TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 7 2013, 07:30 PM   #1
kirk55555
Commodore

A star trek book question

I found a book (well, two books actually) on Amazon, and they look interesting, but they have very few reviews on Amazon, and I can't find anything about them on other sites. They're

Ships of the Star Fleet

http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Star-Fle...=I99T95TS9XZHG

and

Ships of the Star Fleet: Akyazi-Class Perimeter Action Ships
http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Star-Fle...I2RF3SMXL5Y755

Does anyone know about these? Are they good? I'm a huge fan of the ship/tech part of Star Trek (I loved FJ's Manual, TNG Manual, and Mr. Scott's Guide to the enterprise). From what little info there is, they seem to be somewhat different books, but they still seem like something I'd really like. I just wonder what the general opinion on them is, and using google, and searching the forums on this site, haven't given me anything.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:01 PM   #2
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: A star trek book question

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I found a book (well, two books actually) on Amazon, and they look interesting, but they have very few reviews on Amazon, and I can't find anything about them on other sites. They're

Ships of the Star Fleet

http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Star-Fle...=I99T95TS9XZHG

and

Ships of the Star Fleet: Akyazi-Class Perimeter Action Ships
http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Star-Fle...I2RF3SMXL5Y755

Does anyone know about these? Are they good? I'm a huge fan of the ship/tech part of Star Trek (I loved FJ's Manual, TNG Manual, and Mr. Scott's Guide to the enterprise). From what little info there is, they seem to be somewhat different books, but they still seem like something I'd really like. I just wonder what the general opinion on them is, and using google, and searching the forums on this site, haven't given me anything.
These are movie-era schematics for mostly non-canonical ships, sort of spun off from the kind of work FJ did in his tech manual. Folks over on the Trek Tech forum could probably tell you more, honestly.
Old January 7 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
kirk55555
Commodore

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post

These are movie-era schematics for mostly non-canonical ships, sort of spun off from the kind of work FJ did in his tech manual. Folks over on the Trek Tech forum could probably tell you more, honestly.
I didn't know where to ask the question, since its a book I put it here. I guess I should ask it there.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Todd Guenther's books are generally well-regarded in Trek tech fandom. The Ships of the Star Fleet books are basically meant to be an in-universe equivalent of a real-life thing called Jane's Fighting Ships, an annual reference book about the world's military ship classes, featuring ship schematics and specifications, lists of all the ships in each class, overviews of their history, and the like. I have the original 1987 edition of Volume One, and I'd say it's just about the highest-quality, most professional-looking fan technical publication I owned in that era, at least in terms of the quality of the artwork, printing, paper, binding, and the like. It was kind of a prestige item as fan technical works went, or so I gathered (and mine is even a limited-edition copy signed by Guenther). Although I recall that its actual publication was delayed considerably after I paid for my copy, and there were times when I doubted it would ever arrive. I think Guenther's Mastercom Data Center company ran into some financial problems or something. Anyway, that's not an issue now, of course.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote