Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2013, 04:40 AM   #286
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

The Jensen Project - DVD
Risky Business - free admission
Screwballs - free admission
Stay Tuned - free admission
12 Angry Men - DVD
Fast & Furious 6 - free admission
Now You See Me - free admission
After Earth - free admission
The Last Unicorn - blu ray
The Internship - free admission
The Purge - free admission
The Deadly Spawn - free admission
Before Midnight - free admission
Wargames - free admission

Went over to the Ritz the other night for two of the movies in the Summer of '83 series.

Octopussy is now the first Roger Moore as James Bond movies I've seen on the big screen.

TDS was a gawd awful alien invasion movie. Long stretches of no dialogue, and then some of the worst line delivery...ugh. At least it was free.

Went across town today for a couple of movies.

BM is the better of the two Ethan Hawke movies I've seen this week. I really want to see the first two in the series now.

Followed that up with my first viewin' of Wargames, another in the Summer of '83 series. I kept thinkin' I'd seen it before, but after watchin' it, I know I hadn't. It was terribly dated, but worth watchin'.
Old June 12 2013, 07:20 PM   #287
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Every time I see you writing - free admission, I want to move to Texas.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2013, 08:27 PM   #288
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think he works at a theater chain. Perk of the job.
Nothing about living in Texas gets him 'free admission'.

It does make me wonder when is the last time Odo paid for a theatrical film though.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 07:55 PM   #289
od0_ital
Admiral

The Jensen Project - DVD
12 Angry Men - DVD
Man of Steel 2D - employee screening

Got a ride from a buddy of mine to the employee screenin' of the new Superman movie this mornin'.

Freakin' awesome!

The castin' is damn near perfect all around, the effects are great...my one big problem is a spoiler, so I won't mention it.

Got a plan to see it again with another friend on Monday, in 3D.
Old June 13 2013, 08:00 PM   #290
od0_ital
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Every time I see you writing - free admission, I want to move to Texas.
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Yep, I've got a job with the Alamo Drafthouse. Pretty much any show that isn't sold out, I can get tickets to see.

And we show a lot of stuff.

Well, I did have to come back to Texas from Louisiana to get the job...

It does make me wonder when is the last time Odo paid for a theatrical film though.
Top Gun 3D durin' its limited IMAX release last February.

Old June 13 2013, 11:33 PM   #291
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Do you do other things other than watching movies? Do you watch Movies on your job? I'm just curious.
Old June 14 2013, 03:28 PM   #292
Agent Richard07
Admiral

101. Bride of Frankenstein (✩✩✩) - Live TV
102. Creature from the Black Lagoon (✩✩✩½) - Live TV

Reviews and a discussion for both movies can be found here.

103. Predators (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - I never heard of this when it came out. Weird. Anyway, I loved it. It was a worthy Predator movie and felt like a better sequel to the original than the Danny Glover movie. Adrian Brody was fun to watch as a badass and Lawrence Fishburn gave a standout performance as well. And a kendo fight with a predator… Awesome.

104. Starter for 10 (✩✩✩) - DVD - Professor X, Carol Marcus and John Harrison working together to win a university trivia contest. 'Nuff said.

Finding out that Cumberbatch and Eve worked together before was the only reason I decided to check this one out. Rebecca Hall is also in it.

105. This Is the End (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - The big stars of comedy (Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride and Jonah Hill) play themselves trapped in James Franco's house during the end times. Hilarity ensues and it's pretty funny, raunchy and oddball in that "Dude, Where's My Car?" sort of way. I loved it and was impressed with the large cast of popular actors playing themselves in bit parts. Didn't know this was directed by Seth Rogen until I got home. I'm also wondering how well this will age. A lot of it depends on the viewer's appreciation of current pop culture celebs.

106. Super (✩✩✩✩) - Download - Basically the independent film version of Kick Ass. Stars Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Nathan Fillion, Liv Tyler and Kevin Bacon as the villain. It's a comedic yet realistic take on what would happen if someone decided to dress up in costume and fight crime. Do check it out.

107. Superman: Unbound (✩✩✩½) - Download - Not bad. Had an interesting take on Brainiac, I liked the relationship stuff with Lois and Clark, and Supergirl has a pretty substantial role to the point were it could have been her movie. Also, I don't think I've ever seen an instance where Superman and Supergirl used different shades of blue in their costumes. Superman's was pretty much teal here.

108. Man of Steel (✩✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - This is the second movie this year to get a full 5 stars from me. Click here to find out why.

Theatre: 16
Blu-ray: 7
DVD: 19
Live TV: 16
Download: 47
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 06:46 PM   #293
od0_ital
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Do you do other things other than watching movies?
uhm...yeah.

Do you watch Movies on your job? I'm just curious.
No. When I'm on the clock at work, I'm workin'. When I'm watchin' movies, its durin' my own time.
Old June 14 2013, 06:53 PM   #294
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

52. Boot Camp: B-
53. Green Zone: C
54. Ninja Assassin: B
55. Mr&Mrs. Smith: A-
56. Silver Linings Playbook: A-

I only knew a few things about this movie going in. It starred Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence with a story that wove around mental illness and getting your life together. I was pleasantly surprised to see Robert DeNiro and Chris Tucker in the film. Between the four of them and the rest of the cast it was a well acted film. I did feel the story gave off the vibe that finding someone to be with, or finding love again, was enough to "put you right". Neither were on the meds they were supposed to be on but once they found each other and worked through something together(the dance) the love came and all was well. I'm not sure based on my limited experience with mentally ill(we call them exceptional ed at this level) that it's a wholly fair conclusion to show. Again, my experience is very limited but I found the movie to be very good and worth any and all awards it might have won. Lawrence won for Actress, right?
Old June 15 2013, 08:35 AM   #295
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
7) The Perks of being a Wallflower (2012) - B+
8) Looper (2012) - B+
9) Iron Man 3 (2013) - B
10) Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - B-
11) Monster's Inc (2001) - A

I typically don't talk about movies I have already seen, but it's been so long since I've seen Monster's Inc, and with Monster's University coming out next week, I thought it was time to revisit it. When I originally watched this film, I didn't think it was Pixar's best effort, and actually thought it was too childish even by Pixar's standards.

Well, 13 years later and a whole bunch of new films added to Pixar's Library, I have changed my mind on this movie. It totally rocks. It's fun, Mike and Sully are a great duo, and the little girl was so cute and adorable. It had that Pixar charm that was severely lacking in Cars 2 (I haven't seen Brave yet) and it's a worthy film in the Pixar film lore. I'm looking forward to Monster's University now, and hope that while it might not be as good as Monster's Inc, it has that same charm and sense of fun to it.

Theater: 4
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 5 (+1)
Itunes: 2

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; June 15 2013 at 09:16 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 09:43 PM   #296
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
7) The Perks of being a Wallflower (2012) - B+
8) Looper (2012) - B+
9) Iron Man 3 (2013) - B
10) Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - B-
11) Monster's Inc (2001) - A
12) Man of Steel (2013) - B

Went to see the new Superman movie today and really enjoyed it. I really liked the story and the action wasn't as bad as some of the critics have said, but my main problem with the film was some of the corny acting and dialog. Some quotes were really cringeworthy, especially Michael Shannon as Zod. I thought the best two actors in this film were Kent's Parents, played by Costner and Lane. As for Cavil as Clark, he did a pretty good job with what he was given. He's no Christopher Reeve, but he is a worthy actor for the Superman Character.

Theater: 5 (+1)
Blu-Ray/DVD/TV: 5
Itunes: 2
Old June 16 2013, 07:56 PM   #297
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A
14) Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - A
15) Inglorious Basterds - B+
16) Independence Day - B+
17) Star Trek – Into Darkness (B+)

It was a decent movie, but where it fails in its construction. It felt like a series of short snippets to make the story seem cohesive. Peter Weller’s storyline seemed like a way to bring Benedict Cumberbatch’s character into the limelight. Even then, the character Cumberbatch is supposed to be (trying to avoid spoilers here) while I don’t have any problem with him appearing, seemed shoehorned in there. I was also really turned off by the blatant copies of scenes and iconic lines out of another particular movie. It really didn’t need to happen and it pulled me out of the story as it was going. The look of the Klingons was horrid, with pierced ridges? Seriously? It’s really the work of Pine, Quinto, and Cumberbatch, and to a lesser extent, Pegg, that make this movie what it is, There are given some horrible lines by the script writers, but they make the most of it. Abrams has reduced his vomit inducing lens flares and whipping the camera all over the place, but he really needs to work on a better story. You can still have a better action story with better dialogue (see the aforementioned movie they tried to copy)

18) Kick-Ass (B)
I just couldn’t get into this one. It’s a fun premise and I may be jaded, but in real life, the movie would be over after he got stabbed by those carjackers. The kid is so lost in his own fantasy that coming within a hair of death is not enough to deter him. The whole “hot girl is his friend because she thinks he’s gay” storyline also falls flat on its face. As my girlfriend said “What girl suddenly gets naked in front of a guy (in the spray tan scene) just because she thinks he’s gay.” There’s no way she puts her guard down that much. And why was it so different from the comic, where Katie doesn’t become his girlfriend at all? Did it need a Hollywood love story? The fight scenes, however sometimes implausible, were well staged and shot. I was glad to read on Wikipedia that Cage based his character around Adam West because I thought he was doing a bad William Shatner routine. I understand there was controversy about the language Hit-Girl uses and really in this day and age are we shocked? While I don’t think it’s the greatest thing in the world, people wouldn’t pay for it if they were genuinely offended. I won’t be lining up to see Kick-Ass 2; I’ll wait for it to be in the five dollar bin at Wal-Mart, like Kick-Ass was.
Old June 17 2013, 12:51 AM   #298
od0_ital
Admiral

The Jensen Project - DVD
12 Angry Men - DVD
Man of Steel 2D - employee screening
Les Miserables (1998) - DVD
Letters from Iwo Jima - DVD
Sexy Beast - DVD
Jaws 3-D - free admission

Stayed in last night & watched a few DVDs..

The '98 LM is the 200th "new to me" movie of the year. It seemed to focus on Valjean & Javert, cuttin' out quite a few other characters & subplots. It wasn't terrible, but I preferred the musical version that came out last year.

Finally watched LfIJ, the companion film to Flags of Our Fathers, which was the last "new to me" movie of 2012. It was a very claustrophobic movie, but still well worth watchin'.

SB was kinda terrible and pointless.

And then I came into work early today to see Jaws 3-D, part of the Summer of '83 series. Dennis Quaid plays the adult son of Roy Scheider's Chief Brody. And he has to deal with great white sharks invadin' a newly opened SeaWorld.

The over-the-top soft wall 3D stuff got laughs from the audience throughout the viewin'.

Got a plan to see Man of Steel again tomorrow, in 3D.
Old June 18 2013, 07:37 PM   #299
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

53. Green Zone: C
54. Ninja Assassin: B
55. Mr&Mrs. Smith: A-
56. Silver Linings Playbook: A-
57. Man of Steel: B+

Not a perfect film but it's a speeding bullet better than Returns was without a doubt. Just as a film it delivers the excitement you want and should expect from a film of this caliber. The first hour+ is imo one of the best solid single hour of film put out to date this year. The back/forth with Jor-El & Jonathan as Clark has these memory recalls during his "exile" from the rest of us. Once he turns himself over to Zod the tone of the film turns and is just one big action film told in about 3-4 rounds with the narrative becoming thin to move us from moment to moment. Even within the film(not as an adaptation) I feel the film has some missteps that are best left for the spoiler allowed grading thread. I also think the film is 12-15min too long. The fight sequences become a bit numbing after awhile. Another damaged storefront or downed skyscraper doesn't drill home the force of the warriors power anymore at some point. While I'm a purist at heart for the classic look with the red briefs I was alright with this look. People forget that the first time Batman wore ALL Black wasn't till the Burton film. Now the past 20yrs that's all it's been, bye bye blue/gray's. So if this is the Superman look that stays for 20yrs+ I'm fine, it's just major enough and minor enough if that makes sense.

I'll likely see it one more time, see how it holds up since I'm not anticipating anything till Lone Ranger in a few weeks.
Old June 18 2013, 07:44 PM   #300
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

I know. I just wish I lived near an Alamo Drafthouse. I see free tickets for stuff all the time online.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote