Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead renewed for season 4/Glen Mazzara out

I want to know who Mazzara pissed off. This has "he doesn't kiss enough ass" written all over it. It's a nonsensical, counterproductive decisions. Someone in a suit thinks the showrunner doesn't matter and, per usual, they're wrong.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 09:25 AM   #17
throwback
Captain

I am not in a tizzy about this. I will form after an opinion after I have seen the fourth season.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I want to know who Mazzara pissed off. This has "he doesn't kiss enough ass" written all over it. It's a nonsensical, counterproductive decisions. Someone in a suit thinks the showrunner doesn't matter and, per usual, they're wrong.
Apparently, this is how AMC works. They had almost lost Mad Men after the 4th season, had almost lost Breaking Bad, slashed the budget of The Walking Dead before the second season and caused Frank Darabont to quit, despite the great ratings. They don't seem to understand the principle of "if it works, don't fuck with it".

It won't be long before no sane person will pitch his show ideas to AMC.
Old December 23 2012, 06:32 PM   #19
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I hear they've also renewed their remake of the Killing for a third season. Has anyone actually enjoed that series?

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Mad Men gets the awards, Walking Dead gets the ratings.
And Breaking Bad rules the internets.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
It's a nonsensical, counterproductive decisions. Someone in a suit thinks the showrunner doesn't matter and, per usual, they're wrong.
The worst thing is is that season 3 has easily been the best stretch of the series. One can't hold Glen Mazzara completely to blame for how slow the second season was - Walking Dead's budget was slashed (after it was clear it was a monster hit for AMC) and the AMC wanted the whole thing filmed indoors, preferably on a single set. That the season had iffy character work can be more fairly laid at Mazzara's feet, but given a decent budget he's made season 3 a rollercoaster ride of Stuff Happening, with a real sense of momentum and arcing.

It's not been perfect - the often weak character writing that bedevilled season two rears its head more than once - but Walking Dead's first half of its third season was one of my most entertaining TV shows of 2012.

It's entirely possible the show can keep steamrolling along without him - it has Kirkman's comic to draw on, and Mazzara himself was a replacement (and frankly an improvement) over Frank Darabont - but I'd prefer this kind of thing to stop happening.

Shurik wrote: View Post
It won't be long before no sane person will pitch his show ideas to AMC.
Breaking Bad ends next year. Mad Men has what, two seasons left? Pretty soon AMC will be relying on Walking Dead, and although that show brings the ratings like crazy it doesn't quite bring the prestige.
Old December 24 2012, 02:55 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

Article: AMC's showrunner follies may well scare off other creative talent

AMC better treat TWD better since MM and BB are going to be gone soon.

Why would people bother taking their ideas to AMC if they know they are going to get replaced after a season or two of the show being on the air?

Imagine if Paramount fired Piller just after one season of TNG...
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 09:25 AM   #21
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
My worry is that the new showrunner will suck and just drive the show into the ground. That's always a risk when you bring in a new showrunner.
Apparently, this is how AMC works. They had almost lost Mad Men after the 4th season, had almost lost Breaking Bad, slashed the budget of The Walking Dead before the second season and caused Frank Darabont to quit, despite the great ratings. They don't seem to understand the principle of "if it works, don't fuck with it".
Like I said...

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Paging Fred Freiberger.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Morpheus 02
Commodore

i'm waiting for the announcement that Kevin Smith will be replaced on COmic Book Men.
So who's the exec in charge of this at AMC? Who are TWD's major sponsors? Let's let THEM know what we think!
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 03:18 PM   #23
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I'm guessing we won't be seeing Glen on The Talking Dead much, if at all, the back half of the season!

You have to wonder about the person who takes the job, if they'll sign on because of the high profile, or if they will be hesitant to do anything but kiss AMC's ass.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Kegg
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
You have to wonder about the person who takes the job, if they'll sign on because of the high profile,
Glen Mazzara was a writer for WD before he was the showrunner. I'd assume the next showrunner will be one of the show's current writers.
Old December 24 2012, 07:54 PM   #25
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
I was referring more to the personality than the actual person. Will it be someone who comes in, expecting not to last long or someone who comes in, ready to kiss ass in hopes of staying.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old December 24 2012, 09:36 PM   #26
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

AMC has a history of f-cking with their Creative Talent. They're run by corporate eggheads who don't know or care about the effect of creative quality.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 10:01 PM   #27
Snaploud
Admiral

They're obviously still hoping to find a showrunner that can do a zombie show entirely from the set of an apartment.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 04:12 PM   #28
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Ooh, the new Odd Couple: one's an orderly, anal-retentive, type-A personality, the other is undead!
Old December 26 2012, 08:35 AM   #29
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Felix: Will you please clean up after your meals! Just yesterday I found two fingers buried in the sofa cushions. Do you know how hard it is to get bloodstains out of the upholstery?!
Oscar: Urrggh....
Felix: And no more keeping brains in your room "for a midnight snack".
Oscar: Urrggh....
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:51 AM   #30
Mojochi
Commodore

They don't seem to understand the principle of "if it works, don't fuck with it".
That & they don't understand that the more times you disrupt the show & lose people who know what they're doing, the more you run the risk of bringing in a show runner that will damage the show irreparably
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote