Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 31 2012, 01:14 AM   #166
ITL
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Santa Hooves wrote: View Post
I'm glad it got a reboot for several reasons:

A) We were never going to see another TNG movie. The returns just weren't there. Not only that, but there wasn't even the faintest hint of a DS9/VOY/ENT movie, again, because the returns weren't going to be there. TNG was a highly rated TV series, and by their 4th outing, they had fizzled. It happens, but contrary to the wishes of a number of fans, subsequent series movies were not in the cards, and will not happen, not in the usable lifetimes of the actors in said series.

B) I was thrilled to see the original crew taken in a new direction, and I wasn't disappointed. I think STXI was exactly what Star Trek needed. Fresh faces, updated technology, and out from under the burden of a top heavy in-universe canon.

I look forward to STXII. I expect it to be fun, fast paced, and loaded with adventure. I don't think it will disappoint.
You said several. I am disappoint. More, please.
Old December 31 2012, 01:25 AM   #167
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

B) I was thrilled to see the original crew taken in a new direction
The new direction of them all sat in the Enterprise saving the Earth?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:00 AM   #168
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That post does not provide any evidence that you actually saw the movie; there's a whole lot less "sitting around the Enterprise" in Abrams's Trek than trekkies are accustomed to.

How about the new direction of all the characters not standing around chattering superficially but at length about alleged Big Ideas while boring the audience to tears?

That's certainly been an improvement.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:17 AM   #169
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
How about the new direction of all the characters not standing around chattering superficially but at length about alleged Big Ideas while boring the audience to tears?

Some of us find sci-fi ideas more interesting than "BUCKLE UP! FIRE EVERYTHING!" lens flare shenanigans.

Still, I think it's best to judge JJ-Trek on the following film really. Star Trek 2009 made Star Trek a sell to the public again and that's what it's best to consider it as. It's up to this next film to deliver on ideas and exploration. I really hope there's more meat to the film than the trailers are giving us.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:19 AM   #170
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Shazam! wrote: View Post
It was just like the original with all the running, battles, swordfights and gun fights all cut together in a fast paced and exciting way.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:20 AM   #171
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

That post does not provide any evidence that you actually saw TOS

A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
It was just like the original with all the running, battles, swordfights and gun fights all cut together in a fast paced and exciting way.
So less of a new direction and more of a new editor then.
Old December 31 2012, 02:24 AM   #172
SeerSGB
Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post

Some of us find sci-fi ideas more interesting than "FIRE EVERYTHING!" lens flare shenanigans.

Still, I think it's best to judge JJ-Trek on the following film really. Star Trek 2009 made Star Trek a sell to the public again and that's what it's best to consider it as. It's up to this next film to deliver on ideas and exploration.
Yeah, cause no Trek movie has had a big space battle or was exploration focused. I'm mean look at TMP, uh no that was about saving the Earth, but close... II...Uh III...okay IV, no that was time travel to stop the destruction of Earth...V, there you go that was about exploration--sort of...VI? no...Generations? No....FC? Oh hell no. Insurrection, meh exploration but still cashed in one the ground and space battles...Nemesis, yeah not really mostly the battle but it wasn't Earth focused, except for Nero trying to destroy the Earth.

Trek movies have never really been about exploration.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:28 AM   #173
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I'd say The Motion Picture is a film about journeying in to the alien and unknown, with a strong emphasis on sci-fi ideas over action.

Why it's my favourite .
Old December 31 2012, 02:28 AM   #174
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, cause no Trek movie has had a big space battle or was exploration focused. I'm mean look at TMP, uh no that was about saving the Earth, but close... II...Uh III...okay IV, no that was time travel to stop the destruction of Earth...V, there you go that was about exploration--sort of...VI? no...Generations? No....FC? Oh hell no. Insurrection, meh exploration but still cashed in one the ground and space battles...Nemesis, yeah not really mostly the battle but it wasn't Earth focused, except for Nero trying to destroy the Earth.

The difference is though, we'd had season after season of different types of stories and ideas. The creative teams had 'earned' the right to let their hair down when it came to the movies.

JJ's Trek does not have that luxury and as such feels superficial.
Old December 31 2012, 02:32 AM   #175
SeerSGB
Admiral

The difference is though, we'd had season after season of different types of stories and ideas. The creative teams had 'earned' the right to let their hair down when it came to the movies.
Still, that's a bit different than saying the movies need to get back to ideas and exploration. And look at DS9, it turned into largely Space Above and Beyond in the final years.

I'd say The Motion Picture is a film about journeying in to the alien and unknown, with a strong emphasis on sci-fi ideas over action.

Why it's my favourite .
TMP is my fav too, but it's Changeling with the serial numbers filed off. Hardly original.
Old December 31 2012, 02:33 AM   #176
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Some of us find sci-fi ideas more interesting than "FIRE EVERYTHING!" lens flare shenanigans.

Still, I think it's best to judge JJ-Trek on the following film really. Star Trek 2009 made Star Trek a sell to the public again and that's what it's best to consider it as. It's up to this next film to deliver on ideas and exploration.
Well I found the aspects of time travel, alternate universes with familiar yet different versions of characters and the characters knowing that they are branch of another timeline and that their lives were radically altered by a single event. Yet, they all seem to come together as if despite the different pasts, there is a certain fate for those characters. Kirk is meant to be captain, Pike is meant to be injured and Spock is meant to work with Kirk and eventually become Kirk's friend. You also have Spock dealing with the near extinction of his people as well as the personal trauma of seeing his mother killed in front of him.

I'm fairly sure those were ideas.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:36 AM   #177
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Still, that's a bit different than saying the movies need to get back to ideas and exploration.
Well I'm not necessarily averse to starting things off with a bang. It just came off as hollow due to its lax narrative, and even more so when we are TOLD IN THE MOVIE that we're literally watching some alternate universe characters. May as well have been a feature-length mirror universe episode.
Old December 31 2012, 02:36 AM   #178
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

TMP is my fav too, but it's Changeling with the serial numbers filed off. Hardly original.
Star Trek has rarely been original to those who know their sci-fi. It's all about the execution and the execution in TMP is superlative.
Old December 31 2012, 02:37 AM   #179
SeerSGB
Admiral

A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post

Well I found the aspects of time travel, alternate universes with familiar yet different versions of characters and the characters knowing that they are branch of another timeline and that their lives were radically altered by a single event. Yet, they all seem to come together as if despite the different pasts, there is a certain fate for those characters. Kirk is meant to be captain, Pike is meant to be injured and Spock is meant to work with Kirk and eventually become Kirk's friend. You also have Spock dealing with the near extinction of his people as well as the personal trauma of seeing his mother killed in front of him.

I'm fairly sure those were ideas.
You know how the movie felt, a little--anyone that's into anime will know what I mean, one of those anime movies that condenses down and retells the story of the series but in a 2 or 3 hours movie instead of multiple episodes. It was Do You Remember Love (not as good mind you), the same concept: Condense and retell the series in a movie format.
Old December 31 2012, 02:40 AM   #180
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek has rarely been original to those who know their sci-fi. It's all about the execution and the execution in TMP is superlative.
No its plodding and slow and tries to wow with SFX to make up for a weak storyline.

What SF ideas were explored in TMP?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote