Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 9 2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

Want to go to Mars? Now's your chance!

http://news.yahoo.com/wanted-mars-co...204754693.html

If you think you have the right stuff to help colonize Mars, you'll soon get your chance to prove it.
The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One, which hopes to put the first boots on the Red Planet in 2023, released its basic astronaut requirements today (Jan. 8), setting the stage for a televised global selection process that will begin later this year.
Mars One isn't zeroing in on scientists or former fighter pilots; anyone who is at least 18 years old can apply to become a Mars colony pioneer. The most important criteria, officials say, are intelligence, good mental and physical health and dedication to the project, as astronauts will undergo eight years of training before launch.

"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical director and a former NASA researcher, said in a statement. "Now, we are more concerned with how well each astronaut works and lives with the others, in the long journey from Earth to Mars and for a lifetime of challenges ahead."
Mars One plans to launch a series of robotic cargo missions between 2016 and 2021, which will build a habitable Red Planet outpost ahead of the arrival of the first four colonists in 2023. More settlers will arrive every two years after that. There are no plans to return the pioneers to Earth.
I love that last line...
Old January 9 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Re: Want to go to Mars? Now's your chance!

Ahnuld says:

Get your ass to Mars.
Old January 9 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

It's one thing to want to go to Mars, but move there is a different matter.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

So it's like Big Brother, only we ship the selected oddballs off planet and banish them to the Martian wastes?
Old January 9 2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

I AM SO THERE

So much free land, and all for the taking!!
Old January 9 2013, 03:53 PM   #6
throwback
Captain

I will have to say, no thanks.

They recently completed a study involving a simulated flight plan to Mars. The results were discouraging. By the time the crew had completed their mission, four of the six volunteers were suffering from depression, isolation, and irregular sleep patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8wwidQOAg

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com....php?id=240658

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2426893.html

I think they need to concentrate on building faster and bigger ships. Bigger ships will give the crew members the privacy they need.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:07 PM   #7
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I think they'd be lucky to have people on Mars in 20 years. Ten years is laughable.

And just three to start launching robotic cargo missions? You'd need the hardware pretty much already designed, since you'd want to build and test it before the actual mission. I certainly wouldn't want to have my life dependent on untested hardware.
Old January 9 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

There won't be any takers for a one-way trip.
Old January 9 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Pingfah
Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
I will have to say, no thanks.

They recently completed a study involving a simulated flight plan to Mars. The results were discouraging. By the time the crew had completed their mission, four of the six volunteers were suffering from depression, isolation, and irregular sleep patterns.

Well, I'm sure that's not the attitude they'll be looking for. It's a trip to Mars, not Disneyland, a little hardship is to be expected
Old January 9 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Scout101
Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
There won't be any takers for a one-way trip.
Oh, I dunno, bet they'd still have a line going. More takers if it looked like they had half a plan for actually living there. We can probably SEND people to Mars in the next 10 years, but need a ton more planning on how to survive there, rather than just barely getting people there and having them dead or bored to tears 20 minutes later.

half a plan, functioning shelter/bio-dome situation, new equipment and suits, and you'd get people to sign up for a 1-way mission. Especially if they do it it pairs, or at least plan that way. Hard Scientists' wet dream, most likely.

Plus, certain prestige in being first man on Mars, no? You'd be in the history books, and name would live forever. Definitely appeal in that. And seeing as how they seem like they're rushing it, you'd likely also be the first human to die outside of Earth's atmosphere in short order, so you might be in the history books TWICE if you live long enough to land on Mars...

Discover something major, like evidence of past life on Mars, and you make an even BIGGER splash. Just 10-15 years of beaming reports of rock collection and whatnot would already be a huge leap in science, but if you found something BIG...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:09 PM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

Mars One will never get the money to get anything to Mars.
Old January 9 2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

People will only go if there's a genuine chance to come back. Even the most gung-ho space cadet on the planet will have enough nous to have this in his contract.
Old January 9 2013, 06:44 PM   #13
MacLeod
Admiral

I think 2030 would be a far more realistic date for a manned mission to Mars. And yes hardship is to be expected.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
People will only go if there's a genuine chance to come back. Even the most gung-ho space cadet on the planet will have enough nous to have this in his contract.
I think they'd get takers, but a large number of them might not be well-adjusted to society, which could be part of the motivation for leaving.
Old January 9 2013, 08:40 PM   #15
ThankQ
Admiral

Mars have wifi?