Saving Private Ryan - A

It was good, even on this rewatch several years after seeing it originally. The first twenty minutes still effectively show the chaos of D-Day and I also enjoy that these were a collection of guys, not a stock pick of every stereotype.

23) Air Force One - A-

I caught this one on History Channel last night and ever since it came out, it has been one of my guilty pleasures. I don't think it works as well if you don't have Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman completely buying into the roles and while it does have its plot holes, like why is Xander Berkley's Secret Service agent helping the terrorists? it's still a great popcorn flick.
Old July 14 2013, 10:02 PM   #375
CaptainCanada
Admiral

48. Pacific Rim (B+)

Fun blockbuster filmmaking that doesn't pretend to be other than what it is, though I don't think it quite reaches the upper echelon of its genre. Amazing special effects.

Cinema: 12 (+1)
Home Video: 32
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote