Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 29 2013, 09:21 PM   #661
Captain Mike
Commodore

Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Spock and Uhuru are shagging now because this Twilight-esque cross-species mopey business about a sexy ancient creature romancing a young woman is in vogue now
No.
YES
Old January 29 2013, 09:21 PM   #662
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Well, that was helpful...
As an actual Star Wars quote, it's the most on-topic this thread has been in some time.
Old January 29 2013, 09:22 PM   #663
RoJoHen
Awesome

And yet it didn't even remotely address my questions.
Old January 29 2013, 09:23 PM   #664
Captain Mike
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Star Trek isn't 2001, so shouldn't aspire to be. It shouldn't aspire to be Star Wars either.
but yet it was a "popcorn actiuon movie" that most normal fans don't give a rats ass about...
Old January 29 2013, 09:24 PM   #665
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
Star Trek isn't 2001, so shouldn't aspire to be. It shouldn't aspire to be Star Wars either.
but yet it was a "popcorn actiuon movie" that most normal fans don't give a rats ass about...
Ah.. the 'true fan' gambit where you get to define what a 'normal fan' is or like as long as that fan likes what you like?
Old January 29 2013, 09:24 PM   #666
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, I'm gonna report your vileness...
It's all good.

But I'm just really confused how someone who got an 'A' on a Hitchcock dissertation could miss the incredibly obvious clues in regards to Spock's character?
Old January 29 2013, 09:24 PM   #667
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
And yet it didn't even remotely address my questions.
I've already been called a "prick" by 2 militant Spock/Uhura shippers for giving my views so I can't be bothered any more. Nothing I say will satisfy you so it is best to just leave it and get back to Star Wars.

BillJ wrote: View Post
But I'm just really confused how someone who got an 'A' on a Hitchcock dissertation could miss the incredibly obvious clues in regards to Spock's character?
I haven't missed anything. I've said that I find Spock more interesting when he isn't a traditionally romantic hero, but an asexual man of logic and science as those are rarer in TV/film. You then bought up rare examples of him acting romantic on the old show, which I don't like either. Then you called me a prick.
Old January 29 2013, 09:25 PM   #668
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Ah.. the 'true fan' gambit where you get to define what a 'normal fan' is or like as long as that fan likes what you like?
What is the definition of a 'normal fan', Captain Mike?

Do I qualify?
Old January 29 2013, 09:29 PM   #669
Captain Mike
Commodore

So sorry I struck your TBBS'ers nerve on what a true fan is...I meant normal movie goer....my bad.
Old January 29 2013, 09:29 PM   #670
Tom Servo
Commodore

Well Im sure Paramount cared so much about that...since they gave JJ Abrams $150 Million to make another one.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old January 29 2013, 09:30 PM   #671
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Well, I'm gonna report your vileness...
It's all good.

Eh? How can you get an A on a dissertation? I can't think of any UK Universities that use the A-F standard because of AQA guidance.
Old January 29 2013, 09:30 PM   #672
Captain Mike
Commodore

Do I qualify?
Is that all Bill????
Old January 29 2013, 09:32 PM   #673
Tom Servo
Commodore

Well Im sure Paramount cared so much about that...since they gave JJ Abrams $150 Million to make another one.

So sorry I struck your TBBS'ers nerve on what a true fan is...I meant normal movie goer....my bad.
Well the normal movie goer gave much more of a shit about this film, compared to any previous ones.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old January 29 2013, 09:32 PM   #674
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=JoeZhang;7611427]
Eh? How can you get an A on a dissertation? I can't think of any UK Universities that use the A-F standard because of AQA guidance.
I got an A on my dissertation and I've friends in the 2 or so years above me who also got graded on that scale so it isn't a new thing.
Old January 29 2013, 09:33 PM   #675
Neroon
Mod of balance

I think what your missing DalekJim is exactly what The Stig is talking about in his post. There is a moment of childhood magic that no review or dissertation can take away from fans of the original series. When I watched the movie it was like being a kid sitting in front of our old floor-model 25" color TV again.
No offence but your inarticulate, cosey, nostalgic, twee, gut-reactions are of no real use if you aren't able to explain them.
Infraction for trolling, comments to PM

The Stig wrote: View Post
I think what your missing DalekJim is exactly what The Stig is talking about in his post. There is a moment of childhood magic that no review or dissertation can take away from fans of the original series. When I watched the movie it was like being a kid sitting in front of our old floor-model 25" color TV again.
No offence but your inarticulate, cosey, nostalgic, twee, gut-reactions are of no real use if you aren't able to explain them.
If you're going to be an elitist prick, own it. You can't preface an offensive statement with 'no offense' and calmly assume that your hands are clean.

I hate to break it to you (that's a lie, I'm enjoying it quite a bit) but we're talking about entertainment. It is, by definition, a gut-reaction affair. We can go round and round on the mechanics behind it but at the end of the day these movies, television shows, books, comics, and games exist to produce an emotional response.
Infraction for flaming, comments to PM

The Stig wrote: View Post
If you're going to be an elitist prick
Could you be any more of a Top Gear fan? You're acting so loutish and faux-alpha male that I flat out refuse to talk to you anymore. Can't be good for my brain at all.
You're acting like an immature prick. Acting like you're better than other folks because you're above liking a popcorn action flick. Which you originally liked, btw.

* Just give me the infraction for flaming now. No need to post that I'm getting one.
Infraction for flaming, comments to PM
- Proverbs 12:20
Closed Thread