Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 30 2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Security Chief Kim...really?

I tried reading the Voyager Relaunch books, but they were just so bland that I gave up.

Here they had the chance to introduce some amazing new characters, but aside from the Trill doctor they were all human and pretty weak. Why did they not have a new Cardassian helm officer? Someone who would be a great source of conflict fo the former Maquis that remained aboard, or other little things like that? I can't stand when crews are written and they follow the TV theme of lots of humans. Alien characters are often far more interesting and have great perspectives to read from.

But the one thing I found really pretty unbelievable was Harry Kim becoming the new Security Chief. Promote him yes, but leave him at Ops. There was nothing in the series that ever made him out to be a tactican or a fighter, so where did that come from?
Old December 30 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Brit
Captain

Re: Security Chief Kim...really?

What you are talking about is an original character book, like Peter David's New Frontier books. There is nothing wrong with that desire, it's just not "Voyager". Next Gen books need to be about Next Gen characters, and the same with DS9 and Voyager. There are whole groups of people that buy Voyager books and expect to read about Voyager characters.

Perhaps one of the author's will set new characters on another Intrepid Starship.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ops is a job for an Ensign.

It's a waste of resources to use a higher rank.

If Harry wanted to get promoted on Voyager in the DQ, he had to give up Ops and move to a larger department that had room for advancement.

Security?

Security was folded into tactical with Tuvok.

Was that because Tuvok was so awesome that he could wear two hats or was it just that the ship was so small? If it was just because the ship was small, does that mean that Kim is such a dunce that he has to wear half a hat?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Alien characters are often far more interesting and have great perspectives to read from.
Writers on the series seemed to have a easier time exploring alien societies and expanding alien characters, than doing the same thing with the Humans.

With very few exceptions, most Humans were the same people when we last saw them, as when we first saw them.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:46 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

But the one thing I found really pretty unbelievable was Harry Kim becoming the new Security Chief. Promote him yes, but leave him at Ops. There was nothing in the series that ever made him out to be a tactican or a fighter, so where did that come from?
Operations is really a related field--monitoring all of the ship's systems and reporting anything amiss both aboard the ship and outside of it.
Old December 30 2012, 10:48 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Voyager didn't use the Maquis to any effect during the show, so I'm not sure why you expected them to in the books.
Old December 30 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I've been watching some DS9 and Worf keeps saying something in Klingon and then qualifying "There is no human word for this" and then he finishes explaining this completely Klingon concept and I think Bullshit! Because it's always either horny, angry , a death threat or some combination of the three.

Sometimes the lengths the writers go to prove an aliens alieness is so obtuse.

In the aftermath of the baseball game episode where the evil Vulcan is mocking the human sentiment at the end i found it hilarious when Ezri says "Human? What? Human? Me? Did I forget to put my spots on this morning?"

Old December 30 2012, 11:02 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Read Kirsten Beyers books. They are light-years above the first four post-"Endgame" books.
Old December 30 2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I don't want to complain too much about the books, after all Janeway is back but Kim as Security Chief is just one of those details I don't like. I mean, there must have been a lot of people in Tuvok's security Team who would have been better suited for that job.

As for other characters, Dalby, Rollins, Ayala, well there must have been someone.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 12:12 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
Writers on the series seemed to have a easier time exploring alien societies and expanding alien characters, than doing the same thing with the Humans.
That's because they just give them their culture as their personality. With humans we are too familiar with the mono-vanilla culture that is Federation earth so we need actual personality traits.

Lynx wrote: View Post
I don't want to complain too much about the books, after all Janeway is back but Kim as Security Chief is just one of those details I don't like. I mean, there must have been a lot of people in Tuvok's security Team who would have been better suited for that job.

As for other characters, Dalby, Rollins, Ayala, well there must have been someone.
That was so completely retarded. I wouldn't call Kim to clean up in aisle 9 much less deal with alien intruders. There is nothing in his personality that leads to this. Paris would do a far better job of it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Who was the tactical Officer/Security Chief in Resolutions when Captain Tuvok had the con?

Old December 31 2012, 03:49 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Ayala? He always seemed to take over at tactical when Tuvok was unavailable.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 03:54 AM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Lieutenant Ayala?

Why on Earth would Lieutenant Ayala be further up the command totem than Ensign Kim?

Old December 31 2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The same could be said of Chekov yet apperently he was the Enterprise-A security chief.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Pavel_Chekov

Upon returning to the 23rd century, Chekov and his shipmates faced court martial for their actions. However, they were eventually cleared of all charges and Chekov was reassigned as second officer, navigator and security chief on the USS Enterprise-A. (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
Just a guess but this is probably one of the reasons why the author got the idea to make Kim security chief of Voyager.
Old December 31 2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That Russian was already Security Chief as of the Motionless Picture.

You'll remember the bald girl in the navigators seat on the bridge?

She was Miss India once upon a time.

I doubt she would have still won with such a shorn doo.