RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,568
Posts: 5,423,284
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 440
Newest member: Dobian

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26 2013, 04:18 PM   #346
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I'm curious then, what was your point? It sounded like a dig at JJ.
It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.
That makes no sense, for reasons that should be obvious.
Well I think that it does. As with my previous posts, it's my entitled and humble opinion. And now might be a good time for you to stop riding my every word.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:19 PM   #347
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

kirk55555 wrote: View Post

Why can't I hate Abrams? He's a hack that keeps getting to destroy things I enjoy. Everything about him makes me wish I could spit in his face.
I feel really, really sorry for you. That type of feeling over someone that makes movies isn't good for you.

I've lived through good Star Trek and bad Star Trek, through good Star Wars and bad Star Wars.

The key is that I'm still alive and that they still make entertainment franchises that I love. Whether a particular installment is up to my personal standards doesn't matter. It's all gravy at this point in life.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:20 PM   #348
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Liking Galaxy Quest just means you have good taste. Every Trekkie I know loves Galaxy Quest.

"Never give up! Never surrender!"
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:21 PM   #349
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post

It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.
That makes no sense, for reasons that should be obvious.
Well I think that it does. As with my previous posts, it's my entitled and humble opinion. And now might be a good time for you to stop riding my every word.
I guess I'm just asking you to unpack your opinion. How is liking what you consider a good movie a BAD thing? How is that a dig?

And I don't see how JJ's Trek is like Galaxy Quest...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:38 PM   #350
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Galaxy Quest is better than any Star Trek movie that isn't The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan.
DalekJim is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:40 PM   #351
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

davejames wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You mean you haven't noticed that he doesn't shoot everything he does exactly the same?
Yeah, I've noticed he makes every movie look really bold and exciting and dynamic. And he populates them with lots of fun and energetic characters.

I certainly agree that his Trek was not the deepest or most complex thing ever, but it still had much more heart and character than the usual summer blockbuster. And he somehow managed to make the 40 year old Trek universe feel incredibly fresh and alive again, which is no small feat either.

I can't wait to see him do the same thing with SW.
Movie Trek has always been different from television Trek. The original series movies still managed to work in the allegorical elements and strong themes about humanity, but those have not been present in a movie in any serious way since the Undiscovered Country.
theenglish is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:48 PM   #352
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

theenglish wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You mean you haven't noticed that he doesn't shoot everything he does exactly the same?
Yeah, I've noticed he makes every movie look really bold and exciting and dynamic. And he populates them with lots of fun and energetic characters.

I certainly agree that his Trek was not the deepest or most complex thing ever, but it still had much more heart and character than the usual summer blockbuster. And he somehow managed to make the 40 year old Trek universe feel incredibly fresh and alive again, which is no small feat either.

I can't wait to see him do the same thing with SW.
Movie Trek has always been different from television Trek. The original series movies still managed to work in the allegorical elements and strong themes about humanity, but those have not been present in a movie in any serious way since the Undiscovered Country.
there is no point in making a movie if it was going to be the same as the tv show. The only reason to turn a tv show into a movie is to do the big action, the big explosions, the big special effects that aren't in a tv budget and that would be wasted on the small screen.
wissaboo is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:01 PM   #353
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

[QUOTE=Professor Zoom;7594141]
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post

I guess I'm just asking you to unpack your opinion. How is liking what you consider a good movie a BAD thing? How is that a dig?

And I don't see how JJ's Trek is like Galaxy Quest...
The point of my original post I thought clearly illustrated my opinion that Joe Johnston would have been a much better choice. I supported it with his personal experience with Star Wars. Abrams has none.

Forget the Galaxy Quest reference, it just seems to be adding unforeseen confusion, (though I'll stand by my off topic remark that Trek '09 was more than a little inspired by it) He could like Ghostbusters for all it matters, it doesn't make him any more qualified to direct Star Wars films.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:06 PM   #354
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

FordSVT wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Damn. I can understand that not everyone likes the same things, but I don't think there is any way someone could actually convince me that Abrams' Star Trek is actually that bad.
Well, watch ST TMP, the ideal of what ST wanted to be, and then watch Khan, the perfect balance, and then watch Abrams Trek. Where are the themes? Where is the human equation? Where are the big questions?

And IMHO, Star Wars had those same things in a different style. If Abrams can bring to Star Wars what he originally brought to Alias then great. If he brings Revolution or the final two years of Lost then CRAP.
ST:TMP was boring as shit. Star Trek: First Contact was awesome. A Piece of the Action was a sweet TOS episode.

I'm really tired of people telling me that "real" Star Trek has to be cerebral and moral and teach me a lesson about the human condition every step of the way. Star Trek is many things, that's the beauty of it and why it has endured.

What did "Where No Man Has Gone Before" teach me, to not cross the galactic barrier? That the day might come where I might have to kill my friend if he becomes a freak Space Mutant God?
ST is not didactic; it is literary in the sense that it explores the human condition. TMP was really about overcoming personal grievances in the face of larger issues and how different people have different callings.

A Piece of the Action was an allegory for cultural interference in third world countries.

WNMHGB was about having to make the tough decisions when you have a job that puts you in a position of power and explored the concept of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

Of course the Star Wars OT did this too.
theenglish is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:11 PM   #355
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
The point of my original post I thought clearly illustrated my opinion that Joe Johnston would have been a much better choice. I supported it with his personal experience with Star Wars. Abrams has none.
But you don't need to have "personal experience" with a franchise to do a good job with it. I'm not sure where people get the idea that you have to be a lifelong fan to "get" a series, be it STAR WARS or STAR TREK or THE GILMORE GIRLS for pete's sake.

Again, look at Nicholas Meyer, who had absolutely no "personal experience" with TREK before doing THE WRATH OF KHAN, which is still the best TREK movie to date.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:12 PM   #356
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post

It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.
That makes no sense, for reasons that should be obvious.
Well I think that it does. As with my previous posts, it's my entitled and humble opinion. And now might be a good time for you to stop riding my every word.
"Riding your word"? What does that mean? It's an idiom I'm unfamiliar with. Does it refer to me commenting on your opinions? Because that isn't going to stop. It's pretty much how a discussion board works. You say something and other posters respond. Some might agree others will disagree.

If there's a rule I've broken, please feel free to hit the notify Mod button.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Old January 26 2013, 05:21 PM   #357
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

I for one am looking forward to this. And I think JJ's going to do just fine. He respects the material and is distanced enough from it that he makes the movie for the more casual fan that's not going to be bitching on the Internet about how it "SUXORS, OMG DIEEEE!"
Peach Wookiee is online now  
Old January 26 2013, 05:25 PM   #358
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I guess I'm just asking you to unpack your opinion. How is liking what you consider a good movie a BAD thing? How is that a dig?

And I don't see how JJ's Trek is like Galaxy Quest...
The point of my original post I thought clearly illustrated my opinion that Joe Johnston would have been a much better choice. I supported it with his personal experience with Star Wars. Abrams has none.

Forget the Galaxy Quest reference, it just seems to be adding unforeseen confusion, (though I'll stand by my off topic remark that Trek '09 was more than a little inspired by it) He could like Ghostbusters for all it matters, it doesn't make him any more qualified to direct Star Wars films.

Well. You didn't LIST any qualifications. You sorta purposefully left out Abrams's body of work.

It's fine to have an opinion, but don't pretend you're laying out a well thought case.

And let's be blunt, personal experience with Star Wars doesn't guarantee success. Case in point, George Lucas and the prequels.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:37 PM   #359
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
The point of my original post I thought clearly illustrated my opinion that Joe Johnston would have been a much better choice. I supported it with his personal experience with Star Wars. Abrams has none.
But you don't need to have "personal experience" with a franchise to do a good job with it. I'm not sure where people get the idea that you have to be a lifelong fan to "get" a series, be it STAR WARS or STAR TREK or THE GILMORE GIRLS for pete's sake.

Again, look at Nicholas Meyer, who had absolutely no "personal experience" with TREK before doing THE WRATH OF KHAN, which is still the best TREK movie to date.
The point is this isn't Gilmore Girls or even Star Trek, this is Star Wars. Something that has been guided frame by frame, for better or for worse by one man. Even when directed by the likes of Kershner and Marquand, you know Lucas still held and exercised total creative control.

Now that he's sold that off and moved on It's imperative that they put someone in there that knows and understands the language of Star Wars. And from what I've seen, I fear that Abrams is simply not a good fit.

Now if Lucas was still on the set and in the editing room every day, they could go ahead and get M. Night Shamalamadingdong for all I'd care, but for some reason, I don't think that's going to be a big priority in his billion dollar married life.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 05:41 PM   #360
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

The guy who people have been whining about for years as being "too Star Wars for Star Trek" isn't a good fit?

Interesting.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
j.j. abrams, star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.