Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 29 2013, 08:33 PM   #646
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

THE WOMEN!

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old January 29 2013, 08:35 PM   #647
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
So because he doesn't think a work of fiction is "magical" (a meaningless term), he's going to be unsuccessful in his personality life?? WTF? What's with all this venom?!?!
I'm gonna die a bitter, lonely recluse and it's all because I didn't find a 2009 summer popcorn movie to be "magical". For not feeling said "magical" experience, I am also a "prick" apparently.

I really hate myself sometimes. I'm such a non-magical prick .
Old January 29 2013, 08:38 PM   #648
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
So because he doesn't think a work of fiction is "magical" (a meaningless term), he's going to be unsuccessful in his personality life?? WTF? What's with all this venom?!?!
I'm gonna die a bitter, lonely recluse and it's all because I didn't find a 2009 summer popcorn movie to be "magical". For not feeling said "magical" experience, I am also a "prick" apparently.

I really hate myself sometimes. I'm such a non-magical prick .
It's not what you like or dislike, we all have our disagreements. It's how you present them.
Old January 29 2013, 08:40 PM   #649
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's not what you like or dislike, we all have our disagreements. It's how you present them.
Well, we have vastly different ideas of what constitutes polite then considering you've called me a prick and all I've done to rise to it is mildly ridicule your belief that JJ Abrams is capable of magical acts.

The cult of personality surrounding him gets more ludicrous by the day. I wonder if he can cure ailments with touch too?
Old January 29 2013, 08:41 PM   #650
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, we have vastly different ideas of what constitutes polite then considering you've called me a prick and all I've done to rise to it is mildly ridicule your belief that JJ Abrams is capable of magical acts.
You act like a prick, you'll get called a prick. Such is life.
Old January 29 2013, 08:44 PM   #651
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I'm gonna report your vileness and then go make a curry. Have a good night.
Old January 29 2013, 08:46 PM   #652
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm gonna report your vileness and then go make a curry. Have a good night.
I'm guessing that you could be surprised at the outcome of said report.

Old January 29 2013, 08:51 PM   #653
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The cult of personality surrounding him gets more ludicrous by the day. I wonder if he can cure ailments with touch too?
If you can't understand that people may enjoy a movie, may find it fun and exciting and moving, if you need that explained to you with charts and graphs, if you openly express disdain and contempt at everyone who is engaged by entertainment on an emotional level, don't be surprised if people don't always take you seriously.

The kind of idol worship you're talking about doesn't exist in this thread or anywhere on this BBS. People here don't seem to have an irrational admiration for JJ Abrams, they just think he did a good job. Is that really so hard to accept?
Old January 29 2013, 08:56 PM   #654
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, I gave you a reason why you're completely wrong about Spock (and the episodes for reference) and so have others, several times, yet you choose to completely ignore them.
I haven't ignored them, I just disagree and genuinely don't see Spock/Uhura as a moving love story but as crass titillation for the casual audience that would absolutely not have existed if Star Trek was still popular. It was a cynical attempt at making Spock not look gay or weird, and to show he's one of the lads.
I guess I just have a really hard with your interpretation of the Spock/Uhura relationship. It's not like they shared a hot sex scene. She followed him into the turbolift to comfort him after his mom died. They shared a kiss.

Beyond that one kiss, they didn't do anything sexual for the rest of the move. I just don't see how an incredibly depressing scene like that counts as "crass titillation."

It's not like Spock was going around fist-bumping the crew after successfully banging the new communications officer.
Old January 29 2013, 09:04 PM   #655
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I guess I just have a really hard with your interpretation of the Spock/Uhura relationship. It's not like they shared a hot sex scene. She followed him into the turbolift to comfort him after his mom died. They shared a kiss.

Beyond that one kiss, they didn't do anything sexual for the rest of the move. I just don't see how an incredibly depressing scene like that counts as "crass titillation."

It's not like Spock was going around fist-pumping the crew after successfully banging the new communications officer.
I can't speak for DalekJim obviously, but it's been my observation that most people who denounce "crass titillation" are actually intimidated by the display of genuine human affection. It's not so much sex that make them feel uncomfortable, it's love.
Old January 29 2013, 09:06 PM   #656
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. ” - HK-47
Old January 29 2013, 09:09 PM   #657
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, that was helpful...
Old January 29 2013, 09:13 PM   #658
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Where's that Picard facepalm when you need it?

Old January 29 2013, 09:19 PM   #659
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Wouldn't it be cool if Abrams made a movie where ships from Trek and Wars fight it out to see which franchise is best, once and for all?

Uncontroversial right?
Old January 29 2013, 09:20 PM   #660
Captain Mike
Commodore

Couldn't make it through the hole thread without responding
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
When have Star Trek films ( or even Star Trek in general) been deep and substantial? Did I miss an installment? The films since TWOK have always been action oriented. What passes for deep in Trek couldn't drown an ant. They've always been more about feeling than thinking, too. It might be time for Trek fans to stop deluding themselves.
MOST of the TOS movies were about them beibg familial,...disregarding authority for each other since TWOK which is what us fans regard James Kirk in doing.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm not deluding myself at all, I could take or leave most of the Star Trek films. Apart from The Motion Picture which is brilliant because it's everything Abrams' Trek isn't.
It's also a boring, poorly written 2001 wannabe that's further away from Star Trek than Abrams film could ever be.
TMP is the only film that Roddenberry was personally involved with, which means that it was the only one that was made closer to his ideas than others of just what "Star Trek" is...and though the movie may be dull IYO I love it..
Closed Thread