TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 2 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
New Candid Denise Crosby Interview

I recently sat down with Denise Crosby for a special interview about her time on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

She was refreshingly candid and open, and reflected on her time on the show as well as recalling strange encounters with Rick Berman, a possible Trekkies 3 and her conspicuous absence from Star Trek: Nemesis.

She was ever so gracious, and I hope you enjoy reading!

http://trekcore.com/interviews/denis...interview.html

Old January 2 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: New Candid Denise Crosby Interview

Will check this out... can't wait to read about strange encounters with Rick Berman. I'm sure he's somewhere right now, being strange and creepy to someone. Hopefully some Trek fans.

EDIT: Just read it... "we can't see any way that Sela would be around." - Berman. What a fuck nut. Sela in Nemesis would have been genius. Great interview, though!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Interesting interview, even though while I understand her frustrations about Season 1, what I would love to know (And maybe I missed it in the interview) is what made her change from "I didn't want to be standing there with nothing to do" to "I want to come back and be fully entrenched into the Star Trek Franchise by doing 2 (And possibly 3) documentaries about the fans". It's a question like that which I hope to see in the Season 3 documentary.

Also, interesting tidbit about her being asked about Nemesis. Berman said he couldn't see Sela coming back and here I am thinking, "I can". Man if I had done Nemesis and brought back Nimoy (If he would want to do it), Katsulas, and Denise Crosby as Sela, I think that movie could have been one of the best films in the franchise.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I haven't read the interview. But I wanted to comment on the "no Sela in Nemesis" idea.

In-universe, I can believe never seeing Sela again.

She got bested in her involvement in the Klingon Civil War. Not so good for her.

Then she was again thwarted in the Vulcan Invasion operation. Two big failures on her record.

After those two botched operations, I can see Sela getting "disappeared" by the Tal Shiar. Or at least removed from front-line command and placed in a position never to be seen again.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

A rather mean thing to do, pull off the communicator and say you won't be needing this anymore.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 09:52 PM   #6
billcosby
Commodore

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I haven't read the interview. But I wanted to comment on the "no Sela in Nemesis" idea.

In-universe, I can believe never seeing Sela again.

She got bested in her involvement in the Klingon Civil War. Not so good for her.

Then she was again thwarted in the Vulcan Invasion operation. Two big failures on her record.

After those two botched operations, I can see Sela getting "disappeared" by the Tal Shiar. Or at least removed from front-line command and placed in a position never to be seen again.
Well... regardless of those facts she's Tasha Yar's daughter. That alone makes it worth seeing her again. Especially in a film that was supposedly meant to serve as a wrap up of the series as a whole.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

I noted her absence in the 25th anniversary reunion on the S2 bluray set.

I can understand why she wasn't there, not being part of most of the series and the movies that followed, but she was a main cast member in the first season, and returned both as that character in one of the most highly regarded episodes (Yesterday's Enterprise); as Sela; and was included in the finale.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I dunno, it always seemed to me Crosby got out of Trek as quick as she could and then spent the time since doing her best to get back into it. Her reasoning behind that seemed a bit vague, but mistakes happen.

It was interesting to learn she did inquire about Nemesis. More interesting to say they couldn't find a place for her. You could've subbed in Sela for Donatra and really wouldn't have had to change her lines. Heck a half-human Sela hitting on Shinzon would make a twisted kind of sense.
Old January 2 2013, 11:49 PM   #9
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Heck a half-human Sela hitting on Shinzon would make a twisted kind of sense.
So would brain bleach, which I now need.
Old January 2 2013, 11:53 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Heck a half-human Sela hitting on Shinzon would make a twisted kind of sense.
So would brain bleach, which I now need.
Old January 2 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Dream
Admiral

I dunno, it always seemed to me Crosby got out of Trek as quick as she could and then spent the time since doing her best to get back into it.
Crosby should have stuck to her guns and stayed off TNG if she thought TNG would never amount to anything.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:28 AM   #12
davejames
Vice Admiral

I dunno, it always seemed to me Crosby got out of Trek as quick as she could and then spent the time since doing her best to get back into it. Her reasoning behind that seemed a bit vague, but mistakes happen.
Well to be fair to her, the writing DID improve substantially after the second season. It's not like she was begging to get back onto a subpar show with bad writing.

Like everyone else, she saw that the storytelling improved and she wanted to be a part of it. I don't see anything shameful about that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Another wasted opportunity was for DS9 during the Dominion War arc.

She could have played Sela as the stubborn Romulan stationed aboard DS9.

Could have lasted all the way up into the finale. Would have been interesting.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:02 AM   #14
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Like everyone else, she saw that the storytelling improved and she wanted to be a part of it. I don't see anything shameful about that.
Nor I. In the first season she had a great speech in the premiere, a goofy episode involving closeups of her posterior and trying to have sex with Data, and another goofy episode where she fought a misogynist culture. All of that happened in the first four episodes, and her involvement in the rest of the season was mostly security officer stuff with an occasional memorable scene peppered in (I fondly remember her "penalty box" speech), but nothing that really focused on her. Heck, even "Skin of Evil" wasn't really about her either. Harry Kim had more to do than she did in his first year.

I'm sure she understood that this was an ensemble show, but even that level of involvement would make her justifiably worry about what she'd be doing in the second season onwards. Her character had some pretty tragic origins, something that the writers may even have wanted to steer clear on (really, who wants to write about "rape gangs"?).

Really though, her departure strengthened the show - one less character to juggle. I would have liked to see more Tasha, since what we got was good and well delivered. But Crosby gambled on moving on, as actors often do. IMO she lost (yay, "The Eliminators"!) but hey - that's the biz.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:06 AM   #15
Bumbles861
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Also, interesting tidbit about her being asked about Nemesis. Berman said he couldn't see Sela coming back and here I am thinking, "I can". Man if I had done Nemesis and brought back Nimoy (If he would want to do it), Katsulas, and Denise Crosby as Sela, I think that movie could have been one of the best films in the franchise.
There are dozens of ways they could have brought Sela back, but I especially like this. I think this crew would have made for an amazing story and would have been wildly successful.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote