MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 28 2012, 06:04 AM   #76
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Earth's Role

Plus it's mostly based on and around Earth and the threat is one that is aimed at Earth. Didn't they know what Star Trek is about????? ( back on topic )
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 06:26 AM   #77
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Plus it's mostly based on and around Earth and the threat is one that is aimed at Earth. Didn't they know what Star Trek is about????? ( back on topic )
True dat.

I think we have to remember that Star Trek at it's most basic is the human adventure in space. Earth is still apart of that, it's our home for God's sake.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 06:34 AM   #78
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yep, most TOS episodes were about people. Being in space or on some alien world was just "window dressing". Some of the plots would have been right at home on Bonanza.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 28 2012, 06:56 AM   #79
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Which I think was the best western (pun slightly intended) out there.

The unique thing about this movie is that Earth has been attacked, so this is no longer just a threat but an actual aftermath of an attack.

Although I think that the attack on Earth is the final confrontation.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 06:58 AM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Which I think was the best western (pun slightly intended) out there.

The unique thing about this movie is that Earth has been attacked, so this is no longer just a threat but an actual aftermath of an attack.

Well, they ain't taking the Ponderosa with out a fight!!!!

wait

what?
Old December 28 2012, 08:04 AM   #81
gottacook
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
...not even that many human beings who were directly identified as having been born anywhere other than Earth.
One of my favorite lines in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?": Miranda tells Kirk (in the rose garden, I think) "I've never been to Earth." I like Diana Muldaur's way with this line.

The Making of Star Trek (1968) includes memos that discuss why the series would never return to Earth of the present. Good reasons, as I recall. One of the selling points of TMP was that fans would finally get to see Earth, or at least Star Fleet headquarters. But that movie made it easier for later movies (in 1986, 1996, 2002, and 2009) to return to the Earth-under-threat scenario. Five such movies are already too many.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:29 PM   #82
EyalM
Captain

Is this even an Earth under threat scenario? Or are we so used to this plot device that we just assume so?
In previous movies the whole planet was indeed under threat: V'ger, the whale probe, the Borg, Shinzon and Nero all threatened to wipe out all life on the planet (kind-of, in the Borg's case). But there is nothing in the information we have to assume the threat this time is the same.
Just because there are attacks taking place on Earth, doesn't mean Earth is under attack. From the information we do have it seems that Harrison's is targeting Starfleet, which just happen to on earth, but not targeting the plant as a whole.
Old December 28 2012, 01:38 PM   #83
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

EyalM wrote: View Post
Is this even an Earth under threat scenario? Or are we so used to this plot device that we just assume so?
In previous movies the whole planet was indeed under threat: V'ger, the whale probe, the Borg, Shinzon and Nero all threatened to wipe out all life on the planet (kind-of, in the Borg's case). But there is nothing in the information we have to assume the threat this time is the same.
Just because there are attacks taking place on Earth, doesn't mean Earth is under attack. From the information we do have it seems that Harrison's is targeting Starfleet, which just happen to on earth, but not targeting the plant as a whole.
That's pretty much my understanding too.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:38 PM   #84
Jeyl
Commodore

"You think your world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you."
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:39 PM   #85
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Jeyl wrote: View Post
"You think your world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you."

Our family, our friends, our jobs, they are our world. Kirk's crew, the Enterprise and Starfleet are his world.
He's not necessarily talking about planet Earth as a whole.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 03:47 PM   #86
marksound
Fleet Captain

TMP was hindered by it's story, which was a re-write of a Phase II episode, so they filled it with CGI-heavy filler.
It was 1979. CGI hadn't been invented yet. Just sayin'.

Now, back on topic ...

I don't see what the problem is. Earth is where Starfleet lives. If you threaten Earth, you threaten Starfleet. And vice-versa.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 04:31 PM   #87
Jeyl
Commodore

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
I don't see what the problem is. Earth is where Starfleet lives. If you threaten Earth, you threaten Starfleet. And vice-versa.
What about the United Federation of Planets? The organization that Starfleet is a part of that represents multiple races working together? I'd kill to see a Star Trek movie that would involve all the races of the Federation facing a challenge that could change everything, not just the well being of Earth.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 04:47 PM   #88
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

What about the United Federation of Planets? The organization that Starfleet is a part of that represents multiple races working together? I'd kill to see a Star Trek movie that would involve all the races of the Federation facing a challenge that could change everything, not just the well being of Earth.
You do know Earth is where the Federation council and Starfleet are headquartered at right? So attacking earth kind of does affect the federation since its the federations freaking capital.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 04:51 PM   #89
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

[/QUOTE]

I think the Earth stuff happens in the first half of the movie, and it all ends on Qo'nos, since ...
Old December 28 2012, 04:51 PM   #90
Franklin
Rear Admiral

We saw that with the destruction of Vulcan in ST09. You don't think that changed everything? Further, "all the races" were involved and worked together through Starfleet. Unfortunately, they failed.