A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 23 2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Starkers
Admiral

The prequel's up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IROt...ature=youtu.be

That was sweet

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:35 PM   #2
StCoop
Commodore

Re: The prequel's up

So anyone else work out exactly what the "twist" was fifteen seconds in?

And it would be nice if the man who gets paid to write for a living would look up the word "Prequel" in a dictionary at some point.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:39 PM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

I had the twist predicted halfway through.

Interesting the Doctor is wearing is "old" costume. I was under the impression he was wearing the new darker outfit for all post-Pond episodes.
Old March 23 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

StCoop wrote: View Post
So anyone else work out exactly what the "twist" was fifteen seconds in?

And it would be nice if the man who gets paid to write for a living would look up the word "Prequel" in a dictionary at some point.
Moffat's "prequels" are more cut scenes than standalone pieces. (This one may have been better in that regard, though, as it did have a clear beginning, middle, and end.) Still, this scene would have been fine as a pre-credits teaser in the episode, much as the prequels to "Asylum of the Daleks" were necessary backstory.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Interesting the Doctor is wearing is "old" costume. I was under the impression he was wearing the new darker outfit for all post-Pond episodes.
At first I thought this took place for the Doctor between "The Angels Take Manhattan" and "The Snowmen," but then he talked about losing his friend "twice," so it has to be after.

Costuming error, I guess.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:47 PM   #6
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Yeah, actually, no. Words don't come from the dictionary, they come from writers, and they're there for them to do as they please. The dictionary is just a retirement home for words that no longer change.
Old March 23 2013, 02:00 PM   #7
StCoop
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Yeah, actually, no. Words don't come from the dictionary, they come from writers, and they're there for them to do as they please. The dictionary is just a retirement home for words that no longer change.
Banana fish, sasquatch archapeligo antediluvian xylophone. Mediterranean?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Banana fish, sasquatch archapeligo antediluvian xylophone. Mediterranean?
Sometimes.
Old March 23 2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I got the twist, and yeah hardly original, but you know what, when Matt Smith's involved I really don't care. thought it was great. As for writers pulling from the same bag of tricks, you mean like Russell T "Hang on what if the new companion had a mum who was a bit of a harridan?" Davies?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:23 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Well, truth is every writer has a set of the same tired old tropes they keep revisiting. Still doesn't make the twist in this prequel any less predictable.

That being said, this is one of Moffat's better episode prequels.
Old March 23 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Cute, but yeah, it is too reminiscent of the Doctor meeting Amy as a child first.

And yeah, words evolve, but there's no sense using a word improperly when there's already a perfectly suitable word for the thing in question. The word for this would be "prologue" or "prelude," not "prequel."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:31 PM   #12
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Cute, but yeah, it is too reminiscent of the Doctor meeting Amy as a child first.
That's true, though I suspect it's a one-off gag and we won't see young Clara anymore.

And yeah, words evolve, but there's no sense using a word improperly when there's already a perfectly suitable word for the thing in question. The word for this would be "prologue" or "prelude," not "prequel."
But a prologue or a prelude is not a separate installment, it's part of the story itself.
Old March 23 2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
But a prologue or a prelude is not a separate installment, it's part of the story itself.
That may be true of "prologue," admittedly, but the word "prelude" can often be used for an independent work that precedes a bigger, more important work.

And how do you define "part of the story itself" for a serial story? This was titled as part of "The Bells of St. John," but in content it was more a continuation of the character thread started in "Asylum of the Daleks" and "The Snowmen." Which, come to think of it, would make it more properly an interlude than a prelude.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:48 PM   #14
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
That may be true of "prologue," admittedly, but the word "prelude" can often be used for an independent work that precedes a bigger, more important work.

And how do you define "part of the story itself" for a serial story? This was titled as part of "The Bells of St. John," but in content it was more a continuation of the character thread started in "Asylum of the Daleks" and "The Snowmen." Which, come to think of it, would make it more properly an interlude than a prelude.
I think the term "prequel" was used to imply that it was attached to the "Bells of St. John" episode and that it takes place before that show, but that it's not necessarily required viewing and that you could as well see it afterwards or not at all if you so wish.
Old March 23 2013, 03:30 PM   #15
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Starkers wrote: View Post
you mean like Russell T "Hang on what if the new companion had a mum who was a bit of a harridan?" Davies?
RTD delivered the exact same series finale 4 times. It's impressive he got away with it.

I never get too bothered about these. I never even watch them again once the episode has aired. Forgotten what 99% of these TARDISodes, prequels, prologues and Pond Life episodes were even about. And I'm a hardcore Who nut.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote