RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,674
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 599
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #256
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Over the last few days, I watched the entire Fast & Furious series for the first time in chronological order.

83. The Fast and the Furious (✩✩✩) - Download
84. Turbo-Charged Prelude (✩✩✩✩) - YouTube
85. 2 Fast 2 Furious (✩✩) - Download
86. Los Bandoleros (✩✩✩) - Download
87. Fast & Furious (✩✩✩½) - Download
88. Fast Five (✩✩✩✩) - Download
89. Furious 6 (✩✩✩½) - Theatre
90. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (✩✩✩½) - Download

You can read my reviews starting here.

Theatre: 11
Blu-ray: 6
DVD: 18
Live TV: 14
Download: 39
YouTube: 2
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:14 PM   #257
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

44. Welcome to the Jungle: F
45. The Time Travelers Wife: B+
46. Star Trek into Darkness: A-
47. The Lost Tomb of Jesus: B
48. The Heat: C+

Went to a sneak of this new Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy buddy cop film. This film only reinforces that overly vulgar, for the sake of vulgarity, lines spat out one after the other for the sake of meanness or discomfort is just not what I consider side splitting humor. Situational humor, accidental humor is more my enjoyment. McCarthy's character, Det.Mullins, is just one liner after one liner for 85% of the film. Now the audience seemed to love it, must be the Bridesmaid crowd, another film I found overrated.
So why a C+ grade, why not lower? They lace the characters with just enough heart that when Mullins isn't just being an arrogant ass and Bullock's FBI Special Agent Ashburn isn't being a presumptuous jerk both characters are lonely individuals for different reasons who need someone. An odd sisterhood is formed that saves the script from just being a string of SNL skits strung together. When I did laugh it was mostly at Ashburn moments, those were more the "accidental, site gags" type humor I prefer.
It'll probably do decent at the box office if my overall crowd's response is a fair anecdotal barometer.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 06:11 AM   #258
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Asura (4)
Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman (7)
Beck-Mongolian Chop Squad (2010) (10)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Blood-C: The Last Dark (6)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (7)
Dead Man Down (8)
Dragon Lord (6)
Evangelion 3.33: You Can [Not] Redo (9)
Fafner: Heaven and Earth (8)
Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Pheonix (8)
Fast and Furious 6 (9)
Gangster Squad (8)
GI Joe: Retaliation (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
Hoshizora Kiseki (7)
The Illusionist (10)
Initial D: 3rd Stage (9)
Iron Man 3 (9)
Jack Reacher (8)
K-ON: The Movie (8)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 2nd A's (9)
The Man With the Iron Fists (6)
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (6)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Niji-iro Hotaru (Rainbow Fireflies) (9)
Oblivion (8)
Olympus Has Fallen (8)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Rurouni Kenshin (2012) (8)
Star Trek: Into Darkness (10)
Tripping the Rift: The Movie (6)
Tucker and Dale VS Evil (6)
Twin Dragons (7)
Why Worry? (1923) (8)

Current Total: 42

Last edited by zakkrusz; May 27 2013 at 01:56 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 02:56 AM   #259
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - HBO on Demand
Pain & Gain - free admission
Iron Man Three 2D/3D - free admission/free admission
On the Town - free admission
Public Enemies - DVD
New York, I Love You - DVD
The World Before Her - free admission
The Legend of Billy John - free admission
Star Trek Into Darkness IMAX/3D - free screening/free admission
The Great Gatsby 3D (2013) - free admission
Iron Man: Rise of Technovore - DVD
Cabaret - free admission
The Source Family - free admission
Detention (2011) - free admission
Turkish Star Trek (1973) - free admission
Pieta - free admission
Superman Unbound - DVD

Only two new movies this week, I must be slippin'...

Went into work early the other day, and watched Pieta, the latest from Drafthouse Films, before my shift. Its a Korean movie about a loan shark collector who maims the borrowers that can't pay back the loans until he meets a woman who claims to be his mother that abandoned him as a baby.

Followed that up with Superman Unbound on DVD. Superman goes off in search of Brainiac after a probe lands in Arizona, and finds the lost city of Kandor while Supergirl is charged with protectin' Earth. I picked up the blu ray, for the exclusive bonus features, but haven't watched 'em yet.

The "Flashpoint" trailer looks like it could be cool, though.
Old May 28 2013, 04:21 PM   #260
Agent Richard07
Admiral

91. The Hangover Part III (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Some laugh-out-loud moments and humor that pushes boundries, but otherwise, it's not rip-roaringly funny or clever. Ken Jeong really shines though.

92. Starflight One (✩✩✩✩) - Download - When I was younger, I saw bits and pieces of a movie about a new supersonic airliner that flew too high and got trapped in orbit. Since it couldn't land, a shuttle had to be sent up to rescue everyone onboard. It was a fascinating idea, so I had to do some creative searching to find out what his movie was called and track it down. I did and saw it the other night. It was a TV movie from 1983 and starred Lee Majors. And for a TV movie made in the early 80s, it was pretty ambitious and had great production values.

93. Floored (✩✩✩½) - YouTube - A documentary about floor trading, those who got into it and how it's dying off with the advent of computers and programmers who write algorythms to execute trades. It's a fascinating look into that world. I didn't know that a lot of these market makers were blue collar types just looking to get rich.

Theatre: 12
Download: 40
YouTube: 3
Old May 28 2013, 04:40 PM   #261
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

46. Star Trek into Darkness: A-
49. Fast and Furious 6: A-
50. Hangover III: C-

Fast 6: Action worthy franchise that would be best appreciated on the big screen if you like action movies. The way it ended during the credits seems to indicate the events from this film and it's bad guy flow into Fast 7. It also says we are now doing a straight up sequel to Tokyo Drift...finally. So the viewing order of this franchise is: 1-2, 4-6,3,7(next summer)

Hangover 3: The actual plot premise of this film works imo, it's the execution of it that makes for a lackluster sequel to a lackluster sequel. Alan "off his meds" as an excuse to be a mean ass doesn't come off as funny imo. Lovable goof Alan is gone. Chang is overdone. When they have to write the script and have the characters telling us every 15 min how "crazy", "nuts" and "out of control" he is it's overkill. It also implies we the audiences don't know this already, as the Wolfpack should as well who make these statements as if it's a revelation. He kidnapped Doug, the crazy stuff in Bangkok...we know, he's nuts. Also don't buy the forced "romance" for Alan with current rising star Melissa McCarthy. The needless animal cruelty for laughs is also lost on me. Sad way to end the series, didn't think it would be worse than the rehash second film. It was.
Old May 28 2013, 07:33 PM   #262
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Star Trek Into Darkness - Theater - I want to say first that I really enjoyed ST09, thought it was exactly what Star Trek needed. Something big, loud and fun. With the change in timeline, they got enough right to make it one of the best Star Trek for me.

I went into this one knowing most of the "twists" and it didn't hurt the viewing for me. I enjoyed Into Darkness a lot but while I liked it, I was left feeling a little hollow. For me, the real story here was Kirks growth as a Starfleet Officer. The story I would have liked to seen would have expanded this more. I believe that you could have kept the tenets of this movie and expanded the whole Kirk loosing command of the Enterprise. In fact I think other aspects of the story could have been heighten if they focused on this more.

Need to talk about a few spoilers now...

I must give some shout outs to some great performances in the movie. I thought that again, Bruce Greenwood's Pike was the best thing about this movie. He had a real presence and really enjoyed the father figure that he became for Kirk. I also think that Peter Weller's Marcus really came close to Pike. I wish at the end, when Marcus was calling Kirk son, he really rebuffed him. How Marcus wasn't in the same league as Pike and doesn't get to call him son.

I also enjoyed Chris Pine's performance as Kirk this time even more then ST09. He brought more layers to this performance. I can see where Kirk is going, how Kirk will become Kirk. His scenes in the Warp Reactor brought a tear to my eyes. I about lost it when he said, "I'm scared."

Overall I'm very happy with this installment of Star Trek. I can't wait to see the next one.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - BluRay - I have owned The Hobbit since it came out on BluRay but last night was the first chance I got to watch it. Just wish I started it a bit earlier then 9pm, I didn't get to bed until after midnight last night.

As a huge Lord of the Rings fan and a slight Hobbit fan, I went into this expecting to enjoy it more then I did. The Hobbit fell completely flat for me. While all the elements were there, it never grabbed hold of me. Most of the performances were lackluster, I didn't like Martin Freeman performance as Bilbo and most of the dwarfs were forgettable. However Ian McKellen was great as Gandalf and Andy Serkis was again great as Gollum.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; May 28 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: B
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 07:25 AM   #263
od0_ital
Admiral

Public Enemies - DVD
Cabaret - free admission
Pieta - free admission
Superman Unbound - DVD
Behind the Candelabra - HBO
Inhumans - DVD
The Hangover Part III - free admission
Enter the Dragon - free admission
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain - free admission

Five movies since Sunday, three of 'em just today!

Caught BtC on HBO late Sunday night, my roommate and I had both been waitin' to see it, but I went ahead & watched it without her. I can totally see where it was deemed "too gay" for theatrical release. Michael Douglas was awesome as Liberace, though, and Matt Damon did well enough as the younger lover. Rob Lowe was hysterical just to look at and Dan Aykroyd did alright in his supportin' role as Liberace's manager/publicist. And I was suprised to see Scott Bakula in it, too.

I finished watchin' Inhumans, a motion comic from Marvel Knights Animation, on DVD early this mornin'. Its a twelve-part series, each part about ten minutes long (not includin' credits). Not too bad an introduction to a group of characters/society in the Marvel universe I wasn't that familiar with. And it helped to have crossover characters like Reed Richards, Black Widow & Prince Namor, not to mention the Thing chew toy. That was a nice touch.

Went over to the Ritz this afternoon for a triple feature.

First up, The Hangover Part III, which was actually kinda funny. I liked it a lot more than the second one, though the first is still the best of the three movies. I think Bradley Cooper could have used more moments other than variations of "What the fuck?" And its almost always fun to see John Goodman in a production, and I think this was the first time where I've seen him in a role that actually acknowledges his body type since Rosanne (when he body checks Zach Galifanikas to the ground, it was all belly).

Also, if ya haven't seen it yet, be sure to stick around for the mid-credit bonus.

Followed that up with Enter the Dragon, the Bruce Lee classic from the '70s. That dude was ripped, holy crap! I'm sure I must have seen this movie as a kid, based on my brother's tastes in movies back when we were younger, and some of it seemed kinda familiar, but I'm addin' it to the list, anyway.

And finally, this week's Terror Tuesday movie, which was about a psychotic axe murderer who stalks a family in Florida while havin' nightmares about the murders he committed as a teenager. It was pretty damn cheesy, and had a WTF?!? endin' if there ever was one.

Gonna try to get to Epic and Fast & Furious 6 in the near future...and After Earth and Now You See Me both open this weekend!
Old May 30 2013, 03:50 PM   #264
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

51. Now You See Me: A

Attended an advanced sneak showing of this last night and found it every bit as enjoyable as I'd hoped. Got lots of great crowd reaction throughout the film. The humor in this is very dry at times but works with the character portrayals and flows excellently from moment to moment. Morgan Freeman owns nearly ever scene he is in with someone, and Kaine kinda ups in one with his closing remark. The 4 Horsemen are a bit lacking on backstory but their backstory isn't crucial in the slightest to the agenda at hand. You get enough though. Ruffalo is great as the guy who is one step behind it seems the whole time. This is the type film that will also be fun on repeated viewings I suspect. Hope if finds an audience. I thought of one movie it felt like from one perspective and if you want to ruin the thrill of the mystery/suspense click the SPOILER BELOW
Old May 31 2013, 11:47 AM   #265
od0_ital
Admiral

Public Enemies - DVD
Cabaret - free admission
Pieta - free admission
Superman Unbound - DVD
Behind the Candelabra - HBO
Inhumans - DVD
The Hangover Part III - free admission
Enter the Dragon - free admission
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain - free admission
Epic 2D - free admission

Got cut early from my shift Wednesday, so I caught a showin' of Epic before I left for the day.

About a teen girl who comes to live with her estranged, absentminded father in his house on the edge of a forest. And he's convinced that there's a society of little people livin' in the forest, and collects pieces of their existence.

Turns out, she finds out he's right when she gets shrunken down to a miniperson and has to fight to save the little people society.

Good voice work, interestin' animation, and I need to figure out how to see it again in 3D, 'cause, yeah, I bet it looks pretty good that way.

One thing bugged me, and its a regular complaint with animated stuff, I guess, but the randomness of which animals & bugs and plants got to be intelligent and which ones didn't kind of threw me off. When I posted about this on Facebook, a friend reminded me of the Goofy/Pluto dog issue that Disney has had for decades.
Old May 31 2013, 03:52 PM   #266
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

51. Now You See Me: A
52. Boot Camp: B-

This DDVD starring Mila Kunis and the kid from Everwood(don't recall his name right now) is about exposing what has been going on at "Tough Love" camps since the 70's. Since they mention that term at the films start I felt that would be a better title for the film. But I guess a mixed message of the films content would likely have occurred.

It starts off saying this is based on a true story. What I'm unclear on is if they meant "this" story or just the fact that events "like this" have been documented has having occurred at Tough Love camps.

Tough Love camps are places, institutions where well to do families send their snotty, spoiled trouble maker teenage brats off to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them. To hopefully keep them from becoming a Paris Hilton, Amanda Bynes or River Phoenix type individual. Overall the film mostly held my attention for it's 1hr40min run time. I'm guessing these type institution are still up and running as of today. The reason I question if it's mean to be a 'true story' about Mila and her situation is that if it was I'd have liked a textual follow up about how once she escaped, what she and her boyfriend did/are doing to get them shut down. But they provided no follow up at films end.
Old June 1 2013, 05:00 PM   #267
stj
Rear Admiral

Secrets of a Soul, directed by G.W. Pabst. This psychoanalytical movie has great fun with the dream imagery. But it has what now seems to be a fairly pat denouement as to the cause of the anonymous hero's sudden fear of knives and near-compulsion to kill his wife. What doesn't seem to be so pat is the extraordinary ambiguity of the epilogue. It seems quite plausible that the child was sired by the wife's cousin! I strongly suspect that the material escaped someone's artistic control.

Back to 1942. This Chinese movie is extremely well photographed and staged. It unabashedly appeals to the sentiment. A quick review of critics complains that the characters are not engaging enough to make them want to invest any sympathy. I thought the characters were rather well defined by what they did. I have the uneasy feeling that some of the disengagement is not because the movie failed to draw characters, but because of the race of the characters was not engaging.

The plot in one sense is pretty straightforward. A village in Henan, a province of thirty million, is tormented by drought, swarms of locusts and Japanese invaders. The central government, corrupt, ineffective and genuinely beset by the trials of war, not only does not provide aid but tries to extract grain for the war effort! In this setting, an entire village takes to the road to Shaanxi province, traditional refuge in crisis. The movie focuses on the interactions of the villagers, particularly two families. The standard estimate is that three million of ten million refugees perished. The action is appropriately grim.

Intercut with this are brief scenes of the wider political and military setting, such as a scene where a Japanese general orders that the refugees be fed by the Japanese military, to undercut the nationalist government. Generalissimo Jiang Kai-shek is a major figure. He is treated with considerable ambiguity in one way. But in another he is presented as a highly charismatic and thoughtful, possibly even tormented, leader. I think they increased his physical stature as a visual cue. In Hollywood terms this is highly positive and this movie is pretty Hollywood even if it is Chinese. In particular, the exigencies of war are condemned by (different) characters within the movie as insufficient for the nationalist government's indifference and as a tragic necessity.

This is such a lavish production that it is likely that the making of the film was approved from the top. Thus, the ambiguity about Jiang and his failures to provide for the people may signify a reaching out to the Taiwan government on a cultural level, desirable in the face of Obama's pivot to Asia. This is particularly true as the central leaders seek more and more to turn China capitalist. Although this would benefit them personally, making many billionaires, it would mean the central government, like the Nationalists, would have to put the war for national survival ahead of the local popular welfare. A discreet apologia disguised as history could seem useful.

But, is the movie is to be read as an attack on Mao, with this movie's Jiang's charisma an oblique invocation? The famines of 1958-1960 are universally attributed to political policy, to the point where no one seems to know the Yellow River flooded or one year 60% of China was in drought. On the other hand, noticing the mere existence of such a noncommunist famine could be interpreted as context?

Last edited by stj; June 2 2013 at 03:40 PM.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2013, 03:50 PM   #268
Agent Richard07
Admiral

94. Side Effects (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - A young guy gets out of prison after being there for insider trading and his wife starts taking an experimental anti-depressant that doesn't do her any good, to put it mildly. Stars Channing Tatum, Rooney Mara, Jude Law and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Steven Soderbergh directed this one. It's really good. Do check it out.

95. Parker (✩✩✩½) - Download - A pretty good action heist drama with Jason Statham.

96. I Am a Sex Addict (✩✩✩) - Download - A pretty weird autobiographical piece from independent film maker with no money Caveh Zahedi about being adicted to prostitutes. It's pretty raw and makes sex and hookers seem unappealing. It's also got 90s porn star Rebecca Lord.

97. Snitch (✩✩✩✩) - Download - Dwayne Johnson needs to get his son out of prison after he's sent there for possession of drugs with intent to sell, so he becomes a drug smuggler himself in order to catch some dealers. It's actually quite good. It's not mindless fun. It's a commentary on how ridiculous the mandatory minimum sentences are. One thing though, can a dad really bring in bad guys to get his son's sentence reduced? Gotta look that up.

98. Now is Good (✩✩✩½) - Download - A teenage girl want to go through her bucket list before she dies of lukemia. Stars Dakota Fanning. It starts off pretty boring, but it's actually a pretty touching film in the end as it chronocles a girls final days. It was also shot in Britain and Fanning talks with an acent. I was also surprised at how much she looked like a young Amanda Tapping in a few shots.

Theatre: 12
Download: 45
YouTube: 3
Old June 2 2013, 03:51 PM   #269
Agent Richard07
Admiral

May Rundown (31 Movies)

5 Stars
Iron Man 3 - Theatre

4½ Stars
Side Effects - Download

4 Stars
Fast Five - Download
Snitch - Download
Starflight One - Download
The High Cost of Living - Download
Turbo-Charged Prelude (to 2 Fast 2 Furious) - YouTube

3½ Stars
Fast & Furious - Download
Floored - YouTube
Furious 6 - Theatre
Margaret - Download
Now is Good - Download
Parker - Download
Star Trek Into Darkness - Theatre
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - Download
The First Time - Download
The Oranges - Download
Uncertainty - Download
Vanishing on 7th Street - DVD

3 Stars
Blue Valentine - DVD
I Am a Sex Addict - Download
Los Bandoleros - Download
The Darkest Hour - Download
The Fast and the Furious - Download
The Hangover Part III - Theatre
The Mechanic - Live TV
Your Sister's Sister - Download

2½ Stars
None

2 Stars
10 Years - Download
2 Fast 2 Furious - Download
Cosmopolis - Download

1½ Stars
The Bouquet - Live TV

1 Star
None

½ Star
None

0 Stars
None
Old June 2 2013, 10:29 PM   #270
CaptainCanada
Admiral

44. Iron Man 3 (B+)

There are many very interesting aspects to spending two months in England studying international law in the summer, but one of the disadvantages is it's hard to find time for cinema-going, which I would normally be very engaged in during the summer months. Finally found time to see this.

I'll probably have to see it again to arrive at a more definitive assessment. It has a very noticeably different style than the previous movies in the series, which is perhaps not surprising given Shane Black's being in charge. The plot manages to genuinely surprise in places, which is unusual for a blockbuster. Much better than Iron Man 2, but not as good as Iron Man.

I may revise this movie's grade up when I get another viewing.

Cinema: 10 (+1)
Home Video: 32
Computer: 2

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote