Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 2 2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: Gul Dukat thoughts...

I just finished viewing the entire DS9. Gul Dukat was by far one of my favorite characters and his evloution throughout the series was interesting. It seemed in the beginning he was more of a, for a lack of a better term, ally to Sisko when they consulted him about issues with the spacestation and such. I was happy to see him gain a larger role and how he seemed to portray some likable qualities (such as his genuine love for his daughter) but then he once again devolved into the scheming tyrant that he truly was by the end of the series.

I think with Winn, more so than any other character, we were able to see Dukat's manipulative abilities at work. Granted of course she didn't know who he was since he was a "Bajoran" at the time, but once she discovered his true identity it was too late for Winn, she was already corrupted.

Overall, I liked Dukat alot. I liked all of the Cardassian characters actually. I think their race was well protrayed throughout the series.
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:20 AM   #17
JaxsBrokenHeart
Lieutenant

What I always wondered was if Dukat's desires no matter how self serving (getting Sisko's respect, Kira's admiration/attraction, Bajoran worship, Cardassian strength, Damar's loyalty) had been more fulfilled, if he'd been as willing to join up with the Dominion like he did

While its easy to infer that he was simply too in love with personal power to not try and regain it, there's some scenes in season 4 that do make me wonder if a couple of things had gone another way, then he perhaps would have remained an ally to Sisko and company. Still a self serving, delusional, egotist who would never cop to what he did during the occupation, but one who have gotten enough validation (however credible) to not have to get it through an alliance with the Dominion.
JaxsBrokenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Alaimo's delivery of the line after his big reveal of treachery that it never quite felt right Dukat and Sisko being on the same side never sat right with me. It felt like the show saying, yeah we're going back to the arch villain route with this guy. Can't say I missed him playing pirate on that rinky dinky BoP, but it just didn't sit right with me.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 03:08 PM   #19
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Dukat is endlessly fascinating to me. Everything he ever does is an act of sheer hypocrisy. He's a child that never grew up and the most emotionally vulnerable character on the show, despite the badass persona he adopts.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:26 PM   #20
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Melakon wrote: View Post
A large part of Dukat's success has to go to Marc Alaimo. The character might not have been as riveting with a different actor's interpretation. Nearly every word out of Dukat's mouth drips with condescending insincerity.
You are so right about that. I don't think anyone else could have made me love Dukat like Alaimo did. I can't even imagine.
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:23 AM   #21
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile

He's my favourite villian in the whole of Star Trek (probably due to getting lots of screen time and time to flesh him out) how he came across to me to start with was a very patriotic figure who loves the Cardassian Union. I don't think he was ever truly happy at leaving DS9 and kind of sticks around as a sort of ally because of his attatchment to the place. He also strikes me as a character who thinks he was doing what was best for his people and possibly overestimated the dominion and definitely underestimated the federation and the federations ability to unite the romulans and klingons to help and then it blew up in his face.
Antni is offline   Reply With Quote