Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 24 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Should she have won?

A contestant on Wheel of Fortune has lost because of her pronunciation of a word.

As I have a hearing problem I cannot tell if her pronunciation of 'swimming' in so incorrect as to deny her. To me it sounds right but other may hear it differently. Or it might be because I am an Australian.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; December 24 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 11:38 PM   #2
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Should she had won?

Yeah, she was robbed. In many American dialects the "g" at the end of a word is almost never pronounced.
Old December 24 2012, 11:54 PM   #3
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Meh, I'm pretty sure that my English teacher, who was always complaining that we were loaning English incorrectly, would suggest that -ing should be transformed into -in instead using a fully audible "g" or "k", because that's way closer to the way it sounds. I can barely tell -ing and -in apart. For me, there's no difference.

But good thing she did not know there was a "g" at the end of the word, so that they might have a ground to stand on... Oh, wait.
Old December 24 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say she misses off the 'g'. I'm into two minds over it, yes strictly speaking she mispronunced the word, whilst it might be true that certain dialects in America don't pronunce the 'g'. Unless the dictionary says pronuncing it without the 'g' is acceptable she was technically incorrect in her solution. But it seems a bit harsh and perhaps some lee-way should be given.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:00 AM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
Meh, I'm pretty sure that my English teacher, who was always complaining that we were loaning English incorrectly, would suggest that -ing should be transformed into -in instead using a fully audible "g" or "k", because that's way closer to the way it sounds. I can barely tell -ing and -in apart. For me, there's no difference.

But good thing she did not know there was a "g" at the end of the word, so that they might have a ground to stand on... Oh, wait.
I think perhaps the difference between words ending in 'in' as opposed to 'ing' is the length of the 'i', in words ending 'ing' the 'i' sound is longer.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old December 25 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

She was robbed. Clearly she knew there was a "g" at the end of the word, and if they don't take different regional accents and pronunciations into account (which I find hard to believe given the wide variety of accents I've heard on the show over the years when I've occasionally tuned in) they should have given her a chance to repeat the phrase in full before moving on to the next contestant.

The saddest thing about all of this is that poor Odo_Ital will never be able to win at Wheel of Fortune.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Data Holmes
Admiral

No. She should not have won.
Old December 25 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I speak English as a second language, but even I know there's a difference between swimming and swimmin'. Reneé didn't pronounce it correctly, so she lost.
Old December 25 2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

^ It's clear that she was fully aware of the difference between the two and knew there was a "g" at the end. Either she was being folksy and leaving off the g on purpose, or that's how she typically pronounces it. Either way, I think she should have been given another chance to say it.

What are the rules about pronunciation on Wheel? I know on Jeopardy they give you a chance to restate the question if you mispronounce something the first time. Do they not allow that on Wheel?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 03:04 AM   #10
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

True. I hardly ever watch Wheel anymore, but the producers/judges (?) are usually quite rigid when it comes pronunciations. In a lot of cases, though, the contestant simply guesses the wrong word, for instance, "Satellite Disc" instead of saying "Satellite Dish."
Old December 25 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
No. She should not have won.
I agree. You are on a wordplay game show, enunciate and speak clearly.

Gryff Gryngle wrote: View Post
True. I hardly ever watch Wheel anymore, but the producers/judges (?) are usually quite rigid when it comes pronunciations. In a lot of cases, though, the contestant simply guesses the wrong word, for instance, "Satellite Disc" instead of saying "Satellite Dish."
They have to set a neutral standard somewhere. You have people from all over the country and world on that show. While you can't fault someone for a regional dialect, you can certainly fault them for not saying the whole word.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 07:56 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

^The easiest and fairest standard would be pronuncitations listed in the dictionary.
Old December 25 2012, 08:19 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I want to see something like that with the word 'Worcestershire'.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Ethros
Vice Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

^

She lost fair and square, I'm sure she read the rules.

Last edited by Gil T.Azell; December 26 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote