Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Snowmen?
God bless us, every one! (Fantastic) 63 45.32%
Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good) 45 32.37%
Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good) 24 17.27%
Not enough Robot Santas (Fair) 4 2.88%
Bah humbug! (Terrible) 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28 2012, 07:05 PM   #226
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

Loved it. Probably not quite as much as A Christmas Carol, but very good nonetheless.

Roll on 7.2 now.....
Old December 28 2012, 08:57 PM   #227
Worf2DS9
Writer

As others mentioned, I was also intrigued by the Doctor saying that Strax gave his life for a friend of his, then another friend brought him back. Glad to see we're going to get a follow-up on that, even if only as a DVD easter egg.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 09:21 PM   #228
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Very mediocre episode for me.......only bits i sat up and took intrest in were the new intro and the new console room.........looking forward to more of those two in 2013.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 11:29 PM   #229
Worf2DS9
Writer

One thing I couldn't help but be reminded of when I looked through some screencaps of the episode was the colour red as applied to Clara/Oswin in the episodes she has been (and will be) seen in. Oswin had that dynamite red dress and sneakers, Victorian Clara had the red & black frock, and present day Clara has the red shoulder bag.

Not sure if it means anything in particular, but it's kinda neat.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 11:30 PM   #230
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Why isn't River his permanent companion at this point? They're married.
Well, the real world reason is because Alex Kingston isn't available to be a series regular.
Old December 28 2012, 11:50 PM   #231
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I would love it if they could work out a series for the two of them together. Even if just a half season, but some time when she is the only Companion.
Old December 29 2012, 12:10 AM   #232
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Runaway Bride also.
Right thanks, I do enjoy that one. As well as End of Time, which I never think of as an xmas special.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:44 AM   #233
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Watched this on my flight back to Japan but I'm only just getting the chance to comment. I loved every moment of it, although it wasn't quite as wonderful as "A Christmas Carol."

The overall story was a bit predictable but that was easily overlooked by the great rapport Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, as well as the supporting cast of Neve McIntosh, Catrin Stewart, Dan Starkey, Richard E. Grant, and Ian McKellan (again, it's a shame it was just his voice but I guess he was too busy with The Hobbit for a live role). Even I hadn't been spoiled that The Great Intelligence was returning, I'm fairly certain I would have figured out it sooner than later, especially with the underground reference. I'm curious to read how new fans react to The Great Intelligence and whether or not they think its too similar to the Nestene Consciousness and the Autouns.

While it was great fun to see Madame Vastra (inspiration for Sherlock Holmes, such cheek, Moffat! ), Jenny and Strax ("I suggest a full-frontal assault with automated laser monkeys, scalpel mines, and acid.") again, I was much more enchanted by the enigmatic Clara. Doesn't help much that Coleman is cute as a button, but the way she moves from scene with such stubborn grace and curiosity that thrills me. She's like a wonderful mix between Zoe, Leela, Romana II, and Amy, if you see you what I mean. Add on top of all of this, how does she keep coming back to life? I love a good mystery!

A few random thoughts:

Upon seeing Clara as a barmaid in this time period, I couldn't help but think of Ellie from Big Finish's Jago & Litefoot series.

Maybe because I recently watched the entirety of Game of Thrones and just started the first novel in the A Song of Ice and Fire, I laughed when someone (I can't remember who now) said "winter is coming."

I can already tell people are going to either love or hate the new opening sequence. The classic theme disappears ever slightly more and the equence is quite bombastic (in some ways, it reminds me of McCoy's). But I don't care, I loved it. Especially the return of The Face! I am curious to see how fans react to that.

We didn't get much of a look of the new TARDIS console room, but I already love it. Great callback to the classic console for so many years. I can't wait to see more of the TARDIS interior.

Lastly, I love the twist from the usual "Bigger in the inside" to "It's smaller on the outside!"

I gave the episode a "very good" but I might upgrade it upon rewatching the episode.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:51 AM   #234
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I don't think anybody else has mentioned this yet. Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed the musical score this time, particularly Clara's theme. It's very bright, cheerful, and playful.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 05:52 AM   #235
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I loved her theme as well, and can't wait to get the score when it's released.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 05:56 AM   #236
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

I feel really dumb. I forgot to check the end of the episode for a trailer until Lonemagpie mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Are they going all Southpark ? 'Oh My God They Killed Clara' every episode...
More like "Oh My God They Killed Rory!"

Captain Dago wrote: View Post
I loved, loved, LOVED all the Second Doctor references! For those of you not familiar, that would be:
The crumpled stovepipe hat
The Great Intelligence
The "snowmen"
The London Underground map from '67
and possibly some I've forgotten.

Get ahold of the surviving fragments and descriptions of "The Abominable Snowmen" and, especially, "The Web of Fear" to follow the trail.
I also loved all of The Second Doctor references (especially the stovepipe hat), but I feel foolish for missing the most obvious one: the "snowmen."

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
And I'm back from GB. When four pages of posts turned up arguing that the Doctor was a bastard from not materializing the Tardis underneath Clara to catch her when she fell, I figured it was time to GTFO.
I never joined Gallifrey Base. The horror stories people bring back here are more than enough to make sure I won't even try to go there.
I only ever go over there for the audio & music forum which is a very calm and down-to-earth forum and a great place to regularly discuss Big Finish. Pity the rest of the board can't follow suit

Starkers wrote: View Post
One major problem of course...they hired the wrong Silent witness cast member!!
Don't worry. The day will come when your beloved Emilia Fox will show up on Doctor Who and you can die a happy man.

Old December 29 2012, 06:20 AM   #237
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I would love it if they could work out a series for the two of them together. Even if just a half season, but some time when she is the only Companion.
All other things being equal (good writing and other basics like that), that would be brilliant. Shame it'll probably never happen.
Old December 29 2012, 06:42 AM   #238
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
All other things being equal (good writing and other basics like that), that would be brilliant. Shame it'll probably never happen.
I would like that to happen, too, but I doubt it'll happen.

But stranger things are known to happen. Most people here didn't expect to see Donna again and certainly not as a primary companion for a season (and loving her, no less).

Old December 29 2012, 03:12 PM   #239
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I also loved all of The Second Doctor references (especially the stovepipe hat), but I feel foolish for missing the most obvious one: the "snowmen."
I love it because it's a double reference. It's a reference to The [Abominable] Snowmen, but also to The Snowman (really, only the introductory scene fits the story, but it's a nice subtle touch as opposed to the non-subtle last two years).
Old December 29 2012, 06:45 PM   #240
Mr Light
Admiral

What episode is the Great Intelligence from?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote