Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 30 2012, 01:06 AM   #46
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Re: What is "The Fall"?

^ They'll sell well when the new movie comes out.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 01:22 AM   #47
Relayer1
Commodore

They'll sell well anyway.

You'd think I was old enough and ugly enough not to be surprised when other people like different things to me...
Old December 30 2012, 01:26 AM   #48
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The "Fall" in question isn't Romulus, is it? We all know what eventually happens to it. Isn't it about time for the Hobus Supernova to go down?
As of the latest book we are in 2384, Hobus blew it's top in 2387.
They can always do another time jump.

Without explaining anything that happened in the intervening time (re: Ascendants).
Old December 30 2012, 01:48 AM   #49
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm not sure the novels are allowed to touch anything from the movie. Squeezing 5 novels into a 60-day period may be the start of an epic push to draw out these last 3 in-universe years until JJ Abrams and co. leave the franchise
Old December 30 2012, 01:52 AM   #50
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Not entirely limited to TOS stories. We've got the TNG eBook The Stuff of Dreams coming in April and Rise of the Federation coming in July.
No disrespect to the authors, just to the subject period, but it does seem like a very long stretch of rather uninspiring 5yr Mission TOS.

I am excited about your Rise Of The Federation though...
My feelings exactly.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:03 AM   #51
Relayer1
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Squeezing 5 novels into a 60-day period may be the start of an epic push to draw out these last 3 in-universe years until JJ Abrams and co. leave the franchise
This could happen - there's about three and a half in universe years (?) before the Hobus event. It could take twice that in 'real' years to get there...
Old December 30 2012, 02:23 AM   #52
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I'm not sure the novels are allowed to touch anything from the movie. Squeezing 5 novels into a 60-day period may be the start of an epic push to draw out these last 3 in-universe years until JJ Abrams and co. leave the franchise
But if that were what the editors wanted, why these huge jumps forward in time from the post-Destiny stuff in '81 to the initial Typhon Pact miniseries set mostly in '82 to the more recent TP stuff in '83 to Cold Equations in '84? Over the last three years, the 24th-century novels have advanced in roughly real time. By comparison, filling in 2376, just the first year after DS9, took four years if you count from Avatar, five if you count from Gemworld.

If the editors' goal were what you say, then, it would have to be a pretty sudden change of policy. So maybe it's simply that The Fall takes 60 days because that's what worked best for this particular story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:55 AM   #53
vorador33
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well if the books aren't allowed to touch anything from the films and Abrams takes as long to get film number 3 into cinemas as he has Into Darkness then they're going to have to slow down eventually regardless of what the editors want.
vorador33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 03:16 AM   #54
Jarrod
Ensign

Not being able to touch JJ Trek isn't really a hindrance at all. Just look at the wonders that Big Finish has been able to do to the Doctor Who universe, while not being able to touch the New Series.
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:15 PM   #55
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Why jump now to the destruction of the Eisn system. A few more years of a fractured Typhon pact and the Hobus event may finish it off?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:01 PM   #56
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)

vorador33 wrote: View Post
Well if the books aren't allowed to touch anything from the films and Abrams takes as long to get film number 3 into cinemas as he has Into Darkness then they're going to have to slow down eventually regardless of what the editors want.
Since the Hobus Supernova event occurred in the Prime Timeline, I see no legitimate reason - nor have I ever heard one thrown out by anyone officially associated with Trek Lit - that the event cannot be addressed in Prime Timeline books. The only constraint I could see would be if whatever Pocket puts out has to substantially jive with the Countdown comics.

I believe the edict is that nothing in the nuTrek timeline can be touched at the moment by Pocket - outside of film novelizations. That does not include Hobus, which is specifically stated to have occurred in the Prime Timeline.

Of course, I am open to correction...

Rob+
Old December 31 2012, 05:35 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I don't know if this is the case, but as I said in another thread, a publisher could be constrained from mentioning something that was part of the same timeline if they didn't have the license for the particular part of the franchise it came from -- like the way Marvel wasn't supposed to reference any TOS storylines in their post-TMP comic (though they slipped in plenty of subtle nods anyway) or the way IDW currently doesn't have a DS9, VGR, or ENT license. What fictitious "timeline" something is in doesn't matter at all to the legal departments and licensing people; all that matters is what TV or movie series they belong to, since they're treated as separate entities from a licensing standpoint.

Of course, Pocket's license has always included everything ST before, and a sister imprint is publishing Abramsverse YA novels, so again, I'm just speaking hypothetically of how it could be the case, not saying anything about whether it is. I have no clue what Pocket's plans are for dealing with 2387 and Romulus.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:35 PM   #58
Relayer1
Commodore

FatherRob wrote: View Post
vorador33 wrote: View Post
Since the Hobus Supernova event occurred in the Prime Timeline, I see no legitimate reason - nor have I ever heard one thrown out by anyone officially associated with Trek Lit - that the event cannot be addressed in Prime Timeline books. The only constraint I could see would be if whatever Pocket puts out has to substantially jive with the Countdown comics.

I believe the edict is that nothing in the nuTrek timeline can be touched at the moment by Pocket - outside of film novelizations. That does not include Hobus, which is specifically stated to have occurred in the Prime Timeline.

Of course, I am open to correction...

Rob+
I'd think that they are obligated TO include the Hobus Supernova as part of the deal with tie-ins is to adhere to on-screen cannon.
Old December 31 2012, 10:43 PM   #59
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I suppose the novels could do with Romulus, something like what John Peel did with Skaro in the DW novel War of the Daleks...
Old December 31 2012, 10:45 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'd think that they are obligated TO include the Hobus Supernova as part of the deal with tie-ins is to adhere to on-screen cannon.
But is Bad Robot canon legally the same as Paramount/CBS canon?