New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 11 2013, 03:48 PM   #151
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

37. Oz the Great and Powerful (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - I talk more about the movie here. It was colorful, touching and funny in spots and I thought the ending was brilliant. Williams and Weisz did very well, but I had issues with Franco and Kunis. Franco was good actually, but his character felt too contemporary. And Kunis, though stunning and good as Theodora, couldn't totally pull off the Wicked Witch.

38. And Soon the Darkness (2010) (✩✩½) - DVD - Two college-aged girls travel Argentina by bicycle and one of them gets kidnapped. It's a whodunit story that involes a guy the girls met at a bar, another mysterious but non-creepy guy they met and a police officer. Stars Odette Yustman, Amber Heard and Karl Urban. It's a remake of a 1970 film. I liked the actresses and the small town backwoods scenery, but the story was pretty weak. There was little sense of mystery, urgency or dread. They almost had something but didn't hit the target.

39. And Soon The Darkness (1970) (✩✩✩✩) - Download - I watched the 1970 version right after. Two young English women travel the French countryside by bicycle and one of them gets kidnapped. The whodunit aspect this time involves a mysterious man who's also been roaming the countryside on his moped, the town's police officer, an elderly teacher in the area, a farmer and a lady who runs a café. This movie was a vast improvement over the 2010 version. It really captured a sense of mystery, fear and dread and did so in broad daylight. Makes you wonder why the remake couldn't do this.

40. Jack (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - The story of Canada's NDP leader Jack Layton. I liked the all-star cast that included Sook-Yin Lee, Wendy Crewson and Erin Karpluk. And I was especially impressed with how well they made up Rick Roberts to look like Jack.

Theatre: 6
Blu-ray: 3
DVD: 11
Live TV: 11
Netflix: 0
Download: 8
YouTube: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:56 PM   #152
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

21. Mulan: A-
22. The Lovely Bones: B
23. The Initiation of Sarah: D
24. Jack the Giant Slayer: C+
25. Oz the Great and Powerful: B+

Saw two films from two directors whose work I generally enjoy, got mixed results this weekend.

Jack the Giant Slayer: from director Bryan Singer and starring Ewan McGregor, Nicholas Hoult(XM:FC,Warm Bodies), Ian McShane and Stanley Tucci with a twist on the classic fairy tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. My opinion on this, I admit, is largely due to not being a fan of what was likely the intended demographic's sense of humor. The Giants are given rather tween-ish types of behavior where picking your nose, eating what you find, farting, scratching & smelling and other hygiene esque bits of middle school humor would rule. I can't say I expected that going in but soon came to that realization. I wasn't expecting the darkness of Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters either though. The pacing felt fine and the romance didn't feel rushed or cheap. The CGI on the Giants didn't fully sell me either. I felt when focusing on Giant at a time the f/x felt sharper than when we saw an assembled group. Which is odd cause a grouped shot of Cybertronian Robots felt more real. While I didn't predict the exact sequence the ending is a bit predictable and most should see where it's headed by the midpoint of the film. I'd say a solid renter at least.

Oz the Great and Powerful: by director Sam Rami and starring James Franco as Oz, Michelle Williams as Glinda, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Zach Braff about this prequel to the classic Wizard of Oz film/book. The visuals were top notch accompanied by Danny Elfman's score. It paid great homage by starting the film in b&w before becoming color once we reached OZ. It seems Richard 007 and I felt similar about Franco and Kunis. I was buying into Kunis' character right up until...the second act...is all I'll say. I kept trying to figure out if Franco's Oz was just a conman or if he had that heart of gold that Glinda insisted was there. I just couldn't decide if I wanted to like him and maybe that was indeed intentional. As a conman you are about misdirection so during the film it occurred to me that perhaps that was part of the characterization? Over thinking it? The fun of the heroics at the end is why I feel that perhaps I didn't over think it, really liked the ending. Williams and Weisz were also both really good in their roles. I think the unsung hero and scene stealer of the film is Finley(voiced by Braff) the flying monkey sidekick. The f/x were just solid enough that what my logic sided brain was fighting with a monkey that has wings the emotional character of his portrayal over rode that.
There is just enough gap imo from where this ends that perhaps one could do another tale in OZ before Dorothy arrives.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 12:34 AM   #153
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+

I think all the great things about this movie center around it's star, Thomas Horn. This kid is great, especially playing the intricate personality of an autistic child.

Sandra Bullock as the mother is finally cast in something that gives her some dramatic depth. Max von Sydow as the grandfather was also another strong performance.

My only regret is that I can't watch it again and follow the story without knowing the end of the mystery.
Old March 12 2013, 11:31 PM   #154
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman (7)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Blood-C: The Last Dark (6)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (7)
Dead Man Down (8)
Dragon Lord (6)
Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Pheonix (8)
Gangster Squad (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
Hoshizora Kiseki (7)
The Illusionist (10)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (6)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Rurouni Kenshin (2012) (8)
Tripping the Rift: The Movie (6)
Tucker and Dale VS Evil (6)
Twin Dragons (7)

Current Total: 25
Old March 12 2013, 11:38 PM   #155
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III - free admission
Safe - DVD
The Mechanic - DVD
Jack the Giand Slayer 3D - free admission
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - free admission
The Wiz - free admission
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Unrated Exteded Edition - DVD
Jay and Silent Bob Go Down Under - Netflix Instant
Lewis Black: In God We Rust - Netflix Instant
Jackass: The Movie - Unrated - Netflix Instant
Mardi Gras Massacre - free admission

Had some friends over last week to watch BSG: Blood & Chrome on DVD.

I thought it was alright, not great. My buddy Jeff commented that he would have liked to have seen it go to series more than Caprica.

After they left, I watched the Jay & Silent Bob performance. I rather like the Kevin Smith solo monologues, but in this one, Jason Mewes is in the spotlight as part of his drug rehab. And he doesn't make for an interestin' public speaker at all, since all he does is talk about awkward sex he's had.

Watched a Lewis Black standup special the other day. I've actually heard most of it, thanks to the comedy radio station, 102.7, here in Austin.

And then I watched the unrated version of Jackass. Part of the preshow for The Last Stand included clips from the movies/tv series, and it made me curious enough to watch. It was crude, vulgar, juvenile, and just a bit brilliant, especially the bits of them as old farts on scooters.

I was goin' to a movie screenin' tonight, but opted not to...but I may go out for Terror Tuesday.

- edit, to add -

Went over to the Alamo Drafthouse Village for Terror Tuesday last night. Its been moved from the Ritz because of SxSW.

This week's movie was Mardi Gras Massacre, which was about a creepy guy who worshipped an Aztec goddess and picked up hookers & strippers in New Orleans to sacrifice to goddess. Bad actin', bad dialogue, odd pauses & over the top stupidity, plus the side plot of a former vice cop havin' a brief relationship with a hooker durin' the homicide investigation.

At least it was free! Even if I did have to put up with a guy in the lobby insistin' that he knew me, and wanted me to tell him where from...

May go back out to the Village tonight for Weird Wednesday, don't know for sure yet.

Last edited by od0_ital; March 13 2013 at 11:54 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 05:25 AM   #156
Agent Richard07
Admiral

41. Please Give (✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - A bizzare little slice of life movie with no discernable plot, but it was quirky and fun. Stars Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Rebecca Hall and Amanda Peet.

42. Compliance (✩✩✩) - Download - A girl working at a fast food joint is called into her managers office where a police officer on the phone instructs the manager to perform a strip search. Based on true events. It deals with the issue of how easily people can or will submit to authority. The movie appeared to get progressiveley more outrageous, but apparently, this was pretty close to what actually happened. The movie is very raw and real when it dealt with the actual events that unfolded, but it glossed over the consequences of what happened, so I had to dock points.

Blu-ray: 4
Download: 9
Old March 13 2013, 10:29 PM   #157
CaptainCanada
Admiral

32. A Royal Affair (A-)

Denmark's submission for Foreign Language Film last year, and one of the finalists, is an 18th century-set period drama about Britain's Princess Caroline, who is married to the mentally unbalanced Christian VII of Denmark and Norway, and becomes both the ally and lover of the court physician, Dr. Struensee, an atheist with a passion for Enlightenment reform. Caroline is played by Swedish actress Alicia Vikander, who had a big year between this and Joe Wright's Anna Karenina; while I appreciated Vikander's work in the latter film (she was the most affecting part of it), this is the stronger piece of work. Mads Mikkelson is likewise very good as Struensee -- he pretty must just plays villains in Hollywood, so this is a nice change of pace. The least-known of the main trio, Danish actor Mikkel Folsgaard as Christian, delivers what may be the strongest work; he has the most challenging part, playing a king whose mental illness makes him come across quite poorly (especially early on), but allowing us to understand and feel sorry for the poor guy, who is ultimately getting played by pretty much everyone in one way or another.

Cinema: 8 (+1)
Home Video: 23
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 05:22 AM   #158
CaptainCanada
Admiral

33. Exotica (B+)

There was a period in the mid 1990s when Atom Egoyan was the prince of the Canadian cinema scene; the 21st century hasn't been especially kind. Maybe the missing ingredient is Bruce Greenwood, who headlined both this and The Sweet Hereafter (both times playing a grieving father whose wife and kid/s are dead), but has been essentially absent from this oeuvre ever since -- Egoyan should hope that's the case, anyway, since Greenwood is set to appear in both of his next films. If the missing ingredient is Sarah Polley (who likewise appeared in both), then the drought isn't going to end soon.

I don't think this is on the same level as The Sweet Hereafter (probably the best Canadian film ever made) -- the intentionally mysterious connections between the characters keep the audience wondering a bit, but the moments of catharsis where everything is revealed don't (for me, anyway) have the power they're meant to, though they are reasonably effective. Greenwood's great, and the rest of the cast acquit themselves well.

34. Peter Pan (B)

Another classic piece of valuable Disney intellectual property.

Speaking of which, rewatching this for the first time in years reminds that Tinkerbell, who's become essentially an alternate mascot for Disney Company, is a complete sociopath in the original movie. The film itself is pleasant, and beautifully animated, but it lacks the weight of Disney's best material.

Cinema: 8
Home Video: 25 (+2)
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 04:22 PM   #159
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

22. The Lovely Bones: B
26. Olympus Has Fallen: A-

Went to a sneak of his last week and just getting around to posting on it. It opens this Friday, 3/22, and so far imo it's the best all out action film of the year to date. I say that as an unapologetic fan of my 80's icons and their films from earlier this year.

This film has a villain you really do love to hate. Which was one issue with the new Die Hard. Gerard Butler as the secret service agent whose been in a situation with the President that he feels he's failed him and gets reassigned. The terrorist takeover of the White House is fate's way of making amends in his eyes. Butler shines as Banning and he delivers both the serious and comedic lines well. What's great is the comedic lines aren't delivered as intentionally funny so much as more smart assery.

It's also the first film in awhile that fits the ole action nugget "Die Hard on/in a .....". The confined space is the White House and there are passageways, tunnels and things that make the moments feel very DH-esque.

It would be a theater recommendation for sure.
Old March 18 2013, 08:52 PM   #160
od0_ital
Admiral

^

I've got passes to see it this week, but if its gonna open on Friday, I'll just see it at my work if we get it.
Old March 18 2013, 09:05 PM   #161
od0_ital
Admiral

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III - free admission
Safe - DVD
The Mechanic - DVD
Jack the Giand Slayer 3D - free admission
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - free admission
The Wiz - free admission
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Unrated Exteded Edition - DVD
Jay and Silent Bob Go Down Under - Netflix Instant
Lewis Black: In God We Rust - Netflix Instant
Jackass: The Movie - Unrated - Netflix Instant
Mardi Gras Massacre - free admission
Battle Beyond the Stars - Netflix Instant
Oz the Great and Powerful 3D - free admission
Nashville - free admission
Fat Man Little Boy - Netflix Instant
Craig Ferguson: I'm Here to Help - Netflix Instant
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - free admission
Josie and the Pussycats - free admission

Found BBtS, an old '80s scifi movie starrin' Richard Thomas & George Peppard. I know I must have seen this movie when I was a kid, 'cause some of it was pretty familiar, especially Peppard's mayday call.

But, I'm countin' it as a new to me movie, 'cause its been over a million years since I watched it.

When I went into work to get my paycheck & schedule, and stuck around to see Oz in 3D. I thought it was alright, kinda silly, and the china girl was the most awesome part. Especially when she pulled a knife...

Watched the second season of Boardwalk Empire over the weekend.

Went over to the Ritz yesterday afternoon to see Nashville, an old Robert Altman film from the '70s. Ronee Blakely was there, and did a Q&A afterwards. And I got her to autograph my movie ticket.

Watchin' FMLB, a standup thing with two of the guys from Broken Lizard talkin' to a crowd in San Francisco.

- edit, to add -

Watched the latest Craig Ferguson stand up, produced by Netflix & filmed in D.C.

Pretty funny, of course, and makes me want to see him live again.

And I'm currently sittin' front row center-ish of Theater #2 at the Drafthouse Ritz, waitin' for Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

BMtHoAG was a pretty good movie. Took me awhile while watchin' it, but I was able to figure out where I knew "Bennie" from - he also played Sgt "Big Toe" Hulka in Stripes.

Followed the Sam Peckinpah movie in Theater #2 with Musc Monday's showin' of Josie and the Pussycats in Theater #1 at the Ritz.

Dear lord, is there a single frame of that movie that doesn't have product placement?

Last edited by od0_ital; March 19 2013 at 06:20 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:06 PM   #162
Agent Richard07
Admiral

43. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part I (✩✩✩) - Download - I thought it was a bit slow, but it was nice to see a live-action version of the famous graphic novel and I liked how they integrated a number of the book's memorable panels into the action.

44. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part II (✩✩✩) - Download - I didn't think Superman would show up, but they did indeed stay true to the source material and included him. In the end, I think I prefer The Dark Knight Rises. It had a better balance of story and action.

45. Midnight in Paris (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - Finally saw this. Owen Wilson was Owen Wilson (and nicely dressed too), Rachel McAdams was ravishing, Paris was vibrant (no orange & teal or washed out colors here) and the story was a fun and novel concept. I really liked it. And I thought I recognized the museum guide. I was surprised to see that it was Carla Bruni.

Blu-ray: 5
Download: 11

Last edited by Agent Richard07; March 19 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old March 19 2013, 08:37 PM   #163
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

26. Olympus Has Fallen: A-
27. The Lives of Others: B+ (German film)

The movie is about 7yrs old so I've written a mostly detailed synopsis. It does contain SPOILERS, read at your discretion.

SPOILERS
The story takes place in 1984 and focuses on the East German/Berlin Stasi agents of the GDR. The Stasi are the enforcers of the communist regime, in place to make sure the populace isn't being influenced by "Western" culture or that they are sympathetic to that culture. I would call the Stasi the secret police(and maybe they were) but everyone in the film is aware of them and their power.

The focus is on a playwright named Dreyman, his leading lady and lover Christa, a GDR Minister of something named Hempf along with our Stasi enforcers Grubitz(head of the division) and his trusted agent Wiesler.

My first foreign film this year and I must say I really enjoyed it. Since the film is about 7yrs old I hope that semi-thourough review is ok by those participating in the thread.
Old March 21 2013, 03:17 AM   #164
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+
11) It Could Happen To You - B+
12) Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - A+
13) Mirror, Mirror - A

A great cast, especially Julia Roberts, who is somehow palatable as the Evil Queen. Props also go to Artie Hammer, never heard of him before, but hope to see more of him.

There was just something about it that made me enjoy it.
Old March 21 2013, 04:22 AM   #165
od0_ital
Admiral

^

Ya should watch The Social Network - Arnie Hammer played the twins that sued over Facebook.

And he's gonna be in The Lone Ranger this summer.