Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 2 2013, 04:20 PM   #136
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

35. Seven Psychopaths (✩✩½) - Download - Written and directed by the same guy who did In Bruges. I really enjoyed that movie, but was disappointed in this one. It didn't have the same wit or charm.

Theatre: 5
Blu-ray: 3
DVD: 10
Live TV: 10
Netflix: 0
Download: 7
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:22 PM   #137
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Life of Pi ★★★★
The Sessions ★★★★
The Possession ★½
Mama ★★½
Warm Bodies ★★★½
Side Effects ★★★
This Means War ★★★
The Loved Ones ★★
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 05:26 AM   #138
CaptainCanada
Admiral

26. Quantum of Solace (B-)

The middle child of the Craig movies (so far). I didn't actually see this in theatres; it came out at a period when my film viewing was on the wane, and the reviews didn't particularly motivate me to see it.

For a movie that's under two hours, it has quite a lot going on in its plot, and quite a bit of the elements are intriguing (the stabs at realpolitik, for example, though the movie's idea of South American politics seems a few decades out of date). But it never quite comes together -- as is now widely admitted, the writers' strike has a lot to do with that, but Marc Forster's direction is distracting in much of the movie. The villains aren't really memorable, either; Mr. White, the carryover from the last film, is easily more memorable than the main villains in either of the first two Craig movies.

Cinema: 7
Home Video: 18 (+1)
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 09:53 PM   #139
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III - free admission
Safe - DVD
The Mechanic - DVD

Found a couple of Jason Statham movies for cheap at Wal-Mart the other night.

Watched Safe first, 'cause the Drafthouse showed the trailer a lot last spring, but didn't show the movie, so I couldn't get to it for free.

I thought it was alright, not a great action movie, but it got the job done. And there is a bit of a twist to the mano y mano fight for the end that was suprisingingly awesome.

Followed that up with The Mechanic, which has the added bonus of includin' Ben Foster as Statham's protoge.

I've liked Ben Foster quite a bit, especially in 3:10 to Yuma.

And here, in a story about a contract killer, he's pretty good, too. I thought it was interestin' how Statham's Arthur did great on his own, but each job goes to hell once he takes on his boss' son.

Nice supportin' turn for Donald Sutherland, too.

Got a plan to head in early to see Jack the Giant Slayer 3D this evenin'...
Old March 4 2013, 04:34 AM   #140
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman (7)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Dragon Lord (6)
Gangster Squad (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
The Illusionist (10)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (6)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Tripping the Rift: The Movie (6)
Tucker and Dale VS Evil (6)
Twin Dragons (7)

Current Total: 19
Old March 4 2013, 05:47 AM   #141
CaptainCanada
Admiral

27. Contact (B+)

This used to run on TBS a lot, so I saw it a few times, but this was my first watch in several years. If nothing, it reminds one how good it is to have Robert Zemeckis back making live action movies, after a squandered decade, because few directors would attempt a movie like this (or get the money for it).

All the same, not a perfect movie by any means. The idea to focus on the real-world political/societal conflicts around first contact is a good one, but some aspects are seriously oversimplified; notably, the science/religion dichotomy more or less treats religion as a monolith, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Drumlin wins the initial job by making a big show of his belief in God, by which he presumbly means the Christian God, but you would think this would raise a huge interfaith controversy that the movie totally ignores (it's a bit unfair, I guess, but one tends to be more rigourous with movies that obviously have a brain in their head). As well, the "realistic" explanation proposed by James Woods' character at the end of the movie is so transparently preposterous that it's very hard to see why anyone would believe it.

That said, it's quite an interesting piece of work, featuring an amazing lead performance from Jodie Foster. Matthew McConaughey is a really odd choice for the sort of role he plays; he's not bad, by any means, but it's weird. The whole thing also makes a very interesting time capsule of mid-1990s culture and concerns (and technology).

Home Video: 19 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old March 4 2013, 07:06 AM   #142
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Academy Award Consideration Screeners:
Silver Linings Playbook
Les Miserables
Flight
Promised Land
Looper
Skyfall
The Dark Knight Rises
Wreck-It Ralph
End of Watch
Lincoln
Django Unchained
Argo

At the Theater:
Django Unchained
A Good Day To Die Hard

Phantom

Netflix DVD Rental:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
The Legend of Zorro
Terminator Salvation
Love and Other Drugs
W.
Emma
Quantum of Solace
Insomnia
The Incredible Hulk
The Avengers
Wonder Woman
Iron Man
The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn, Part II

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 5 2013 at 04:59 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:52 PM   #143
Agent Richard07
Retired

36. Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle (✩✩✩½) - YouTube - This film was released to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Super Sentai, the Japanese version of Power Rangers. This is the first time I've seen the Japanese version (it was also the first time I watched anything on YouTube on my television). It was nice to see how differently they do things. Most noteable is a more mature tone that wouldn't be too kid friendly in the west. If I'm not mistaken, this movie will become part of the current season of Power Rangers called Power Rangers Megaforce.

Theatre: 5
Blu-ray: 3
DVD: 10
Live TV: 10
Netflix: 0
Download: 7
YouTube: 1
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2013, 04:54 AM   #144
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

7) Identity Thief - A
8) We Bought A Zoo - A-

9) The Ides of March - B+
10) Top Gun - C+

Sure, it's the prototypical guy movie, but god this has no plot. Tom Cruise is brash, Tom Cruise has traumatic moment, Tom Cruise hits his low point, Tom Cruise is redeemed.

It's a popcorn flick, nothing else.

11) It Could Happen To You - B+

This is an old Nicolas Cage film and it was on the Family Channel, so you can tell it's going to be a good family movie. Cage's beat cop meets a down on her luck waitress played by Bridget Fonda and offers to split the winnings of a lottery ticket when he doesn't have a tip for lunch. He wins $4 million dollars and being the upstanding man he is, keeps his word.

His wife, who is written over the top, is less than impressed and of course Cage and Fonda fall in love. But somehow it makes you care.
Old March 5 2013, 05:44 PM   #145
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III - free admission
Safe - DVD
The Mechanic - DVD
Jack the Giand Slayer 3D - free admission
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - free admission
The Wiz - free admission

I went into work early Sunday night to see JtGS 3D show.

I didn't care for it much...yeah, its an update of a fairy tale, so the villians are obvious, the endin' is telegraphed, and the story is pretty simple all the way through. But that's no excuse for bad CGI and a cash grab for 3D upcharges.

I did like Ewan McGregor's captain of the guard, though. He was a fun character.

Went to the Ritz last night for a couple of movies.

HP:AYitT is a Werner Herzog documentary about a village in the middle of Siberia. Herzog basically follows a hunter around from spring to winter, while also pickin' out a few others in the village to highlight, like the WWII veteran, the guy who makes dugout canoes, the local drunks who do menial labor, and so on.

I thought it was an interestin' look at a way of life that would kill me. So, of course, afterward, I overheard a couple of guys talkin' in the restroom about how they could live like that, givin' the proper skill set. Assholes.

I followed that up with my first viewin' of The Wiz, the urban update of The Wizard of Oz with Diana Ross, Michael Jackson & Richard Pryor. That must have been the easiest payday for Pryor, ever.

It was silly and over the top and it took me forever to figure out the thing on Michael Jackson's nose was a peanut butter cup wrapper!

Got a plan to attend the employee screenin' of Wrong, the next movie from Drafthouse Films, tonight.
Old March 6 2013, 01:07 AM   #146
CaptainCanada
Admiral

28. Wooden Crosses (A-)

The other movie that came in the Criterion Eclipse collection of Raymond Bernard's early sound films, this is a 1932 war epic following soon on the heels of All Quiet on the Western Front, to which it makes a good companion piece. Like that movie, it's about a newcomer to the First World War, and his loss of ideals; it's less character-centred than the earlier movie, and, as with Les Miserables, Bernard has a tendency to lose his characters for long stretches in the middle of big sweeping scenes with crowds (battles, in this case). But those battle scenes are truly stunning -- literally decades ahead of their time. The effects, editing, and camerawork are amazing.

Home Video: 20 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old March 7 2013, 05:17 PM   #147
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

19. Fling: C
20. Ask the Dust: D+
21. Mulan: A-
22. The Lovely Bones: B
23. The Initiation of Sarah: D

Wow, just WOW, this had to have been either DDVD or a TV movie tele-film cause it's pretty bad. It came up in Netflix as a recommendation cause of other Summer Gleau films I'd seen. I read the description and thought, ok, competing witch covens disguised as sororities both seeking the powerful "one". It also has Jennifer Tilly(house mistress of the "good" coven) representing Gaea an the Earth goddess and Morgan Fairchild--let that sink in--who is the "mother" of the twin girls, of which Summer is one, that might be "the one". Summer(I don't even recall the characters names other than Sarah cause I don't know that actress) plays the daughter whose always bent over backward or been forced to comply to things cause Sarah was unusual. They had a dorky nickname in high school and Summer's character is ready for a fresh start and their "mother" has told them all about how great the "evil" sorority is.

The evil sorority is of course tied in with demons and it seems the blood of "the one" is required by the demon to grant the women of the sorority their power and pseudo immortality. If the demon can't have "the one" the blood of a virgin always buys time and it seem Sarah's new love interest is one and they capture him to force her hand. Once she and him escape she promptly does what needs to be done to save him....she has sex with him.

We find out that both twins contain the blood power the demon wants and the evil coven turns on Summer and are going to sacrifice her. Sarah stops them and the film ends with the good coven marching down the street of soroity row in their cloaks, in the dark with leaves blowing while a rock ballad plays.

Pretty bad but saved from an outright F grade cause it was, unintentionally, funny enough and the affects weren't quite Art Asylum bad. It was such a state of bizarre that I kinda kept watching to see if it would redeem itself or just get cheesier.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 12:11 AM   #148
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman (7)
Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Blood-C: The Last Dark (6)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Dragon Lord (6)
Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Pheonix (8)
Gangster Squad (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
The Illusionist (10)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Metal Skin Panic: Madox 01 (6)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Rurouni Kenshin (2012) (8)
Tripping the Rift: The Movie (6)
Tucker and Dale VS Evil (6)
Twin Dragons (7)

Current Total: 22

Last edited by zakkrusz; March 8 2013 at 02:02 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 06:33 AM   #149
CaptainCanada
Admiral

29. American Graffiti (A-)

Damn, George, what happened? How did you go from this to the painfully unreal inhabitants of the Prequel Trilogy?

Home Video: 21 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old March 11 2013, 05:50 AM   #150
CaptainCanada
Admiral

30. The Silence of the Lambs (A)

It was all downhill from here for Hannibal Lecter: next up is a TV series on NBC.

I recall seeing large pieces of this before, mainly on TV, but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the whole thing before. Watched from two decades' remove, the movie holds up, though many of the things that were novel at the time have become quite familiar, as Silence's DNA has seeded the vast majority of Hollywood crime movies and TV made since in one way or another. Foster and Hopkins carry the movie, obviously (though it's easy to overlook how little Hopkins is actually onscreen

31. Gone Baby, Gone (A)

Fresh off Ben Affleck's ultimate triumph at the Academy Awards, time to revisit his first film, which I had considered his best work still. Affleck seems to have settled into casting himself as the lead, which makes this seem retroactively somewhat uncharacteristic; though it's just Casey Affleck, so maybe close enough. This is a pretty terrific modern noir, and the most effective character piece of Affleck's three films so far (it's not as tightly plotted as the others, but that's the nature of the genre). I think Michelle Monaghan's character could have used a bit more development, to give the ending weight.

Home Video: 23 (+2)

- Homer Simpson