TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 18 2013, 09:23 PM   #301
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

45. Man of Steel (B+)

Very solid film. Much like Iron Man, will probably need a rewatch to firm up my opinion on it.

Cinema: 11 (+1)
Home Video: 32
Computer: 2

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 05:45 AM   #302
Harvey
Admiral

Still haven't seen Star Trek Into Darkness, CaptainCanada?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 07:34 AM   #303
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Went to a couple of movies tonight. First, the Action Pack's Quote Along for National Lampoon's Vacation, which is part of the Summer of '83 series. The props were kinda lame - just some moose ears to wear and a champagne popper for the shotgun blast in Dodge City - and hardly any of Beverly D'Angelo's lines were subtitled. The preshow was pretty awesome, though. Very Chevy Chase - centric.

I've seen the movie a lot, though, so I won't be addin' it to my list.

And I followed that up with my fifth viewin' of Star Trek Into Darkness since a buddy of mine hadn't seen it yet. We had to settle for 2D, though, which he was okay with. And I wore my blue DS9 uniform. I took the yellow, too, but he didn't want to borrow it.

Ah, well...at least he enjoyed the movie.
Old June 19 2013, 07:35 AM   #304
od0_ital
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I think he works at a theater chain. Perk of the job.
Nothing about living in Texas gets him 'free admission'.

It does make me wonder when is the last time Odo paid for a theatrical film though.
I know. I just wish I lived near an Alamo Drafthouse. I see free tickets for stuff all the time online.
They are poppin' up all over, with more scheduled to open in the next few years.

Currently, there are Alamo Drafthouses open in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas City, MO, Denver, CO, and Ashburn & Winchester, VA, with a new one scheduled to open in Austin next month, and one in D/FW, TX scheduled to open in August.

Not to mention plans to open in New Braunfels, Lubbuck, El Paso, San Francisco, New York & Kalamazoo.
Old June 19 2013, 11:47 AM   #305
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
No. Probably won't until July.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 02:43 PM   #306
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Had several mini-reviews that got erased.

Cloud Atlas (2012) ★★½
Carnival of Souls ★★½
Man of Steel (2013) ★★★½
Lords of Salem (2013) ★
Upstream Color (2013) ★★½
Stoker (2013) ★★★
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 03:51 PM   #307
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
They are poppin' up all over, with more scheduled to open in the next few years.

Currently, there are Alamo Drafthouses open in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Kansas City, MO, Denver, CO, and Ashburn & Winchester, VA, with a new one scheduled to open in Austin next month, and one in D/FW, TX scheduled to open in August.

Not to mention plans to open in New Braunfels, Lubbuck, El Paso, San Francisco, New York & Kalamazoo.
Heavy concentration in it's homestate of TX I see then other larger markets....but Kalamazoo? That just looks like the "one of these things is not like the other". If that's on the list add Nashville, TN then!!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 06:23 PM   #308
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
No. Probably won't until July.
I'm quite curious what you'll think of it.

I've been too busy (lazy?) to post any reviews in this thread this year, but I always like reading your mini-reviews.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 08:50 PM   #309
Jadin
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cloud Atlas B+

(There's some nice suggestions in this thread. Thanks.)
Jadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2013, 09:06 PM   #310
od0_ital
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Heavy concentration in it's homestate of TX I see then other larger markets....but Kalamazoo? That just looks like the "one of these things is not like the other". If that's on the list add Nashville, TN then!!!
Yeah, I had a good laugh when I saw Kalamazoo on the list, too.

Jokin' about it with other folks at work, its "the (fill in the blank) capital of Michigan!"
Old June 20 2013, 04:07 PM   #311
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

54. Ninja Assassin: B
55. Mr&Mrs. Smith: A-
56. Silver Linings Playbook: A-
57. Man of Steel: B+
58. Doubt: A

I found this to be a well done film. Apparently it was written for the stage based on what the opening credits said and it is largely a 3 person play. With the students of the Catholic school and others really a glorified chorus.
It stars Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I had to hit IMDB for the spelling of Streep's name. Sister Beaver was how it sounded many times and that just is so clearly wrong. Sister Beauvier is a very rigid by the book old school Nun, Principal of the school, who is very sure of herself, convictions and piety. Adams, is Sister James, a younger nun who teaches History at the school and is unsure if something is a foot with PSH Priest, Father Flynn and the schools first negro student. An inappropriate relationship is formulated and alleged by Sister Beauvier after the student returns from the Rectory with the smell of wine on his breath.

Father Flynn defends himself and denies the allegations of Sister Beauvier. Sister James is ready and eager to accept the explanation of events as Flynn describes them. No harm, no foul...we were wrong. Sister Beauvier will not hear of it, she is convinced The Father is lying....because her own inner convictions say so. No proof, none at all to the contrary of The Father's explanation.

The film is weaved with themes of a sermon on Doubt, to start the film. The idea of intolerance plays two fold. One for Sister Beauvier and the other in the the explanation of how 60's era kids would be cruel to the only negro student, thus Father Flynn was showing him extra care to keep his esteem high + his father beat him. Flynn felt he needed the nurturing, which Beauvier saw as more than that on a level encroaching inappropriate.

In lieu of the Catholic pedophile scandals the past decade it's easy watching this film to want to instantly side with Sister Beauvier. When Father Flynn explains how her interpretation is wrong you do kinda want to think he's lying but the Sister James in many of us also wants to say, "see, all worked up for nothing".

The best parallel I can think of his when a woman would falsely cry RAPE and alter a man's path. His work, social life, it all changes once that is accused, true or not. This has been documented to happen. Sister Beauvier threatens Father Flynn and rather than fight her on it, despite saying call my other parishes they can vouch for me, he puts in for a transfer. It's here Beauvier lies(shock, gasp) and says she did and got troubling reports. Says this is your 3rd Parish in 5yrs, wonder why, what are you hiding. In the end Father Flynn lands at a Parish with a position that is essentially a promotion. The film ends with Beauvier confessing her doubt and lies to Sister James. A very solid film.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 02:26 AM   #312
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013) ★★★
This was a solid ★★★★ until the 3rd act. The trailer doesn't really give any hint to the full scope of the story. Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper give powerful performances, but it slowly starts to outstay its welcome. It might be a contender for awards later in the year, though. Keep an eye on it.
Before Sunrise (1995) ★★★½
A coworker talks about this movie nonstop. I've always wanted to check it out, too, so I finally got my hands on a copy. It's really good. I enjoyed the dialogue a lot and Julie Delpy is pretty amazing to look at.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 11:45 PM   #313
stj
Rear Admiral

This is the End.

Not only is it the most honest movie about Hollywood ever filmed, but it is the bravest exploration of Hollywood spirituality ever committed to celluloid.

Just kidding about one of those statements!
Old June 23 2013, 08:25 AM   #314
od0_ital
Admiral

Went to the Ritz yesterday to watch Trading Places, part of the Summer of '83 series, on 35mm. I've seen it on VHS & DVD before, so it won't be added to the "new to me" list, but it was pretty cool to see it on the theater screen.
Old June 23 2013, 08:25 AM   #315
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
7) The Perks of being a Wallflower (2012) - B+
8) Looper (2012) - B+
9) Iron Man 3 (2013) - B
10) Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - B-
11) Monster's Inc (2001) - A
12) Man of Steel (2013) - B
13) Safety Not Guaranteed (2012) - B

I'm not entirely sure what I can say about this movie. Aubry Plaza and Mark Duplass are great together (Even though I have to ask does Aubrey Plaza always play this type of character, because I saw a lot of April Ludgate in Darias) but that ending left everything so wide open. I'm not going to spoil the ending, but let's just say it opened a little can of worms to everything that came before. The B plot with the Indian guy and the Boss I could have done without, but overall, I liked this indie film. Not the best thing in the world, but it was charming and that was good enough.

Theater: 5 (+1)
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 5
Itunes: 2
Netflix: 1 (+1)

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote