Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Snowmen?
God bless us, every one! (Fantastic) 63 45.32%
Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good) 45 32.37%
Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good) 24 17.27%
Not enough Robot Santas (Fair) 4 2.88%
Bah humbug! (Terrible) 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26 2012, 05:15 AM   #91
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Re: The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

I loved, loved, LOVED all the Second Doctor references! For those of you not familiar, that would be:
The crumpled stovepipe hat
The Great Intelligence
The "snowmen"
The London Underground map from '67
and possibly some I've forgotten.

Get ahold of the surviving fragments and descriptions of "The Abominable Snowmen" and, especially, "The Web of Fear" to follow the trail.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:16 AM   #92
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

The ending was tolerable, but could have been better. Though it is interesting that its basically a set-up for The Abominable Snowmen and Web of Fear. Such a shame that that story is missing. Heck it seemed like this whole special was mostly setting up other stories.

But this is a story that I really wish could have been longer. Having a more dejected, angry Doctor at the beginning would have made the story so much stronger.

The opening credits and theme could use some tweeking. Maybe less random swirls of color and a stronger bass line.

A little pissed off that we didn't get our hoped for Victorian companion. Poor Clara. A bit surprised that the Doc didn't go back into sulk mode, having just lost another companion.

More Strax please.

"Automated laser monkeys, scalpel mines, and acid!"

And my, Lady Vastra does seem to enjoy freaking out the hairless apes doesn't she?

Tardis interior was small than I had expected. But I'm fine. Still looked great!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; December 26 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Cutter John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:18 AM   #93
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Yes, the enemy is the Great Intelligence - the animating mind behind the Yeti. The insinuation of the episode seems to be that this is it's first encounter with the Doctor.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:28 AM   #94
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

And will spend the next 120 years beneath London re-energizing itself. Though I'm not sure how it ends up in Tibet.

Anyway, I'm off to Gallifrey Base now. Pray for me.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:31 AM   #95
nightwind1
Commodore

Procutus wrote: View Post
"Good evening. I'm a Lizard-woman from the Dawn of Time."

"...and this is my wife."

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:42 AM   #96
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Is there a "Christmas Carol" analogy with Clara?

Future
Past

and now present.

10 bucks says The Doctor will make all Clara's come back alive and meet

internet fanboys explode as THREE Jenna's interact.
Old December 26 2012, 05:49 AM   #97
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Loved it!!!!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 06:13 AM   #98
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I really enjoyed it. It had more to it than most of the Christmas specials but still felt like a "special" if you know what I mean. Loved Starx.
Old December 26 2012, 06:16 AM   #99
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Jenna Louise-Coleman can act, is attractive, and has a ton of great chemistry with Matt Smith. BEST. COMPANION. EVER.

In all seriousness, with this episode I picked the third option, jolly good fun, as I liked the episode, but I've already forgotten about the snowmen plot. It seemed like that part of the episode kind of just stopped and they could have developed it a lot better.

This episode was mainly getting to know Clara, and how she and the Doctor work together. I liked seeing Vastra, Jenny and Strax again, but Colemen and Smith carried this episode and did it really really well. I'm really excited about the exploits they will have together and while I wish she was just "normal", I'm not bothered by her "mystery".

Oh, and when the Tardis lit up to show the new control room in all it's glory, I had a flashback in coolness factor to the first episode, Rose. Seeing the new Control Room was great, and this is a lot better than the old chaotic control room from the previous seasons. I really do wish they would explain the change though. I mean I know it's a desktop theme, but why does the Tardis change, and how? Just that entire scene when we see the Tardis again for the first time and everything is lit up and the look on Clara's face is one of my favorite Doctor Who scenes in a long long time. Really looking forward to the back half of the season.

As for the theme song, I was a little disappointed it was the same theme as the previous two seasons but the visuals just changed. I loved the visual change, but I really wish the actual theme was a little more simplistic (Like during the RTD era) than what we've gotten.
Old December 26 2012, 06:31 AM   #100
Aldo
Admiral

I loved it. Of course my expectations were lowered as I didn't much care for the past two X-Mas specials (too much fluff, not enough meat). I also love Clara, she is one of the prettiest women I've ever seen, and the mystery they set up is going to be an interesting one.

Speaking of the mystery, I could have sworn I read a few months ago that they wouldn't really mention the connection between Clara and Oswin in the Christmas special, and yet they brought it up a few times, plus including my favorite scene from 'Asylum' (Oswin saying "Remember" while looking straight into the camera). Then seeing present day Clara pop up outside her grave was the perfect icing on the cake, I was extremely annoyed that they chose to end of the episode there. Annoyed and intrigued, actually.

And I have nothing bad to say about the new console room. I love it, it reminds me of the classic shows room and the room from the tv-movie. It does feel a bit more cramped, but I can't help but feel that's a bit on purpose (whether budgetary reasons, or due to them wanting to homage the old show).

And oh yeah, the plot about the snowmen was decent, but this was more about introducing Clara, which was far more interesting.
Old December 26 2012, 07:22 AM   #101
Worf2DS9
Writer

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
As for the theme song, I was a little disappointed it was the same theme as the previous two seasons but the visuals just changed. I loved the visual change, but I really wish the actual theme was a little more simplistic (Like during the RTD era) than what we've gotten.
Actually the theme arrangement was definitely changed along with the visuals. I'm not sure how I feel about the theme right now; I'll have to listen to it properly once I'm back home. The new title sequence is a nice change, though not particularly amazing. Smith's face is hardly there at all (blink and you miss him), but overall the whole new look is a nice change, including the TARDIS doors opening on the post-credits scene.

Loved Jenna-Louise (would have preferred Victorian Clara to be the companion), loved seeing Vastra & Jenny again (spin-off please!), and Strax was surprisingly amusing. The snowman plot was a little tame compared to all the good stuff (oh, including the new interior!), but overall a very enjoyable special.

Bring on 7-B! (SPACE here didn't show a preview clip of the rest of the season, so I guess I'll have to catch that on YouTube)
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 07:44 AM   #102
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, I thought that was fantastic. The resolution was probably a little lame, but I think the rest of the episode far outweighs that one small part of it. Strax is freaking hilarious and I hope we see him more often. And Jenna-Louise Coleman was excellent. She and Matt Smith have some tremendous chemistry together. I can't wait to see more of Clara, and I find this little mystery surrounding her rather intriguing. This may be my favorite of all the Christmas specials so far. I was supremely entertained from start to finish.

And so begins the long wait for Spring.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 08:07 AM   #103
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Actually the theme arrangement was definitely changed along with the visuals. I'm not sure how I feel about the theme right now; I'll have to listen to it properly once I'm back home. The new title sequence is a nice change, though not particularly amazing. Smith's face is hardly there at all (blink and you miss him), but overall the whole new look is a nice change, including the TARDIS doors opening on the post-credits scene.
Ok, I definitely didn't notice. Thought it sounded the same.
Old December 26 2012, 08:35 AM   #104
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I have to say that I'm relieved that we didn't get a Victorian companion.
Old December 26 2012, 09:19 AM   #105
Orac
Admiral

So how long do we have to wait for another episode now?

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #55: Assignment Earth
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote