New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 25 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

The Walking Dead (Spoilers after first post)

So, I couldn't find a current thread on this game, which surprises me, because it is one of the best games I've played in years.

It's a five episode "season" of choose your own adventure games from Telltale based on the The Walking Dead comics. While you encounter a handful of established characters from the TV series and at least one seen only in the comics so far, the majority of the cast are completely new characters. All five episodes have been released on XBOX Live for download for 400 points per ep.

Other than a few plot railroad events you simply can't avoid, the majority of the choices in game of how you interact with the other characters, how you go about solving problems, and ultimately, who gets to live and who dies, are all up to you. Decisions in crisis situations and in conversation are on a timer, so you have to decide things quick and are more likely to choose with instinct rather than gaming the system for a "perfect run", which isn't possible to achieve, anyway.

Each episode can take anywhere from 2-3 hours to complete, so it's a minimum of 10 hrs for the whole season. The writing is great, the atmosphere is spot on and the characters are all relatable, even if some you love and others you pray get eaten. The art style is like a comic book with depth of field. Playthrough felt like participating in an epic miniseries and the game is addictive like the television series or a really good book. I had to wait months between episodes, but you all who haven't played yet can get them all at once.

At the end of each episode, you get a next on preview based on choices you made throughout the current ep and then you get to see how your choices stacked up with the rest of the people who played (were you in the majority or minority on choosing this or that).

I can't recommend this game enough. If you like zombies, are into the comics or TV series or just like a good story, you have to check this thing out. Be warned that it is an adult-themed game with full gore, violence and language, and so not for children.

I'd be interested in hearing what others thought of the game and what choices you all made, who you allied with, and what were your favorite and least favorite characters/events /choices.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead (Spoilers after first post)

I nabbed this from the Steam 50% off sale last week and I really loved it as well. Some of my decisions:

Old November 26 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Old November 26 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
The Engineer
Commander

Spectacular game. Easily wins game of the year in my book.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 11:40 PM   #5
The Engineer
Commander

Old November 28 2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

The Engineer wrote: View Post
Old November 29 2012, 05:10 AM   #7
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

The Engineer wrote: View Post
Spectacular game. Easily wins game of the year in my book.

This. I can't remember the last time I cared this much for a group of game characters. And the person who wrote Clem, and whoever did her voice acting deserve some kind of award. I think shes one of the only kid I've ever seen in a game who wasn't annoying.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 03:51 PM   #8
superdeluxe
Captain

I really loved the game, I just didn't like how no matter what my choices were, several of the things were already pre-determined, there were several gut punching points in the series, and generally felt pretty upset by the end. (But for a game to make you feel that way, it is really a good thing I guess?)

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Just thought I'd mention, the site Twenty Sided has started doing The Walking Dead this week for its latest Spoiler Warning video series. (Also check out the "DM of the Rings" webcomic series on the site if you've never had the pleasure before, it's hilarious.)

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/
Old November 30 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
SonOfMogh
Commander

This is easily my favourite game of all time.

Anyone who hasn't played it already is in for a treat.
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Just finished my "Lee is a total dick" playthrough where I picked all the worst dialogue choices, made all the worst decisions, and tried to kill as many people as possible. I think it'd be interesting to also try a "mute Lee" playthrough sometime, where whenever a timed dialogue choice comes up, just let it run out and say nothing and see how things play out.

Old December 3 2012, 05:57 AM   #12
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

I was tempted to do a jerk playthrough when I first met Kenny and then immediately got yelled at for not moving fast enough to save his son. I could tell he was going to be a real pain in my ass the rest of the game, but I held strong and tried to react how I thought I would in such a situation, and Kenny turned out OK.

There were too many characters I liked, anyway, so I didn't want to be a jerk most of the time. Lily and Ben made me wish for more violent options in response to their actions, though.

I almost don't want to play through it again, because I've seen "my" story already, and I'm afraid it'll get too gamey if I'm choosing different answers just to see things turn out differently. It might be fun to watch someone else go through it for the first time.
Old December 3 2012, 03:04 PM   #13
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I'm a big fan of the comics, but I haven't really started playing this game yet. I did purchase the season pass during a Steam sale back when only two episodes had been released, but my computer doesn't seem to tolerate the game much (despite meeting the recommended requirements). I'm waiting on the retail disc release to dive into it on my Xbox.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Ok, I've just been sitting here laughing and in tears for 5 minutes straight:

Old December 4 2012, 08:31 AM   #15
The Engineer
Commander

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I'm a big fan of the comics, but I haven't really started playing this game yet. I did purchase the season pass during a Steam sale back when only two episodes had been released, but my computer doesn't seem to tolerate the game much (despite meeting the recommended requirements). I'm waiting on the retail disc release to dive into it on my Xbox.
What kind of problems have you been having? Because the game doesn't really run well on any platform. It tends to pause and shit to load different branching events.