RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,148
Posts: 5,343,625
Members: 24,594
Currently online: 542
Newest member: Whiskeyjack

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old January 26 2013, 03:19 PM   #331
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
These franchises should be competitive.
Still no reason they shouldn't be.

After all, it's Abrams - "I was never a Star Trek fan" VS Abrams - "I've always been a huge Star Wars fan".
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:19 PM   #332
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just find the idea of the same person being behind Trek and Wars to be so boring it's almost sinister. These franchises should be competitive.
I agree with the sentiment but when has that ever happened? Star Wars has always been a series of extremely successful and highly popular movies, while until Star Trek, the movie Trek franchise hasn't really played in the same league. I'd say this is the first time they've ever been on equal footing and trying to reach for the same kind of success.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:21 PM   #333
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just find the idea of the same person being behind Trek and Wars to be so boring it's almost sinister. These franchises should be competitive. It makes people up their game and try harder.

Imagine if Star Trek Into Darkness is awesome (Unlikely, but possible!). Then the director making Star Wars Episode VII will REALLY feel like he has to up his game and push his art further. Then Abrams will have to push Trek even harder to compete and make his third film even better than Star Wars VII.

We won't get this if the same guy is doing both. Competition is necessary and I say that as an obsessive of both franchises.
If there HAD been competition in the past, IF, it was only among the fans. Because in reality, where it matters, Star Wars CRUSHED the Star Trek movies in the 80s.

And by matters, I mean $$$$.

So, this whole competitive thing would be new.

And who is to say Abrams won't be worried about topping himself?

When I'm working on something creative I try to do better than I did last time, I'm in competition with myself.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:22 PM   #334
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Abrams won't be worried about topping himself?
I don't think he's that depressed.
Shazam! is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:27 PM   #335
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I agree with the sentiment but when has that ever happened?
The Star Trek movies have always been compared to and competing with the Star Wars movies. I think having a different creative time for each franchise at the first time in history that Trek is a comparable rival in terms of box office buzz would have been very exciting for fans of both.

For what it's worth, I think that Abrams is a very good pick for a Star Wars director. A job he's infinitely more suited to than as director of Trek. I just hate the fact he's doing both.
DalekJim is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:29 PM   #336
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Star Trek movies have always been compared to and competing with the Star Wars movies. I think having a different creative time for each franchise at the first time in history that Trek is a comparable rival in terms of box office buzz would have been very exciting for fans of both.
Hate to brake it to you, but at a global scale, Star Trek is still a David to Star Wars' Goliath.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:30 PM   #337
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

It's after the fact, it's bitching, it's the American way; But why the hell didn't Joe Johnston get it?

He did the Rocketeer, a Jurassic Park movie and Captain America for freak sake. He's stated an interest in doing a Boba Fett movie and may even know a thing or two about Star Wars.

J.J. likes Galaxy Quest.

Unless there's some dynamic between Lucas and Johnston that I'm unaware of, perhaps Kathleen Kennedy is the one to blame for picking Spielberg's little buddy.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:30 PM   #338
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Star Trek movies have always been compared to and competing with the Star Wars movies.
Only in the same way that a rat dog can be competing with a tiger.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:36 PM   #339
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just find the idea of the same person being behind Trek and Wars to be so boring it's almost sinister. These franchises should be competitive. It makes people up their game and try harder.
There's never been any official competition between Star Trek and Star Wars. In fact, George Lucas pitched a Trek movie in the 70s.

It's only the fandoms that are rivals, and even then just a small percentage of each fandom. Most are content to enjoy both franchises.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:36 PM   #340
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Abrams won't be worried about topping himself?
I don't think he's that depressed.
I see what you did there.

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
It's after the fact, it's bitching, it's the American way; But why the hell didn't Joe Johnston get it?

He did the Rocketeer, a Jurassic Park movie and Captain America for freak sake. He's stated an interest in doing a Boba Fett movie and may even know a thing or two about Star Wars.

J.J. likes Galaxy Quest.
Galaxy Quest is a great movie.


Unless there's some dynamic between Lucas and Johnston that I'm unaware of, perhaps Kathleen Kennedy is the one to blame for picking Spielberg's little buddy.
If I had to suspect why Johnson didn't get it, I would say a couple of reasons, but in the end, it comes down to track record. Abrams has a higher box office record... he's made a lot more money for people through film and TV than Johnson has. He has been able to lead large franchises to success.

Sure, the reality is, they could hire another Marquand and Episode 7 will still be a huge success. But, Jedi was the blandest of the three. Why not hire someone that is 1. Successful 2. Young. and 3. has his own visual style?
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:43 PM   #341
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
J.J. likes Galaxy Quest.
I didn't know this. Excellent. Makes him even more suitable to direct Trek AND Wars.
Ovation is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:50 PM   #342
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Yeah, agreed. Galaxy Quest is a pretty awesome movie.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 03:51 PM   #343
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Yeah, agreed. Galaxy Quest is a pretty awesome movie.
I'm curious then, what was your point? It sounded like a dig at JJ.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:03 PM   #344
EnsignRicky
Commodore
 
EnsignRicky's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Yeah, agreed. Galaxy Quest is a pretty awesome movie.
I'm curious then, what was your point? It sounded like a dig at JJ.
It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.
__________________
Use Only As Directed
EnsignRicky is offline  
Old January 26 2013, 04:10 PM   #345
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Yeah, agreed. Galaxy Quest is a pretty awesome movie.
I'm curious then, what was your point? It sounded like a dig at JJ.
It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.
That makes no sense, for reasons that should be obvious.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
j.j. abrams, star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.