Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 29 2013, 08:09 PM   #631
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Well, I gave you a reason why you're completely wrong about Spock (and the episodes for reference) and so have others, several times, yet you choose to completely ignore them.
I haven't ignored them, I just disagree and genuinely don't see Spock/Uhura as a moving love story but as crass titillation for the casual audience that would absolutely not have existed if Star Trek was still popular.
Moving love story? No where did I ever say that (not sure anyone else did either). I said it's not out of character for Spock.
Old January 29 2013, 08:12 PM   #632
BillJ
Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
If you're going to be an elitist prick
Could you be any more of a Top Gear fan? You're acting so loutish and faux-alpha male that I flat out refuse to talk to you anymore. Can't be good for my brain at all.
You're acting like an immature prick. Acting like you're better than other folks because you're above liking a popcorn action flick. Which you originally liked, btw.

* Just give me the infraction for flaming now. No need to post that I'm getting one.
Old January 29 2013, 08:13 PM   #633
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

You're acting like an immature prick.
And you personally insult other people for not liking the same romance plotlines that you do. I'm glad that another human being's feelings are less important to you than your shipping duties in a fandom.
Old January 29 2013, 08:13 PM   #634
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

It probably speaks volumes that I've always thought Luke was cooler than Han. Han doesn't even do anything in Jedi! A total spare part.
I think the difference between Hamill and Ford between Star Wars and Return of the Jedi speaks volumes. In Star Wars, Hamill is stumbling around, not knowing how to deliver half his lines, while Ford is cool and assured and gives a remarkably confident performance. By Jedi? Hamill's learned how to fucking act and is actually trying while Ford is snoozing through a paycheck. It's (one of the reasons) I've got way more respect for Hamill than Ford.

No offence but your inarticulate, cosey, nostalgic, twee, gut-reactions are of no real use if you aren't able to explain them.
Precisely. It's like people trying to justify the existence of ghosts by relating an experience their mom had when she was a little girl. Completely pointless and more than a little embarrassing.

Kirk looking at the Enterprise wasn't "magical". It was a scene lazily pasted from Star Wars.
Old January 29 2013, 08:14 PM   #635
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

Precisely. It's like people trying to justify the existence of ghosts by relating an experience their mom had when she was a little girl. Completely pointless and more than a little embarrassing.

Eh? That analogue is dreadful - they aren't anything alike at all.
Old January 29 2013, 08:17 PM   #636
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Eh? That analogue is dreadful - they aren't anything alike at all.
It's trying to justify that something is good/real not because of actual feeling, but because of something immaterial that can't be explained or justified; it just "is." No, you're right, a better comparison would be people who justify something based on "faith" except that's WAY more than a little embarrassing.
Old January 29 2013, 08:18 PM   #637
BillJ
Admiral

There's never entertainment that you like on an emotional level?
Old January 29 2013, 08:20 PM   #638
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

It's trying to justify that something is good not because of actual feeling, but because of something immaterial that can't be explained or justified.
Yup. JJ Abrams' vision of Trek is "magical"? What the fuck? Did he have a unicorn as his Director of Photography or something?
Old January 29 2013, 08:22 PM   #639
The Stig
Rear Admiral

So wait, I can't be engaged on any level except intellectual? Or if I am, since it can't be quantified, that engagement is invalid?

I don't think you understand what entertainment means.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old January 29 2013, 08:23 PM   #640
BillJ
Admiral

It's trying to justify that something is good not because of actual feeling, but because of something immaterial that can't be explained or justified.
Yup. JJ Abrams' vision of Trek is "magical"? What the fuck? Did he have a unicorn as his Director of Photography or something?
One day you'll grow up and realize just how wrong you are. I hope you're real life personality is nothing like the one you present on-line or else you'll grow old a very lonely and bitter individual.
Old January 29 2013, 08:26 PM   #641
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

One day you'll grow up and realize just how wrong you are. I hope you're real life personality is nothing like the one you present on-line or else you'll grow old a very lonely and bitter individual.
Well, you can probably guess how much I value your subjective taste and intelligence.

Then again, as a society we do sometimes value that which is scarce...

Old January 29 2013, 08:29 PM   #642
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

So because he doesn't think a work of fiction is "magical" (a meaningless term), he's going to be unsuccessful in his personality life?? WTF? What's with all this venom?!?!

Also, it's "your" real life personality.
Old January 29 2013, 08:31 PM   #643
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Well, you can probably guess how much I value your subjective taste and intelligence.

Then again, as a society we do sometimes value that which is scarce...

Not media students however with their favourite saying "Want to supersize?".
Old January 29 2013, 08:31 PM   #644
The Stig
Rear Admiral

So because he doesn't think a work of fiction is "magical" (a meaningless term), he's going to be unsuccessful in his personality life?? WTF? What's with all this venom?!?!
Not so much, no. Presentation is everything. Jim's is terrible and as they say: "Garbage in, garbage out."

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old January 29 2013, 08:31 PM   #645
BillJ
Admiral